The simFlight Network Forums

Apps will not connect to FSUIPC when run on the same machine as FSUIPC7

737-SimGuy

Hi John,

From what I can tell so far apps will not connect to FSUIPC when run on the same machine as FSUIPC7. They do connect fine to WideFS on remote computers.I tried running WideClient on the MFS machine but of course it says "The same program or class is already running [FS98MAIN]", as expected.

This is a critical feature for me as my control loading software depends on it and I have no way to fly without it...

James

Hi John,

I am the developer in this case, but my BFF control loading software does not connect either. I am using Pauls FSUIPC_Client DLL and have changed nothing. It connects via wide client no problem.

Is there something specific that needs to be changed here? I don't recall anything in the release notes about this.

James

This from Ian at BFF:

"If I recall correctly my software looks first for "UIPCMAIN" with a FindWindowEx call as this is what usually exists with a local FSUIPC active.
If it doesn't find it it then looks for "FS98MAIN" which is what is present when WideFS is active"

It is returning 0x0

James

8 minutes ago, 737-SimGuy said:

BFF doesn't use the client DLL, has the window name changed?

FSUIPC provides client window class-names FS98MAIN and UIPCMAIN.  The class-name for MSFS itself is different.

All existing FSUIPC applications should be able to connect in exactly the same way as before, at least when MSFS is up and running. I don't think FSUIPC is really active util then, though you can make assignments and do some calibration beforehand.

If not, John would need full details.

Pete

15 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

FSUIPC provides client window class-names FS98MAIN and UIPCMAIN.  The class-name for MSFS itself is different.

All existing FSUIPC applications should be able to connect in exactly the same way as before. If not, John would need full details.

Pete

Well, that is the issue, these programs have NOT been changed, but they do not find FSUIPC7 when run on the same machine. So I am not sure what details you would need. My apps use Paul's FSUIPC Client DLL and the BFF control loader uses FindWindowEx unchanged from his previous working versions.

James

9 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

The main window in FSUIPC7 is now FS98MAIN, and, as Pete says, it also creates UIPCMAIN (and UIPCINTERNAL) for messages. The window/class name for MSFS is now AceApp (in P3D/FSX was FS98MAIN).

John

Ok, so it HAS changed. I will forward this on...

Thank you,

James

1 minute ago, 737-SimGuy said:

My apps use Paul's FSUIPC Client DLL

As I said previously, this needs to be updated to support FSUIPC7. Are you sure that isn't the issue?

1 minute ago, 737-SimGuy said:

BFF control loader uses FindWindowEx unchanged from his previous working versions.

Are you running both at the same privilege level? If not, please try that. Otherwise I don't understand why it can't find the FS98MAIN window - its there!

John

Just now, John Dowson said:

As I said previously, this needs to be updated to support FSUIPC7. Are you sure that isn't the issue?

Are you running both at the same privilege level? If not, please try that. Otherwise I don't understand why it can't find the FS98MAIN window - its there!

John

Ok thank you, working on it...

James

9 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

John

Yes, both as Admin. 

Am I the only one who runs anything requiring FSUIPC on the MSFS machine??

"All existing FSUIPC applications should be able to connect in exactly the same way as before. Pete" 

This is not the case, sorry to say. I have forwarded the info to BFF folks and I will await Pauls new DLL for my applications...

James

Ok, more to the story. When I checked that all applications were run at the same Admin level I only checked using the BFF application and it didn't fix the issue, however when I just did that with MY applications that use FSUIPC Client DLL it worked! So John and Pete you were of course both correct and it is a separate issue with the BFF loader application!  

Any application using FSUIPC7 on the MSFS computer require the same privileges, confirmed!

Apologies for the distraction. I did not troubleshoot effectively. 

James

2 hours ago, 737-SimGuy said:

Ok, so it HAS changed. I will forward this on...

No, not changed, except that previously the name FS98MAIN belonged to FS/P3D. FSUIPC just hooked into it. That's not done from an external EXE, and with the name FS98MAIN being critical, FSUIPC creates it instead.

Seen from outside, by an FSUIPC application, there's no change at all.

Pete

1 minute ago, Pete Dowson said:

No, not changed, except that previously the name FS98MAIN belonged to FS/P3D. FSUIPC just hooked into it. That's not done from an external EXE, and with the name FS98MAIN being critical, FSUIPC creates it instead.

Seen from outside, by an FSUIPC application, there's no change at all.

Pete

Right yes. It appears the issue with the BFF application is that he is using the presence of FS98MAIN as indication of FS running, and some other way to determine FSUIPC was running. He has all the info now and at some point I hope to hear back from him.

Thank you,

James