The simFlight Network Forums

Issue with Refresh Rate of Autopilot Rotary Switch

*** Moved to main Support Forum (from .net client dll sub-forum) ***

Hello,

I've been using a standard rotary encoder to try and produce a knob for hdg, speed and other instruments in the A/T panel of the 737NGX from PMDG for Prepar3d v4.5. I'm using FSUIPC6 and when I move the knobs right or left, they do not sense the clicks individually, but at a low maximum amount per second. Therefore, I can only change the value at an extremely slow rate. Is there any way to fix this issue? 

Edited by John Dowson
Moved to main support forum

12 hours ago, Dean1 said:

but at a low maximum amount per second

The default PollInterval for buttons is 25 milliseconds, i.e. 40 times per second. You could try adjusting this if you want to receive more.

You could also try the example lua script Rotaries.lua. When using this, this will trigger 2 virtual buttons in each direction, one of which you should assign to a standard increment (small increase/decrease), and the other to a larger increment/decrement.

Note that FSUIPC adds special controls for using with the 'fast' rotary button (from Advanced User manual, p29):

1016 Ap Alt Var Dec Fast (–1000)
1017 Ap Alt Var Inc Fast (+1000)
1018 Ap Mach Var Dec Fast (–.10)
1019 Ap Mach Var Inc Fast (+.10)
1020 Ap Spd Var Dec Fast (–10)
1021 Ap Spd Var Inc Fast (+10)
1022 Ap Vs Var Dec Fast (–1000)
1023 Ap Vs Var Inc Fast (+1000)
1024 Heading Bug Dec Fast (–10)
1025 Heading Bug Inc Fast (+10)
1026 Vor1 Obi Dec Fast (–10)
1027 Vor1 Obi Inc Fast (+10)
1028 Vor2 Obi Dec Fast (–10)
1029 Vor2 Obi Inc Fast (+10)

However, I'm not sure if these will work with PMDG aircraft.

12 hours ago, Dean1 said:

when I move the knobs right or left, they do not sense the clicks individually, but at a low maximum amount per second. Therefore, I can only change the value at an extremely slow rate. Is there any way to fix this issue? 

As well as what John says, you should note that one "click" will be either a button 'press' or a button 'release'. So for action on every click you need not only a suitable polling rate, but also the same assignment to both button press and button release. But you don't want the 'repeat' option because the last 'click' may have left it 'pressed'.

Pete