The simFlight Network Forums

Saitek Throttle detent setup....is this the best way?

Hello everyone. recently i was made aware of a kit that will allow you to use physical detents on the saitek throttle quad.

Initially I thought I would need to use the Syn Pos within FSUIPC.

However, I believe this should work.

I am setting this up for the FSW MU-2. I fly the MU2 real-world, I also have an actual throttle quadrant. It has some physical detents.

With the saitek detent kit, I can't fairly emulate my MU2 quad.

I plan to go in the sim(P3Dv5)  Move the sim throttles with the physical hardware, noting where the detents would be on actual quadrant.

When I hit the sim point on the quadrant, I physically mark that on the Saitek.   When done, I'll have the areas marked for throttles and condition levers and flaps,

I'll then use the kit to install the detents. Everything should correlate on the Saitek and the sim. Unless I'm missing something? Seems pretty straight forward.

Granted, this isn't USIPC to setup, but do I need too in this case. Of course I use FSUIPC for the axis and calibrations and buttons needed.

Also, there are some buttons in the FSW MU-2 that I can't seem to locate within FSUIPC.  One of which are the starter buttons.  They are held down initially, then released.

Based on the manual, seems like a mouse macro would work for this procedure?  Question? You need to hold the starter switch down until the RPM reaches 10%. Then you

get lightoff, and the button  stays depressed and lit till 60% RPM. When I set up the mouse macros do this, and attach it to a switch on the Saitek. Will I need to hold that switch

down for the 10% RPM too, or does it account for the time form the macro?  IE I just need to momentarily flip the switch, and the macro will emulate the holding of the start button?

Lastly, now that I will have physical detents, when you go below flight idle, you are in ground idle range.  As you decrease the power levers, it put you more into beta-reverse mode.

With full reverse past the bottom detent...this is a switch.  I read about the range stuff.  Is there a way I could reduce the power levers in the ground range, to slowly cause the 

engine to go towards reverse.  I would use the slowly decrease power button?   If not it's fine. There isn't even a beta engine sound change anyway.  Just trying to add to my realism a bit.

Or would something like this require a LUA of some sort?

Thanks for your time. Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.   FYI I'm using the latest FSUIPC version 6.x

Best,

David

1 hour ago, dwbarnett said:

Also, there are some buttons in the FSW MU-2 that I can't seem to locate within FSUIPC.  One of which are the starter buttons.  They are held down initially, then released.

Based on the manual, seems like a mouse macro would work for this procedure? 

First you can try activating event logging, to see if there is an event registered when you press the button in the UI. If so, you can try using that event. If no event is registered, then you can try mouse macros.

Will I need to hold that switch down for the 10% RPM too, or does it account for the time form the macro?

There is no facility for timings in mouse macros. You would have to fire the macro on repeat for as long as the button/switch is held.

IE I just need to momentarily flip the switch, and the macro will emulate the holding of the start button?

This really depends on how the function is implemented in the aircraft/UI. As I don't have this aircraft, I cannot advise. Best to try it.

2 hours ago, dwbarnett said:

Lastly, now that I will have physical detents, when you go below flight idle, you are in ground idle range.  As you decrease the power levers, it put you more into beta-reverse mode.

With full reverse past the bottom detent...this is a switch.  I read about the range stuff.  Is there a way I could reduce the power levers in the ground range, to slowly cause the 

engine to go towards reverse.  I would use the slowly decrease power button? 

Separate axis calibration (on the 4 throttles page)  features reverse, centre, and forward ranges, so the reverse range should allow you  to gradually increase reverse thrust. However, if there is a 'reverse' switch at the bottom of the thrust lever, its usual to program this to a throttle decrement (on repeat) when pressed, and a throttle cut when released. However, if you use this method then you don't really need a reverse range on your axis, so you should choose one method or the other really. 

Hello John, Thank You again for the input.  If I may, I would like some clarification Please.

Recently, I came across a product that was essentially a vinyl overlay for the Saitek quadrant.  I know the dimensions.

I'm going to try and make one for the MU-2 setup. That said, I will now have specific areas I need to line up with the physical SAitek power levers and the sim power levers.

Example, when I have my saitek power levers even the flight idle label, if I look at the sim power levers and the positon in the sim is not matched up from physical position....is this were the syn pos comes in?

Is it physically moving the sim power levers to match were I have placed my hardware levers on the quadrant. Or is sync pos just strictly for output of engines when levers are matched.

I have read that chapter numerous times. Sorry, still a bit unclear what the sync pos actually does. I need to match the sim power levers to my Saitek power lever postions, since I will be using my new label on the saitek.  Will sync pos do this.  Or is there another way.  I need them to match up both places, before I install my physical detents on the quadrant.

Thank You once again for your valuable information.

Best,

David