The simFlight Network Forums

Setting a switch

Is there a way to assign actions to a switch. The thustmaster throttle has off and on switches. When I am using assigning buttons and switches, when I flip the switch on it shows up in fsuipc but when I clear it and switch off nothing shows up.  I am trying to move these switches fro spadnext to fsuipc but cannot seem to get the off position to show.  Spadnext allows to configure the switch from button to a switch.  So trying to make that work here.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Dean Salman said:

when I flip the switch on it shows up in fsuipc but when I clear it and switch off nothing shows up

What do you mean by this? In FSUIPC, you can assign an action to the button press and the release. If you don't assign to the release, no action will be done on the release.
How you assign to buttons/switches depends on how the button or switch functions.
You can also activate logging for 'Buttons & Keys' (and maybe also 'Events') to see what is happening - you need to be connected to the sim with an aircraft loaded for the logging to function, and at least one assignment on the button (press or release).
What are you trying to assign to your switch? How does your "switch" function?

this is the thrustmaster warthorg throttle.   there are actually switches.  When I open buttons and switches, I flip one of the switches to ON, that shows up as button 24.   I can assign a action to it, lets say Set Parking Brake.  Ok,  when I flip the switch OFF, no button number is seen so nothing can be assigned like Set Parking Brake off.   So both the SIm and FSUIPC see this as a button. SpadNNext configures this as a normal button or a switch.   So when ON one action, when OFF another

Hmmm,  you did get me a thought about using the release button.  I will try that.   As long as fsuipc does not expect the button release like a nornal button would act, in that a couple of hours may pass.  In this case switch on to set a parking brake, switch off (released) turns it off.   I will try that.  

BTW, I really like FSUIP 7 as a external app.   I wish I could use this same app for P3D 5.1.   I am a long time customer

12 minutes ago, Dean Salman said:

When I open buttons and switches, I flip one of the switches to ON, that shows up as button 24.   I can assign a action to it, lets say Set Parking Brake.  Ok,  when I flip the switch OFF, no button number is seen so nothing can be assigned like Set Parking Brake off.

If you take another look at Buttons and Switches, you'll see that you can assign two actions to the switch -- on to operate when "pressed" and the other when "released".

Now I know that such terminology is really applicable more to buttons, but the "on" state of your switches is effectively a "press" (because that's exactly what it looks like to the system), and conversely the "off" state is seen as a "release".

So of course you can program your 'off' action too.

16 minutes ago, Dean Salman said:

As long as fsuipc does not expect the button release like a nornal button would act,

What, like a timeout? I wonder why anyone would want such a feature?

17 minutes ago, Dean Salman said:

BTW, I really like FSUIP 7 as a external app.   I wish I could use this same app for P3D 5.1. 

Hmm. Some users have the exact opposite opinion it seems.  For me they are both valid approaches and each just as usable (and I write now as more of a user -- here I just help out with support. I still look after my freeware though, like MakeRunways). 

Running within the Sim does bring performance advantages -- SimConnect exchanges are direct not via TCP/IP or Pipes, Controls and Keys being sent are almost immediate, and there's access to internals if needed. (Done by hacking into code before P3D4 days, but via new interfaces since then -- PDKs, program development kits available for internal addon -- aircraft as well as utilities like FSUIPC and GSX).

Pete

the ON release did work as I thought.   So that solves it.   I could not find how to set the parking brake.   There are brakes and autobrake set.   I know a parameter of 1 usually sets a set command and 0 turns it off.  So as a test I tried some G1000 settings assigning Direct To for example.  I suspect not all of the MSFS support actions might not be there yet.  Anyway, thanks for the help.