The simFlight Network Forums

Wide FS Client crashes

Been using WideFS for years but hit new problem I can’t crack.

My FS setup is on three networked PC’s and has been working fine for years until I just upgraded one PC. PC1 is P3D and FSUIPC/Wide FS server, PC2 and PC3(just upgraded) both run Clent. I usually place the downloaded WideFS folder in Windows/Programs folder and the put a shortcut to WideFS.exe on the desktop.

At one time I used to put WideFS in the Start folder but I find that these days I don’t have to do that, it puts itself there, very clever. I start all PCs and WideFS starts in PC2 &3 automatically waiting for P3D. Strangely the WideFS window shows in PC3 even though “visible no” is selected. When P3D starts up PC2 connects but on PC3 WideFS crashes. If I restart it from the desktop shortcut it connects and is then faultless for the rest of the night.

Might appear minor but I have ADIRS software that crashes when WideFS goes out and never to return.

I am using the latest download of WideFS but i also tried copying across the version and setup from PC2 which works perfectly but doesn’t on PC3.

All three PC’s run Windows10.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Barry Kensett

www.a320sim.com

1 hour ago, barrykensett said:

I usually place the downloaded WideFS folder in Windows/Programs folder and the put a shortcut to WideFS.exe on the desktop.

It is generally not a good idea to put it there. It needs to be able to read and write to its own folder, and the modern windows rules normally prevent that, requiring program data to go to a suitably named folder in AppData or ProgramData folders. I'd put WideClient into something like C:\WideFS.

At one time I used to put WideFS in the Start folder but I find that these days I don’t have to do that, it puts itself there, very clever.

Well I don't know what is doing that, but it isn't WideClient.

Strangely the WideFS window shows in PC3 even though “visible no” is selected.

Visible=No in the [config] section of WideClient.ini? 

Sounds like something is overriding the Hide instruction sent to Windows.

When P3D starts up PC2 connects but on PC3 WideFS crashes

I assume you mean WideClient? Please show me the windows crash details (Event Viewer - Windows logs, Applications). Without that I have no chance at all in knowing why it crashed.

You said that WideFS (meaning WideClient?) goes "out" but ADIRS crashes. Are you sure of the order. Maybe it is ADIRS crashing which "takes out" WideClient. Are you using the facilities in WideClient to load ADIRS?

I think you need to show me your WideClient.INI file.

Also, please describe what the "Upgrade" to the PC was. Do you mean a complete replacement PC?

Do you have more that one program starting automatically? If so please check if they load in the same order as they used to. Maybe there's some unwanted interaction.

Pete

Thanks for your help Pete, I have spent some time tracking the problem and it is now fixed. 
Autostarting was an issue, the rogue was coming from a backup copy.

I downloaded WideFS7 thinking it was not specific to Microsoft FSFS, in fact a friend uses that version satisfactorily. I could not however get it to auto start in the Widows start folder or by using FSFlight Control. It ran fine when started using the .exe.

Using an older version of WideClient it auto starts and runs fine.

Thanks again

Barry

11 hours ago, barrykensett said:

Using an older version of WideClient it auto starts and runs fine.

Hmm. that's very strange. Can you provide the two version numbers for me, please (right click on the EXE, Properties).

It would be useful for me, still, to see what I asked for - the windows crash details (Event Viewer - Windows logs, Applications).  It must still be in the list of events in there. f I can locate the problem I'd like to fix it to help any others encountering similar problems.

BTW I have a network of 5 PCs for my cockpit, all autostarting WideClient. I'll check their version numbers too -- I might not have kept them all up to date (4 of them are mini Pcs built into a cockpit and have no keyboard nor mouse, so are managed over the network).

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

BTW I have a network of 5 PCs for my cockpit, all autostarting WideClient. I'll check their version numbers too -- I might not have kept them all up to date

Just checked. They were on version 7.1.5.7 dated 28/03/2019, and the mini PCs are on Windows 7. I updated to the current WideClient, 7.1.5.9 dated 25/06/2020, and they still boot fine. This is with them placed in the StartUp folder.

I also just check on this PC (my development and main Internet PC) which is on and up to date Windows 10 (2004 Build 19041.746) and it's okay on that too. I have another which is on 20H2 Build 19042.746, so I'll try it on that too. However, I'm now thinking it must be related to whatever it is you ask WideClient to do when it loads, so I can't reproduce that.

[LATER]

It works fine in Start-Up on the Windows 10 version 20H2 PC as well.

So, conclusion: I definitely need to see the Windows crash details, as requested, but I'd also need to see your Wideclient.INI and, ideally, the WideClient.LOG file from the newer version after the crash.

Pete