The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC install looking in wrong simconnect folder Win10

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. Previously had no problem installing my registered version of FSUIPC in win 7 but I have gone for a clean install of FSX in Win10. I have run the FSUIPC 4.975 installer and it is not able to find simconnect.dll in WinSxs or WinSxS/Fusion

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:
SetupPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
Checking version of the FSX EXE:
... Version 10.0.61472.0  (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)
Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:
    Looking for SimConnect.dll with "C:\Windows\WinSxS\Fusion\*SimConnect*"
    Looking for SimConnect.dll with "C:\Windows\WinSxS\*SimConnect*10.0.60905.0*"
    Looking for SimConnect.dll with "C:\Windows\WinSxS\*SimConnect*10.0.62607.0*"
    Looking for SimConnect.dll with "C:\Windows\WinSxS\*SimConnect*10.0.61242.0*"
    Looking for SimConnect.dll with "C:\Windows\WinSxS\*SimConnect*10.0.61259.0*"
... Failed to find a valid SimConnect needed to use FSUIPC4!

Having installed all three versions of Simconnect I have looked for these files and think I have found them in a folder called WinSxS/Manifests

image.png.cdfd20c92de7ff9b4ed7aecb8f00b275.png

How can I get simconnect to install into a folder that FSUIPC will find it or how can FSUIPC look in the folder that they are actually in?

Hope you can help.

Regards

Phill

11 hours ago, P Lloyd said:

How can I get simconnect to install into a folder that FSUIPC will find it or how can FSUIPC look in the folder that they are actually in?

The "Manifest" files are not the .DLLs. Here the DLLs are installed in folders like 

C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_none_dd92b94d8a196297
C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_none_e079b46b85043c20
C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_none_55f5ecdc14f60568

This is on a Win10 installation, running Win10 version 2004. I have seen installs where they go into 
C:\Windows\WinSxS\Fusion\....
folders instead (i.e. one subdirectory, "Fusion", deeper, but we never figured out what made the difference.

But really, if you have successfully run the SimConnect.msi installers, the DLLs should be in the correct place and the FSUIPC4 installer should have found at least one of them.

I think the latest FSUIPC installer may be having difficulty with versions of FSX before FSX-SE, but I am unable to test and change it now. 

Are you using the 4.975 installer or the latest one, Install_FSUIPC4975a ?  If not the latter please try that first.

If that doesn't work, there are two choices: either upgrade your FSX to FSX-SE (well worthwhile as lots of things were corrected and it performs better, being recompiled with more up to date tools), or retreat FSUIPC to 4.974:Install_FSUIPC4974.zip

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for this, but no matter what I tried FSUIPC could not find any of the simconnect.dll regardless of which installer I tried. Also, as you mentioned, I could not find the simconnect dll's within the WinSxs folder despite them appearing to be installed fine as they even appeared in the control panel installed programs. 

I vaguely remembered the mention of scndsk or chkdsk in some other thread regarding a similar issue. I didn't try this directly but when I tried booting up an old WIN 7 OS I have kept on another drive for some reason the computer wanted to run checkdsk on my WIN10 drive saying it needed it. I let it do this and when I was in WIN 7 I could now find the dll's where they were supposed to be on the WIN 10 drive. 

Booting WIN 10 up again I checked and the dll's were still there where they hadn't been before. FSUIPC4975a then installed with no further issues. 

Maybe someone else knows what has happened here but I have no idea and cannot provide a step by step solution other than running scndsk or chkdsk on the windows drive might help. This really was a trial and error solution.

Thanks again

Phill

52 minutes ago, P Lloyd said:

I vaguely remembered the mention of scndsk or chkdsk in some other thread regarding a similar issue. I didn't try this directly but when I tried booting up an old WIN 7 OS I have kept on another drive for some reason the computer wanted to run checkdsk on my WIN10 drive saying it needed it. I let it do this and when I was in WIN 7 I could now find the dll's where they were supposed to be on the WIN 10 drive. 

Oh, right. Some minor directory corruption by the sound of it. Files intact but pointers wrong. Chkdsk is good at correcting those.

53 minutes ago, P Lloyd said:

FSUIPC4975a then installed with no further issues. 

Good!

Pete