The simFlight Network Forums

simulate pulling of stick using offsets

Hi all,

In the flight sim accessibility add-on we're working on, we're adding a takeoff assistant feature.

This would basically lift off the aircraft on a single key press.

In the past, we've used other add-ons to do this. What they essentially do is turn on Autopilot, set the vertical speed and altitude during the takeoff role. Obviously, this isn't the proper way to do things. 

I'm looking for a way to simulate pulling of the stick to lift off the aircraft. I saw the offset at 0bb2 for adjusting the elevator, but not totally sure how to work with it.

If I wanted to simulate pulling the stick at rotate speed on the pmdg737 for example, how should I set this offset to properly pitch up for takeoff? Should I gradually increase the value, or is setting a static value during takeoff good enough?

I assume the elevator setting will stay set until I set it to something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

20 hours ago, Jason Fayre said:

I saw the offset at 0bb2 for adjusting the elevator, but not totally sure how to work with it.

Use to set the elevator axis position, from -16383 to +16383, as stated in the documentation. If you do this, you may want to  (temporarily) disable any joystick axis assigned to the elevator - you can do this in offset 0x310A.

I assume the elevator setting will stay set until I set it to something else?

Yes, but if there is a joystick axis assigned to the elevator axis, then this can send values overwriting what you set, which is why I suggest that you temporarily disable the input from any elevator axis assigned.

If I wanted to simulate pulling the stick at rotate speed on the pmdg737 for example, how should I set this offset to properly pitch up for takeoff? Should I gradually increase the value, or is setting a static value during takeoff good enough?

Sorry, can't help with this - I don't have PMDG aircraft and don't fly airliners (yet!), but presumably you need to gradually extend the elevators once you've hit the rotation speed....