The simFlight Network Forums

Switching from Fsuipc5 to Fsuipc6

2 minutes ago, Jerry McCarroll said:

I'm using P3Dv4.5 and I'm wondering if there is an advantage to switching to Fsuipc6.  What extras would it give me?

Only in that FSUIPC6 is being developed with improvements and new facilities, whilst FSUIPC5 will cease updates altogether soon (if not already -- I think it was perhaps at the end of 2010).

So, if you are happy and aren't planning to update your P3D4 to the far superior P3D5, then stay with FSUIPC5, by all means.

Pete

15 hours ago, Jerry McCarroll said:

I'm using P3Dv4.5 and I'm wondering if there is an advantage to switching to Fsuipc6.  What extras would it give me?

Not really. I'll probably release one more version of FSUIPC5 sometime in January. After that, it will be closed for future development - mostly, but I will still update for any important bug-fixes or to keep compatible with any possible future releases of 4.x

John

17 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

So, if you are happy and aren't planning to update your P3D4 to the far superior P3D5, then stay with FSUIPC5, by all means.

Pete

I'm debating whether to switch to P3Dv5 or wait until Prosim737 will work with FS2020.  From reading recent reviews FS2020 still has a lot of bugs and it would require updating my 50+ add-on airports which would be really expensive.  I built a B737-800 home cockpit in my garage and I run 2 copies of P3Dv4.5, the 2nd one for side views so moving to P3Dv5 or FS2020 would be twice the price.  I'm disappointed that Lockheed Martin doesn't offer an upgrade discount.  Would you tell me why P3Dv5 is vastly superior to v4?  Should I switch or wait for FS2020 to get all the bugs out?

10 minutes ago, Jerry McCarroll said:

Would you tell me why P3Dv5 is vastly superior to v4? 

Well it is for me, mainly because it's performance is so good in comparison. But I am using one P3D5 PC with two projectors to give me a 210 degree FOV on a curved screen. With P3D4 and before each additional scenery Window created reduced the frame rate by up to 50%, making it very difficult to achieve flyable performance in dense areas like London Heathrow without having reduced settings a little or no AI traffic.

In P3Dv5 I not only get good frame rates, but I'm able to use Orbx True Earth GB and a reasonable amount of traffic. That's quite a difference.

In your case it sounds better to stick to P3D4. 

Pete

What are your system specs Pete?  I'm running a Gigabyte 1080 GTX with 3 Samsung 46” HDTVs for front view.  I had planned to get the RTX 3080 and move my 1080 to the 2nd computer for side views but you know what happened there; maybe someday this year.  I was getting 50+ fps at Flightbeam KDEN but yesterday they dropped down to 6.  Not sure what happened, maybe an Ulitmate Traffic overload.  I also have TrueEarth GB but haven't had much time to try it.  I've been converting my B747 cockpit to a B737 and building a 737 throttle quadrant using a 3D printer which has taken a lot longer time than I anticipated.  Do you think P3Dv5 is a better choice than FS2020?

Jerry

4 hours ago, Jerry McCarroll said:

What are your system specs Pete? 

This is my sig on another Foum:

Win10: 2004 build 19041.685
Processor: I9 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Mobo: Maximus XI Extreme Z390
Memory: 32Gb at 3900 MHz.
GPU: RTX 24Gb Titan
Displays: 2 x 2160p projectors at 30Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen
P3D5 set with 2 windows using ViewGroups

Don't ask how much that lot cost! But compared to the cockpit, originally bought from PFC some 20 years ago, with all the money lavished on that with updates and upgrades over the years, the PC system (and its external Koolance cooling system) was minor.

Not sure what happened, maybe an Ulitmate Traffic overload. 

I use AIG's free stuff, excellent. I've installed all airlines. Total data size about 41 Gb! If I don't limit it I get 500 or more around London some times of the day. i have to get it down to 160 or so with the limiter in FSUIPC.

building a 737 throttle quadrant using a 3D printer

Wow! A practical man! I can do electrics but for anything else, forget it. It's a good job I was good at programming (supposed to be retired now, but i still dabble).

Do you think P3Dv5 is a better choice than FS2020?

Well, yes, at present. For something like my setup I don't think MSFS will be good enough this year -- for airliner flying. It already makes a good VFR sim though (I have it on a different PC with a single screen), albeit pretty unreliable.

Pete

I flew with my throttle quadrant for the first time yesterday and it worked pretty well.  I don't have the trim wheels working yet and have some finishing touches left to do.  I'm wondering if LM is planning on doing something similar with scenery rendering as FS2020 in their  next version?  Maybe I should stick with 4.5 and wait for that.

JerryCOCKPIT SYSTEM SPECS 01-04-2021.docx

B737 Throttle Quadrant.jpg

B737 Cockpit1.jpg

B737 Cockpit2.jpg