The simFlight Network Forums

On srcreen command vs keyboard command

Hi all

I have assigned a keyboard command to the start botton on my aircraft. When I use the on screen starter  I press the start botton for about 3-5 sec and the engine starts 

But when I use the keyboard to start it takes longer about 10 sec. I have checked using the log to make sure that I have assigned the correct command which I have

Not sure what is going on and wondering if anyone can help 

Cheers 

Rhys 

5 hours ago, Reco said:

But when I use the keyboard to start it takes longer about 10 sec. I have checked using the log to make sure that I have assigned the correct command which I have

Using the keyboard is different in two ways:

1 it relies on the keycode to be converted into a command by referring to your assignments
2 holding a key down generates repeats. 

#2 matters if you are relying on holding it down to get the engine started. Unless it is programmed to press the aircraft's button when pressed, and release it when released (with repeats disabled), what will be happening is loads of separate commands being sent.

Perhaps you should actually describe what the aircraft "on screen starter" needs and what you are actually assigning your keypress to.

Pete

Hi Peter 

I've had another try. I'll try to explain best I can. In the log file the starter button is toggle starter 2.  I press the on screen starter ounce and the button stays pressed and the gas producer gauge goes from 0% and at about 30 rpm the starter releases on it's own.

The gas producer climbs all the way round to 100 and settles at 70 like it should.

I just can't seem to replicate it using the pushbutton on my collective.

Under control sent when button pressed I have assigned Toggle starter 2 and under  control sent when button released  I've assigned toggle starter 2 

Not sure what to do next

Regards 

Rhys

20 minutes ago, Reco said:

Under control sent when button pressed I have assigned Toggle starter 2 and under  control sent when button released  I've assigned toggle starter 2 

Ah, so you are not assigning to a keyboard command as you originally sent. Therefore my previous reply was rather irrelevant.

Have you set the button to Repeat?

If you can't make it work at all with this assignment then as well as Spokes2112's suggestion there are two other alternative approaches I can think of:

1. Make a mouse macro to press the screen button and assign to that macro.

2. Try writing to the starter offset:
          0892    2     Engine 1 Starter switch position (Magnetos),
                    Jet/turbojet: 0=Off, 1=Start, 2=Gen/Alt
                    Prop: 0=Off, 1=right, 2=Left, 3=Both, 4=Start

This can be done by assigning to Offset Word Set with 0892 in the offset field and 1 or 4 as the parameter (according to aircraft type). Assign the same to button release but with a different parameter as needed -- 0 or 3 probably.

Pete

Hi

Thanks for the replays .I'm building a helicopter simulator based on a MD500e. I'm using the update nemeth bros model.

I did try to assign a keyboard command but had the same problem. I hear what you mean by generates repeats when holding down the key 

I'll give the options a try and report back

I really appreciate the help 

Cheers 

Rhys

Rhys,

I'm using the update nemeth bros model. "
Is it one of these:  here or here?
If so, both use the same logic with the starter. I downloaded both and checked. ( only have FSX here )
Being the case, none of the built in FSUIPC commands will work.
You will need to use a lua or .mcro script to do the following :

1 (>L:Eng2StarterSwitch, bool)

In XML code, the repeat flag is on so you may want to include that too.

It was just a quick look, there is a lot of built in logic ( some very weird ) with these models.
If it doesn't work, let me know, can look deeper into it.    

Roman