The simFlight Network Forums

Flap Slope?

cchiozza

4 hours ago, cchiozza said:

Is there any way to make a flap slope or less sensitive.

Presuming you mean when assigned to an axis? There is no 'slope' functionality as such for the flaps axis, but you could experiment by using the axis scaling facility, although you will loose the full range of your axis. See the Advanced User Guide:

Additional parameters to scale input axis values
Axis values assigned in FSUIPC can be arithmetically adjusted before being passed onto FSUIPC calibration (or to FS
via FS controls). To do this you assign the axis as normal, then edit the FSUIPC7.INI file. Find the axis assignment
there, in the relevant [Axes] section, and add one or both of these parameters to the end:

,*<number> to multiply the axis value by <number>. This can be a fraction, such as 0.5 (to divide by 2),
and it can be negative, to reverse the axis direction. Fractions can be expressed to 7 decimal

places.
,+<number> or -<number>
to add or subtract a number (an integer, no fractions) to or from the value.
If both parameters are given, the multiplication must come first, and is performed first. The resulting value is
constrained to be in the range -16384 to +16383
except when the assignment is to an offset, where no restriction is
imposed..
As an example, if the normal input range of an axis is -16384 to + 16383 and you only want the positive half, but need
to still use the whole of the lever movement:

,*0.5,+8192
would be added to the assignment. The *0.5 changes the range to -8192 to +8191, and then adding 8192 gives 0 to
+16383.
After editing, just tell FSUIPC to reload the axis assignments (a button on the Axes page). You won't see the results
there, but you will in the calibrations.

Special scaling for axis operation vi

6 hours ago, cchiozza said:

Is there any way to make a flap slope or less sensitive. I tried is msfs but does make a difference.

Better to calibrate steps, so that you have simulated detentes for each flap position.  See the section
CALIBRATING FLAPS WITH SPECIFIC DÉTENTES
on pages 41-42 of the User Guide.

Pete

May I please jump in here? I would prefer to use detents for flaps too (worked fine with FSUIPC4/FSX), even though on page 40 of the U/G you seem to recommend against it.  I am using the Saitek/Logitech TQ. Please reference: U/G page 40, Calibrating Flaps With Specific Detentes, on page 41 Step 2 (copied below). I'm doing this for C172 steam gauge.

2. Set the lever to a position a bit before the Flaps Full position/notch (i.e. at the other end, but not quite ‘full’), and
make this the maximum (i.e. click the right-hand ‘Set’). The zone for Flaps Full (currently #2, but that will change
as we add more détentes) is now set. You don't change the maximum again (unless you need to adjust the Flaps
Full zone on the axis).

I slide the lever down as directed but the value in the box under the third Set button (Max column) won't increment to what I expect should be a negative value just short of -16384. It doesn't increment at all. Can you help me get the drift of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Gary

5 hours ago, granathg said:

It doesn't increment at all.

This value doesn't change until you click the Set button. Its the In / Out values that change, and then you use the Set button to set the (max in this case) in value.
If the In/Out values aren't changing, make sure you have assigned Direct to FSUIPC Calibration and the flaps axis.

Really, this isn't working the way I understand the U/G. My mind must be wired differently. I do my best at following the U/G directions but very little is going as the U/G says it should - which column, which box, which button etc. For awhile when moving the lever from one extreme to the other, I couldn't get the numbers on either end to their highest values. But after thrashing I thought I had completed min, two detents, and max. When I clicked OK and went back to MSFS the flaps were at max (but the lever was still at the detent just before max. I moved the lever up to no flaps and the flaps didn't change. Then they started working backwards! What the!

Back in MSFS' Control Settings, F5 thru F8 are still fully operational for flaps. Now then, in FSUIPC4 I was required to disable FSX's control mechanism so the FSX settings wouldn't interfere with FSUIPC's. Is that true here as well? I think I'm sane but nobody would believe it, given what's happening. Can I just cut to the chase by manually entering the values into the ini file?

