The simFlight Network Forums

3-axis Trimm-device: How to use best in MSFS ?

SloMo

Hello,

today i finished my 3-axis trimm-device, which a build up as a first step of building a BFF-Force-feedback-System.

I used a Leo-Bodnar-Board and 3 pcs. of 10-turns-Potentiometers, as suggested by Leo.

Connecting and calibration worked well, but when it comes to the "control-assignment" in MSFS, there is only the elevatror trimm with an possible assignment  as -100% to +100%-Axis.

So for now, elevator-trimm works, but how to assign the other two axis ?

Can i assign them via FSUIPC as second inputs for the aileron and rudder ?

And what about sensitivity ? The elevator-trimmwheel seems to be over-sensitive, and the sensitivity-adjustments of MSFS seem to be  not usable for a trimm-input.

Is it correct, that i can handle this via FSUIPC too ? Making a curve with less sensitivity during the middle 2 turns ?

I am hoping for solutions, becausebeside those problems, my new system feels fine.

Build up a sheet-metal-box out of Stainless-steel, the trimm-wheels are 3D-printed with a steel-body inside ( adds inertia ! ). Each axis is build up with 2 ball-bearings and an overload-protection for the potentiometers.

The Cover-plate is easy interchangeable for having different switch/button-layouts without manipulation the box-design.

The system is designed for use in a lowered position beside my chair or onm the desktop.

If there is any demand for this, i can provide kits or completely assembled systems in the future. ( Have allready 5 sets of metal-parts) 

I am on travel for the next 6 days, and i am excited to finish and/or finetune the system  after coming home.

Best regards

Stefan

Hi Stephan,

first, I have moved your post to the dedicated FSUIPC7/MSFS sub-forum. Please use this sub-forum for question on FSUIPC7/MSFS.

18 minutes ago, SloMo said:

Can i assign them via FSUIPC as second inputs for the aileron and rudder ?

Yes, you can - but only if your device is recognised as a standard windows HID device.

19 minutes ago, SloMo said:

And what about sensitivity ? The elevator-trimmwheel seems to be over-sensitive, and the sensitivity-adjustments of MSFS seem to be  not usable for a trimm-input.

Is it correct, that i can handle this via FSUIPC too ? Making a curve with less sensitivity during the middle 2 turns ?

In FSUIPC, you can add 'curves' to adjust the sensitivity.

I suggest that you just download and try FSUIPC7-beta. It currently comes with a time-limited license so you can try the assignments. See 

John