The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC7 not responding when restarting Lua scripts

Djeez

Hi,

I have an ipcReady.lua scripts that starts several scripts:

ipc.macro("Lua ga_c172")
ipc.macro("Lua throttle")
ipc.macro("Lua pedestal")

When I make a change to one of the scripts, I restart them with the command Lua ipcReady.lua that is bound to one of my keyboard keys.

However, when I press that key to restart, the FSUIPC7 program shows "not responding" in the title bar and I have to kill it through the TaskManager to proceed.

First a LuaKillAll and then restarting the scripts works fine.

Regards,

-Emile.

FSUIPC7 not responding.png

20 hours ago, Djeez said:

First a LuaKillAll and then restarting the scripts works fine.

Then this is what to use!

20 hours ago, Djeez said:

However, when I press that key to restart, the FSUIPC7 program shows "not responding" in the title bar and I have to kill it through the TaskManager to proceed.

There may be an issue killing and restarting one of the scripts - you could try each individually to see which one it is.
But its certainly better to just use Lua Kill All in this situation.
There may be an issue somewhere if its hanging. But, as I'm very busy at the moment and you have a solution tp your problem, I don't think its worth looking into this any further at the moment.

John

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

Then this is what to use!

I just wanted to let you know what is going on so that you can improve the product and tell others reading the forum how to workaround issues.

It is clear that there are many issues with FSUIPC7, it is not as stable as FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4, based on my experiences.

I will keep other annoyances and workarounds to myself.

-Emile.

12 minutes ago, Djeez said:

I just wanted to let you know what is going on so that you can improve the product and tell others reading the forum how to workaround issues.

It is clear that there are many issues with FSUIPC7, it is not as stable as FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4, based on my experiences.

The functionality in this area should be the same between the different versions as nothing has changed. Are you saying this worked in previous versions but not in FSUIPC7?

13 minutes ago, Djeez said:

I will keep other annoyances and workarounds to myself.

Why? It is good to report anything you find, to help other users. Just because, in this instance, I am not going to take any action (at the moment), it doesn't mean that such things shouldn't be reported.

John

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 7:07 PM, John Dowson said:

Why? It is good to report anything you find, to help other users. Just because, in this instance, I am not going to take any action (at the moment), it doesn't mean that such things shouldn't be reported.

Because if I try to be as complete as possible in my description and also give a work-around you just state that I should use that workaround. I don't feel taken seriously that way.

It used to be that Lua scripts are terminated if they were already running. That is even documented behaviour, see lua plugins.pdf:

image.png.86bcb54eaf718c6219b49ba9609adc8e.png

By the way, also if I close FSUIPC using the Exit command from the File menu I get a not-responding, maybe because there is a Lua script running?image.png.a8ac17a9bbdbbd9c05fcea63d5849d04.png

-Emile.

12 hours ago, Djeez said:

Because if I try to be as complete as possible in my description and also give a work-around you just state that I should use that workaround. I don't feel taken seriously that way.

But why? Its working for you with Lua KillAll. And if others have this issue, they can also try your work-around.

It looks like one of those scripts is preventing shutdown and not being killed when you kill your ipcReady.lua or when FSUIPC terminates, but is being killed by Lua KillAll. which is strange. I have made a note of this and will look into it at some point, when I have time. But, as there is a work-around, it is not urgent and so may take a while.

It could be a problem in FSUIPC, but it also could be a problem with one of the scripts. You could do some further tests to help narrow it down. Try with just starting one script in your ipsReady.lua to see if that works, then add  them one at a time to see if you can  find a culprit script. Then, to confirm it is that script, try with all scripts apart from that one (to confirm it works), then try with just that one, to confirm it has stopped working. Then post the script. There may be more than one culprit script, but this would help to determine if it is an issue with particular scripts or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I could narrow it down a bit: it is related to a script that uses the lua com library for serial communication over COM ports. If I kill that script, FSUIPC hangs.

My way of working is now that I only start and kill the script under development (not the com-using script) and that works fine.

-Emile.

2 minutes ago, Djeez said:

I think I could narrow it down a bit: it is related to a script that uses the lua com library for serial communication over COM ports. If I kill that script, FSUIPC hangs.

My way of working is now that I only start and kill the script under development (not the com-using script) and that works fine.

Yes, there is/was an issue closing down lua com  scripts. I released v7.0.7 this morning with a correction for that. Please download and try it.
If you still get an issue, please show me your FSUIPC7.log file.

John