The simFlight Network Forums
TRodick

Setting Spoilers/Speedbrakes via Offset 0BD0

Hi all,

I'm working with Jason Fayre on the Talking Flight Monitor project, the accessibility add-on for FSX and Prepar3d. One of our users asked for the ability to set spoilers/speedbrakes to an arbitrary percentage; in the sim, the keyboard command (slash key by default) either sets them to full or off, with no way to fine-tune their extension. The notes for the offset (0BD0) say that a value of 4800 is armed, but that 5620 is the minimum you can set that actually causes extension. 5620 is 7% extended, and 16383 is 100%. I'm fairly good at math, but I'm confused by the snippet that says: "The percentage extension is the proportion of the distance in the range 4800 to 16383..." I can't figure out, for the life of me, a good formula that can be used to convert an arbitrary percentage value into the value to write to the offset. I consider myself a decent coder, but the way FSUIPC and SimConnect represent things can sure make for some difficult calculations. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler

3 hours ago, TRodick said:

I can't figure out, for the life of me, a good formula that can be used to convert an arbitrary percentage value into the value to write to the offset.

As it says, 5620 is 7% and 16383 is 100% (well, on the ground -- bear in mind that in flight the maximum the spoiler really goes to is about 70 or 80% (don't remember which). In the latter case it is known as "speedbrake" rather than "spoiler").

So, if you want x% then if x < 7, don't bother.

Otherwise, consider 93% is spread over (16383 - 5620) points in this scale.  So 1% = 10763 / 93 = 115.73, near enough.

So for x% where x >7, you'd use 5620 + ((x - 7) * 115.73), rounded down to an integer.

3 hours ago, TRodick said:

I consider myself a decent coder, but the way FSUIPC and SimConnect represent things can sure make for some difficult calculations. 🙂

It's really neither FSUIPC nor SimConnect, just the way that axis works internally.

Note that this is not the same in MSFS.

Pete

You said round down to an integer. Are you saying follow the standard math rounding rules, or a simple truncation?

9 hours ago, TRodick said:

You said round down to an integer. Are you saying follow the standard math rounding rules, or a simple truncation?

Sorry it wasn't clear. "Rounding down" is the same as truncation if you mean just discarding the fractional part.

Pete