The simFlight Network Forums

How do you remove FSUIPC? (When you really don't want to)

Peter:

I am attaching a copy of an email I sent to Peter McLeland concerning his great new Dreamfleet 737-400 Panel adaptation. Revelance I think will be obvious. I am sorry, but when I pasted it here, it somewhat jumbled it and removed my indexed numbering.

First of all, I don't want to remove FSUIPC, except when I am useing the DF737 if that is necessary (which I seriously doubt).

I have found though, that when I remove the FSUIPC.dll from my modules folder in FS9, that I cannot startup FS9. This seems strange to me. Is this normal, or am I missing something somewhere?

I make to the "Loading Scenery Objects" window. Nothing loads, and a few seconds later, FS9 closes.

RTH

Copy to Peter McCleland:

Peter:

First, let me thank you for the beautiful work. Your effort at preserving this fine panel is greatly appreciated.

Everything works beautifully so far as near as I can tell with one exception. The plane flies beautifully, and everything on the panel works great (excluding my one exception)

With my tail between my legs, I have to confess that I missed something somewhere, or messed up in the order of installation in some way. My one problem is that every time I try to select the FMC, I get a "Run Time Error 53, File not found" error message. If you already know my mistake, you can ignore the rest of this dialogue.

My one piece of confusion is as follows:

In the beginning of the Dreamfleet-FFX Merge instructions you state definitely that this panel will not Work with FSUIPC installed.

A little latter on page 2 you state: "Leave your existing disabled one FSUIPC.dll.dis as it is, for the moment." "For the moment" would imply to me that at some later state this dll will be enabled, although I overlooked where in the instructions.

"The Dreamfleet Merges and FSUIPC.doc" adds to the implication that FSUIPC may now be implemented, and I am afraid that is the only way I have been able to get FS9 to run since installing FSUIPC.

When I leave the dll renamed and do not implement it, I cannot get FS9 to run. I get to the "Loading. Scenery Objects" step in the startup, and it closes on me. If I can find out how to contact Peter Dowson, I will ask him about this.

Note: I am running FSUIPC Version 3.11. I even tried going back to version 3.08 to see if that would make any difference. Again, so far I have been unsuccessful at running FS9 without the FSUIPC.dll since installing FSUIPC.

My steps in condensed form were as follows:

Renamed FSUIPC.dll

Installed the Dreamfleet 737-400 from my CD

Restarted my computer

Deleted the FSUIPC.dll installed from the CD

Downloaded ba737package.zip and 737rollout.zip from avsim.

Note: These are duplicates to ba737pck.zip and 737 metal.zip on the flightsim.com site

For some reason they would not download on my system from flightsim.

Made a copy of Flight One 737-400 and remaned to Dreamfleet-FFX B737-400

The only loose files shown were those specified to not to be deleted. Left them as is

Deleted all folders except for the panel and sound folders

Originated Model.FFX and Texture.Boeing folders

Copied British Airways FFX 737-400 Model folder contents to my Model .FFX folder

Copied 7374Rollout textures to my Texture.Boeing folder.

Copied the Dreamfleet-FXX Merge aircraft.cfg and Pmmerge.air files to the Dreamfllet_FFX B737-400 folder

Copied the Dreamfleet-FFX Merge Panel.CFG, DF734_right_wing.bmp, DF734_left_wing.BMP amd DF734_seat.bmp files to the Dreamfleet.FFX B737-400 Panel folder

Copied the Dreamfleet-FFX Merge Test Flight files to My Documents\Flight Simulator Files

Copied the Dreamfleet-FFX-Merge Flight Plan to the 737 FMC Saved Plans

Copied the magdec.fmc file to my 737 Flight Management Computer\Data Folder

Downloaded rg737pan.zip (Using another computer.. Did not find this file at the Avsim site.)

Copied the F100_ADI-EFIS.gau and RealCRT.NDs.gau into my FS9 Gauge folder

Copied the Upgrade the EADI and EHSI in both merges panel.cfg file to my Dreamfleet.FFX B737-400 Panel folder.

Edited the FSUIPC.ini file to include MakeItVersionFS2002=yes

System:

P4/3.2 CPU

P4C800 Deluxe MB

1G/400 Mem

WinXPPro

Ti4600 Primary

Diamond Stealth PCI Secondary

Triple Monitors

NVIDIA 52.16

FS9

Directx9.0b

If you see my mistake, I sure would appreciate your help. It is obvious that you have saved one of the best addon’s ever available for FS.

Thank you:

RTH

First of all, I don't want to remove FSUIPC, except when I am useing the DF737 if that is necessary (which I seriously doubt).

It should never be necessary to remove FSUIPC. I know of no reason to ever do so. But possibly, if you want full use of its facilities (including support, for instance), you should Register it?

I have found though, that when I remove the FSUIPC.dll from my modules folder in FS9, that I cannot startup FS9. This seems strange to me. Is this normal, or am I missing something somewhere?

If FSUIPC.DLL is not in the Modules folder, then it is effectively "uninstalled" and it will not run when FS is started. However, do NOT move it into the main FS folder -- it seems that FS may actually still load it if you do, yet then it will not work correctly! I've not managed to make FS do this for me, but one user reported it. Maybe it was a misunderstanding, but I will be putting a check for that into the next version just in case.

Also, if you leave it in place take care to make sure it cannot be mistaken for a DLL still. Best to move it to a special "Saved" sub-folder or similar.

FS does not "need" FSUIPC.DLL (obviously, else it would be a Microsoft product). But FS does come with a User Interface module called "FSUI.DLL" Make sure you are not getting confused and deleting that!

