The simFlight Network Forums

Uneven range of motion for flaps lever with NGXu

I have a problem with my hardware flaps lever and the PMDG 737 NGXu in P3Dv5. I am using fsuipc 6. I am using a PFC USB TQ which has a flaps lever that is assigned and calibrated through fsuipc. The problem is that the detent settings are grossly uneven. For instance, the range of motion for Flaps 1, 2, 5, 10 and 15 takes up more than 4/5 of the lever’s entire range of motion. This means that Flaps  25, 30 and 40 are squeezed into the last 1/5 of the range of motion. It is almost impossible to set Flaps 30 because with the limited range of motion you almost always go from Flaps 25 to Flaps 40 instead. We’re talking about almost infinitesimal movement of the lever in this lower range between flap settings.

Fsuipc indicates that there are 9 detents for the lever and that the increments are 4094. In all the years I’ve used fsuipc and the PMDG 737, I’ve never encountered this problem. There’s always been a sufficient space between flap settings so that the correct setting could be attained without making micro adjustments. Any thoughts on what might be the problem here and how I might fix it?

Let me be clear. My lever does not have physical detents. It is a smooth flowing lever and has always relied on fsuipc’s ability to determine the number of detents and separate them accordingly over the lever’s range of motion.

Thanks for your assistance.

Robert

Hi Thomas,

As you requested, attached is a copy of my fsuipc6.ini as it pertains to the PMDG 737 NGXu. Please remember that in the fsupc GUI the Flaps pane indicates that there are 9 detents for the Flaps and that the increments are 4094. I don't see where this information is set forth in the ini settings.

Thanks for your assistance.

Robert

Robert's fsuipc ini for PMDG 737 NGXu.pdf

Hi,

As you requested, attached is a copy of my fsuipc6.ini

I requested, as we always ask for, the content of your FSUIPC6.ini file unaltered (the complete file/ content).

Please remember that in the fsupc GUI the Flaps pane indicates that there are 9 detents for the Flaps and that the increments are 4094.

Flaps UP / 1 /2 / 5 / 10 / 15 / 25 / 30 / 40 = 9 detents. -16384 to 16384 = 38768,  38768 / 9=4096. FSUIPC knows the number of detents from the current AC and the spaces are always even in-between.

As you didn't calibrate the flaps lever nor set detents it depends on your controller and PMDJ only. PMDJ might interpret the lever position different.

Here you can define the positions and detent spaces

image.png.8401a91203a81e5f8f5bca497bf83b66.png

Thomas

Thomas, I'll  have PFC check out the controller.  In the meantime, I'll manually configure the detents as shown in the User Guide. Interestingly, I checked and the PMDG 747-8i's flap detents, and they are similarly structured, but the bottom detents are somewhat further apart and it never caused me a problem.

Thanks again for your assistance,

Robert