Jump to content
The simFlight Network Forums

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, FeelThere said:

once you try it there is no return

I have a lot of fun with VR, but with games that you play on a regular basis it becomes a nuisance very, very quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EliGrim said:

but with games that you play on a regular basis it becomes a nuisance very, very quickly.

I haven't delved into VR yet, so I'm curious as to why you say this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, crbascott said:

I haven't delved into VR yet, so I'm curious as to why you say this.

I too am curious, if the game just registers the inputs and rendering based upon the head view I think it could be fun to move things around and push on the screens and look for the planes.  BUT this will be a very different experience and audio integration will need to be spot on for the text to speech.   I preordered one finally a few months back and am looking forward to it.  But I can see how doing something like this in VR will be VERY difficult vs reality hah.  But mixing it with my keyboard and the headset to look around in would be a great change to it. 

10 minutes ago, Lewisboy said:

re: multiple screens @Ripskin - I have T3D running across 3 x monitors using an GTX1070ti and this, which was a bargain and is excellent. Very little issues with it - and using the NVIDIA Surround system.

Startech Triple Head

Yeah, I used adapters and windows in the late 90's and early 2000's for multiple screens.  Once Eyefinity came out I went full in and Surround when I run Nvidia.  It "works" but I end up with some odd glitches at times where tearing happens, the screen garble glitch in the game or things lag out from optimization issues in the engine.  Since I started making video's of play time I just kept it on one screen for almost everything.  
 

In my scaling desire I could just grab the edge of the window and drag it out for more pixels. A number of games work like that and it is handy especially if I'm working or monitoring something else on a different screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, EliGrim said:

I sincerely hope that a multi-monitor setup will be supported. At the same time I hope that this will not be mandatory, i.e. it makes gameplay more difficult with only one monitor.

Really depends on how it's done. 

Supreme Commander (first one) is the best game I have ever played for multiple monitor setups overall in the way they designed it to be a truly secondary monitor for a dedicated map or unit / production information.  If someone has multiple monitors configured as individual displays then something like that is helpful telling the game to enable it and we can put what we want on each screen.  

In Eyefinity or Surround the monitor's are all registered as one display to the OS so it wouldn't operate any differently other than the engine needs to understand ultra wide resolutions and scale within that aspect. 

So many games mess that up and we must run at one screens native resolution / aspect ratio in order to play 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, crbascott said:

I haven't delved into VR yet, so I'm curious as to why you say this

4 hours ago, Ripskin said:

I too am curious

VR has never lost its fascination for me, but like any technical toy it gets old relatively quickly. In the first months I had the headset on several times a week, then less and less and in the last 12 months not a single time. It is simply not comfortable enough.
What's really annoying is the preparation, if you don't have the ideal gaming area available. Depending on the model and platform you need the right lighting conditions, enough space on all sides, having to deal with an annoying cable or charging the battery...
It's a bit like playing with a controller, if you would have to screw it together and take it apart again and again before and after playing. At some point you would leave it as it is and play with mouse and keyboard again. Furthermore, after a certain time the headsets are not as light as they look and you sweat under them, get drops on the lenses, need to clean them... And if you don't want the headset to get dusty, you will have to constantly repack it and unpack it.
VR is great but not (yet) convenient enough to use it regularly, at least not as a recreational player. For professional gamers, YouTuber and Streamers it might be different.
Most games that support VR but are not VR-only titles I mostly tested in VR, but in the end always played without VR. Meanwhile I don't even test the games in VR anymore and it turned out that most of the games are not very well designed if it has been tried to develop them with the same quality for VR and non-VR.

I will keep my PSVR in case I want to have some fun with friends and family and because I surely want to play some Beat Saber or something similar in the future again. My Oculus I have sold recently.

In short: VR is fun but expensive and a pain in the a** if you're not creating the perfect gaming environment. At least that's my opinion and experience after several years of using VR.

Edit: If I could do it, I wish FeelThere would create an extremely solid non-VR game that comes close to a simulation but with VR in mind and then taking a year time to program a very good VR extension and sell it as DLC.

Edit2: Btw., is it okay to say technical toy or would gimmick be the better word, phrase, terminology?

Edited by EliGrim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully agree. For racing I used VR and now I could hardly race without VR (I really wish I would have time for that thought)... I tried VR for flying and while it was very close to the real thing, I couldn't keep flying that way for the reasons above; I had to find keyboard commands, my throttles, etc. So IF we add it for Tower I think I will be the first main tester and for surely (anyone, wink, wink) come up with some solution where you can keep the goggles on and no need to peak out to the keyboard.
There are several things we keep hiding about the next Tower development but one of the major thing is to support such a hand free experiences.

Interesting discussion, please keep it coming.