Incidentally, in your message to Peter you said something about "If I can find out how to contact Peter Dowson, I will ask him about this." This seems to imply you had difficulty getting here. There are links to this forum in my documents and on the main download page at http://www.schiratti.com. Were these not clear enough? It worries me that I started a Support Forum to keep folks informed and up to date, yet they cannot find it? Can I make it clearer somewhere?

Regards,

Pete

Pete:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

First, please let me apologize for my wording, and do not be worried relative to my hunt to contact you. It had been a long day for a pooped old man. I had just emailed Peter McLeland, and had email on my mind. I did use the link from your documentation just as you instructed. Please forgive me for frustrating you. Your provisions are more than adequate, and are greatly appreciated.

My only reason for trying to remove FSUIPC was Peter McCleland's statement that DF737 panel/FFX merge would not work if it was installed. As I said in my original post, his later dialogue seems to contradict that. I thought it was at least worth a try in my attempt to get the FMC working in that panel.

My FSUIPC is registered unless I am missing something. My window in FS when I click on FSUIPC reads: "FSUIPC Version 3.11, 10th October 2003, This is a registered copy, thank you. Registration, This FSUIPC is registered to Roger Hodges, oma00036@mail.wvnet.edu". Is there something else I need to do for complete registration and support?

My attempt to "uninstall" FSUIPC was exactly as you instructed. I tried removing FSUIPC.dll alone to my desktop. On another attempt I tried totally deleting it. I also tried removing it along with FSUIPC.ini, FSUIPC.key and FSUIPC.log. I have never moved or installed it "into the main FS Folder". I did not remove FSUI.dll.

I realize that FS does not need FSUIPC and ran it for some time until your update for FS9 was available. The fact remains that when I move the FSUIPC.dll out of my modules folder in FS9, FS9 will not startup now. I get the opening screen with the DC3, the "Loading Scenery Objects" window appears, but the loading slider never advances past zero, and a few moments later, the FS9 screen vanishes as FS9 shuts down. May not make sense, but that is what happens. I can move the FSUIPC.dll back in the modules folder, or reinstall it if I totally deleted it, and FS9 comes up just fine. I thought that maybe movement to the desktop was not proper, so I just tried creating an individual "saved" folder as you mentioned. Same thing, FS9 will not start up.

I also just made a search of my computer for FSUIPC to be sure an old file was not lurking anywhere that it should not be. None found except in my recycle bin. I emptied it and tried again. same thing.

Again, my only reason for even trying this was for the implementation of the DF737 panel. If the conclusion is that it will now work with FSUIPC, I will never remove FSUIPC even temporarilly, however, I am curious as to the above effect in my attempt to do so, and thought that it might also interest you.

Please again forgive me for any worry or frustration I brought to you. None intended, and I think your products and support are outstanding.

Respectfully;

RTH

My only reason for trying to remove FSUIPC was Peter McCleland's statement that DF737 panel/FFX merge would not work if it was installed.

Odd. I'm fairly sure that was only for unregistered versions of FSUIPC. An application Ky for the gauges wouldn't work because, I think, they use an incorrect method of access.

Is there something else I need to do for complete registration and support?

No, that's fine. I was assuming you weren't registered otherwise I do not understand why there was any difficulty with any panels. As it is, the only thing I knew that was wrong was the heading setting on the autopilot, which jumps in 10's unless you use the FSUIPC Technical option to fix it. This is a panel problem which also occurs with no FSUIPC loaded, due to the odd way the panel coding is done. :?

Also, of course, they have a silly check for FS2002 which stops something or other working (not catastrophically though) -- that's the reason for the MakeItVersionFS2002 fiddle. Ugh! :cry:

The fact remains that when I move the FSUIPC.dll out of my modules folder in FS9, FS9 will not startup now. I get the opening screen with the DC3, the "Loading Scenery Objects" window appears, but the loading slider never advances past zero, and a few moments later, the FS9 screen vanishes as FS9 shuts down. May not make sense, but that is what happens.

Sounds like you have something else instaled which is needing FSUIPC and which doesn't behave correctly when it doesn't find it. If I were you I'd delete the FS9.CFG file and let FS make a new one. At least that way it will not be trying to re-load the same default ile which is probably loading whatever it is which is doing such an awful thing. The only other possibility is another Add-In module in your Modules folder which is also doing this. Best check that first I suppose, because if you delete the FS9.CFG file you'll have to reset all the options the way you like them again.

Please let us know when you find out what it is.

Regards,

Pete

Pete:

You were 100% dead on as to my problem in removing FSUIPC.

As you advised, I deleted the FS9.cfg file, removed FSUIPC.dll, and FS9 came up with no problem.

When I tried to change to my default Boeing 717 aircraft, FS9 shut down again pretty much in the same way..

To be specific, I have RKG_fuelstat and Speed gauges in most of my panels which are dependent upon FSUIPC. After I remed these gauges, everything worked fine (except my original merge problem with the 737). I am sure I have another bird or two with some other item that would do the same thing, but this pretty well nails down the question concerning FSUIPC.

With FSUIPC.dll removed, the DF737 FMC still did the same thing. It tries to appear, then my runtime error 53 error window appears. When I click ok, it turns into a black rectangle and stays. Also after this happens, no panel shortcuts work. From the taskbar the panels do come up. Obviously FSUIPC has nothing to do with the problem, installed or absent (As you already have tried to get into my thick skull).

I am still anxiously awaiting Peter McLeland's reply to my email. Hopefully, he will have a suggestion.

Thanks for your time and help. (And your fine programs!)

RTH

Obviously FSUIPC has nothing to do with the problem, installed or absent

Well, other that it seems that there are several gauges which are written to depend upon FSUIPC being installed and just bomb out if it isn't. Not very good programming really.

Thanks for letting me know.

Regards,

Pete