One final question. Might using offsets instead of "normal" axis assignment and calibration improve my chances? I'm completely perplexed.

I think I misunderstood something vital when I had a registration/install problem. I was told to make a copy of my FSUIPC4.ini file and name it FSUIPC7.ini. I now question that. The copied file still has remnants for Maule M7 and Dehavilland Beaver, among other things. Agghh! I have uploaded a copy of my FSUIPC7.ini for you to confirm my error(s). My C172 profile name is single_engine_piston.

FSUIPC7.ini.lnk

8 hours ago, granathg said:

I was told to make a copy of my FSUIPC4.ini file and name it FSUIPC7.ini

Thats fine, but you should delete the contents of the [General] section and let that get rebuilt, as many of the parameters no longer apply.

8 hours ago, granathg said:

The copied file still has remnants for Maule M7 and Dehavilland Beaver, among other things

You can manually remove any aircraft from profiles if you like, or remove profiles completely if you are no longer going to use them. But they do no harm.

Sorry, but don't know what that file/link is you posted, but its not your FSUIPC7.ini file. 

I appreciate you trying to help this novice. I had no trouble at all with flaps in FSUIPC4/FSX. I'm perplexed.

MSFS takes so long to open, start a flight and test my changes in FSUIPC7, that I've spent hours with what should be simple. For one thing, in the U/G aren't the two images on p. 41 in reverse order from what the last sentence on p. 40 says? That's how I understand it. Out of desperation I resorted to manually editing the file (unsuccessfully).

In FSUIPC4 I had to disable FSX's controls to keep them from conflicting with FSUIPC. Must I do something similar with MSFS?

I think I got FSUIPC7.ini uploaded this time so you can see what I'm working with.  Thanks you, Gary

FSUIPC7.ini

10 hours ago, granathg said:

In FSUIPC4 I had to disable FSX's controls to keep them from conflicting with FSUIPC. Must I do something similar with MSFS?

YES!!! Most certainly. You need an empty profile loaded for each controller in MSFS. You can have keypress assignments in MSFS but certainly not axes if you are using FSUIPC for your axis assignments. Otherwise they most certainly will clash.

BTW you won't have trouble uploading text files like INI and LOG files if you ZIP them first. Text files Zip up very compactly.

Pete

MSFS takes so long to open, start a flight and test my changes in FSUIPC7, that I've spent hours with what should be simple.

But you can just leave MSFS running, you don't have to re-start it everytime. You can reload your button/axis assignments when needed (if editing the ini), or stop and re-start FSUIPC7.

If assigning a device in FSUIPC, we recommend to initially start with an empty profile for that device. Just create a new profile for each device (apart from keyboard and mouse) in MSFS and assign then to your devices - new profiles are created empty.

Your ini file shows that you are using v7.0.3. The latest version is v7.0.4 - please update.

Your ini file is also a bit of a mess....! Have you manually edited this and not ran FSUIPC7 after editing?
Some assignments are made to joyletters, others to joy numbers. This is very strange...did you add these manually?
Do you have a 'Saitek Aviator Stick'? Its listed in your JoyNames section (assigned to letter Q) but has no GUID. You have assignments to it in your 'Bell Helo' profile.
And you 'Robinson Helo' profile has assignments to device '0', which is your rudder pedels. Is this correct?

The Cessnam Skyhawk 172SP is also assigned to two profiles 'FSX C172 Lessons' and 'single_engine_piston'. An aircraft should only be in one profile!

You also have quite a few assignments to PAN_VIEW and other PAN controls - these are not currently working in MSFS. To control the views, you have to assign keypresses to the view controls in MSFS, and then assign your POV to those key presses.

Anyway, please clarify what devices you have and also show me your FSUIPC7.log file, and I'll update your ini for you to try.
You should also download and install v7.0.4, although don't run it yet until I've provided you with an updated ini.

As for your flaps issue, I'm not sure what that is or for which aircraft, but we can look at that after we've cleaned-up your  FSUIPC7.ini.