The simFlight Network Forums

Understanding problem regarding aircraft profiles

Hi Pete

I am a long time user but just recently started to use the full potential of FSUIPC. Until my honeycomb yoke arrives I still use an old Saitek X52 as my joystick. I disabled the joystick in P3Dv4.5 and sent up all the axes, buttons nicely via FSUIPC, that worked all fine. I set up a profile called "Boeing" when I did the setup within a 747.

Even after reading the User Guide and the advanced guide I still struggle to fully understand how to bring this "Boeing" profile to work with another 747 (different livery, still PMDG) or even a PMDG 777 aircraft? How should I tell FSUIPC to use the self created profile? I can see the "Boeing" entries in the .ini file, so I assume I did this part correctly.

Can you give me a hint? Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Dani

18 hours ago, Swissdani said:

Can you give me a hint? Any help is much appreciated.

First, make sure you are using
    ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring
in the [General] section of your FSUIPC ini file. 
Then, just adjust the profile to specify a substring that is in all of the aircraft names for which you want to use that profile, such as

[Profile.Boeing]
1=PMDG 747

(where 'Boeing' is your profile name). This would match all aircraft hat contained the substring 'PMDG 747'.

John

Edited by John Dowson
corrected to use OPs profile name

Hi John

Thank you for getting back. I thought I checked this already, but I will double check once at home.

When I understand you correctly I would rename my "Boeing" profile to "PMDG 747" and the copy that profile and name it "PMDG 777" if I want to use the same config for my 777 fleet?

Dani

4 minutes ago, Swissdani said:

When I understand you correctly I would rename my "Boeing" profile to "PMDG 747" and the copy that profile and name it "PMDG 777" if I want to use the same config for my 777 fleet?

No. Keep your profile name as it is - that's not important - I just used that as I don't know what your profile name is called! What is important is to have the ShortAircraftNameOk ini parameter set to SubString, and the substring you use here:
    1=PMDG 747

If you also want to use it with the PMDG 777s, then you can add
    2=PMDG 777
Or, for example, if you wanted to use that profile with all PMDG aircraft, you could just use
    1=PMDG

Just understand what a substring match does (checks if the string you specify is a sub-string of the aircraft name) and you should be ok going forward.

John

Edited by John Dowson
Further info added

6 minutes ago, Swissdani said:

The substring to be used I enter directly unter the ShortAircraftnameOK parameter in the ini-file right?

No! Please read my comments. Its

This is all explained un the User Guide, section User profiles for all control settings.
Please read this. We provide this documentation so that we don't have to continually respond to questions like this....

6 minutes ago, Swissdani said:

Does it change anything if I change between two different joysticks? It souldn't make a difference I reckon?

Not sure what this means. What has this got to do with profiles? You assignments are to specific devices, so they work independently.

6 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

No! Please read my comments. Its

This is all explained un the User Guide, section User profiles for all control settings.
Please read this. We provide this documentation so that we don't have to continually respond to questions like this....

Not sure what this means. What has this got to do with profiles? You assignments are to specific devices, so they work independently.

I did read it, but as a non-native english speaker I had my problems to fully understand it. I got confused because in the user guides it says that the substring thing is not satisfactory and now we should use profiles. Since I am not planning to have more than 3 different settings (Boeing, Airbus and general for the rest) I thought the substring way should be still enought for my going forward. 

My understanding of the substring thing is, when I call my profile "Boeing" then all aircraft that have the name Boeing will use my Boeing-profile but this is not the case. 

As I said I will dobule check the ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring again tonight, even I am pretty sure I already checked that before.

What I still don't understand 100% where I have to use the substring, once I made sure the setting in [GENERAL] is set properly. Where should that "1=PMDG 747" entry go that you specified above?

1 minute ago, Swissdani said:

I did read it, but as a non-native english speaker I had my problems to fully understand it. I got confused because in the user guides it says that the substring thing is not satisfactory and now we should use profiles.

Sorry, but where does it say that? You ARE using profiles. What it says is that if you are using EXTENSIVE use of profiles, then it MAY be easier to use profiles in separate files by setting UseProfiles to Files (rather than Yes). You don't need to do this.

4 minutes ago, Swissdani said:

My understanding of the substring thing is, when I call my profile "Boeing" then all aircraft that have the name Boeing will use my Boeing-profile but this is not the case. 

No, it isn't. A profile name is just the name. The strings that match the profile are specifid in that section, as n=....  (where n is 1,2,3,...etc, and the ... is the substring to match).

5 minutes ago, Swissdani said:

What I still don't understand 100% where I have to use the substring, once I made sure the setting in [GENERAL] is set properly. Where should that "1=PMDG 747" entry go that you specified above?

Here:

[Profile.Boeing]
1=PMDG 747

i.e. under your Boeing profile.

Or, if you also want to use that profile for the 777, use

[Profile.Boeing]
1=PMDG 747
2=PMDG 777

Then, the Boeing profile would be used for all aircraft whose name contained the substring PMDG 747 or PMDG 777.

29 minutes ago, Swissdani said:

One thing I noticed there is no button to be mapped for flight director on/off?

Presume you mean that there is no control you can map to your button, no? Have you tried the Toggle Flight Director control?

There is also the Autopilot Flight Director Active offset at 0x2EE0  that you can use.

John

Good evening John

One additional question. Is the entry under Vehicle title the one where substring "reads" the information.

Because I flew with G-CIVT today and the buttons I programmed before did not work. Since there is no PMDG entry, this might be the reason for it?

title.jpg

11 hours ago, Swissdani said:

One additional question. Is the entry under Vehicle title the one where substring "reads" the information.

We match on the aircraft name received from simconnect, which I presume is the vehicle title, but just take a look in your FSUIPC log file and see whats logged there as the 'user object', e.g.
    50547 ### The user object is 'A2A Piper Pa-28-180 Cherokee N3572T'