 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 5:52 AM, FeelThere said:

I fully agree. For racing I used VR and now I could hardly race without VR (I really wish I would have time for that thought)... I tried VR for flying and while it was very close to the real thing, I couldn't keep flying that way for the reasons above; I had to find keyboard commands, my throttles, etc. So IF we add it for Tower I think I will be the first main tester and for surely (anyone, wink, wink) come up with some solution where you can keep the goggles on and no need to peak out to the keyboard.
There are several things we keep hiding about the next Tower development but one of the major thing is to support such a hand free experiences.

Interesting discussion, please keep it coming.

 

Vic

The headsets that have a passive overlay of the room around you may work, if you can subtly put that if you look down by recognizing the keyboard or something.  Not sure if that feed can be tapped into like an augmented reality thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually VR Tower!3D could be completely hands free in the meaning that it is using just headset + 1 controller is completely doable, maybe second for additional stuff or camera. 

Controller can be used as hands or electronic pen for ASDE-X, a PTT button, possibility to write on strips or rearrange them in 2 rows (arr / dep). It's completely doable without using keyboard or mouse as no need at all. 

More than that, it would be even more immersive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BullRot said:

Actually VR Tower!3D could be completely hands free in the meaning that it is using just headset + 1 controller is completely doable, maybe second for additional stuff or camera. 

Controller can be used as hands or electronic pen for ASDE-X, a PTT button, possibility to write on strips or rearrange them in 2 rows (arr / dep). It's completely doable without using keyboard or mouse as no need at all. 

More than that, it would be even more immersive. 

Yeah a lot of people cant use the vr tho 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 4:17 description and views of digital strips in use for about 3 minutes in Amsterdam

At 15:15 description and run through of using electronic strips at Dubai

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Feelthere may need to choose whether to use the FAA version or the European version. Based on my searches,. it looks like they are different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the electronic flight strips are flexible and can be customized by each facility so I don't think you'll see just one FAA/European version. If you do a search, you'll see several companies offering EFS solutions. Hopefully, @FeelThere will implement a configuration that is sensibly feature rich after researching the technology available today.  

Additionally, one of the challenges for @FeelThere in this version is the battle between screen real estate and functionality. From the videos, the EFS displays are a full screen themselves. Not an issue for those of us who have multiple monitors. Hopefully, @FeelThere will provide appropriate functionality based on available screen real estate (versus designing everything with the single screen user in mind). 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, crbascott said:

I think the electronic flight strips are flexible and can be customized by each facility so I don't think you'll see just one FAA/European version. If you do a search, you'll see several companies offering EFS solutions. Hopefully, @FeelThere will implement a configuration that is sensibly feature rich after researching the technology available today.  

Additionally, one of the challenges for @FeelThere in this version is the battle between screen real estate and functionality. From the videos, the EFS displays are a full screen themselves. Not an issue for those of us who have multiple monitors. Hopefully, @FeelThere will provide appropriate functionality based on available screen real estate (versus designing everything with the single screen user in mind). 

We are testing a few solutions for this. @crbascott is right; this is a full screen application itself so we have to come up with something that works on single and multi monitors as well. We have something that will likely solve it but that feature is among the ones that we will try to keep secret for a while 🙂  

 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word on when a new airport may be coming out? It's been 3 months since Seattle came out. Looking forward to whatever feel there releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nrholland said:

Any word on when a new airport may be coming out? It's been 3 months since Seattle came out. Looking forward to whatever feel there releases.

Johannesburg came out last week i believe. Then it's usually 3 to 4 weeks.

Charles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nrholland said:

Any word on when a new airport may be coming out? It's been 3 months since Seattle came out. Looking forward to whatever feel there releases.

When?  You ask this continuously. Has it ever been answered?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to annoy you, but to the best of my knowledge FAOR was not from Feelthere.  I will try to be more patient and not ask this again.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 1:40 PM, FeelThere said:

We have the following lined up:
-FAOR (by Gabor)
-KIAD
-KEWR
-EGLL
-surprise airport 🙂

Thank you

 

Vic

I am glad EGLL is quite some time away
The airport is still under going redevelopment at Terminal 2, but once completed (hopefully) in the middle of 2021, it will be ideal for conversion from Tower 2011 to the next generation
The middle section from Stands 213 to 216 and Stands 233 to 236 is well underway
I would recommend waiting until Taxiway K is completed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MJKERR said:

I am glad EGLL is quite some time away
The airport is still under going redevelopment at Terminal 2, but once completed (hopefully) in the middle of 2021, it will be ideal for conversion from Tower 2011 to the next generation
The middle section from Stands 213 to 216 and Stands 233 to 236 is well underway
I would recommend waiting until Taxiway K is completed

If FeelThere waited for the completion of construction projects they'd never release any airports. Without doing in-depth analysis I'd say at least 75% of the airports released thus far are out of date or soon will be due to various construction projects. Heck, some airports were out of date the day they were released. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what gets delivered and when.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.