The simFlight Network Forums

Trouble with KIAD Schedule - Flights Ignored

GoalieMedic

Cross posting this here since I think for devs are here than on the FB ATC group.

I have the long-anticipated KIAD pre-CoVID schedule completed (or so I thought) & was about ready to announce its availability for download. I compiled the whole schedule, aircraft, etc. in the custom schedule creator and loaded it in. All seems well except I'm finding that it's ignoring about 2/3 of the schedule. For example, the 07:00 hour at IAD is very busy with a lot of regional jet arrivals (35 in total on the schedule). The only flights that show, however, are United Express CommutAir (IATA C5). It's completely ignoring UA, SkyWest (OO), Mesa (YV), etc. 

Departures seem fine (there are only 6 in that hour, and they all appeared & were successfully sent on their ways).  

Also noticing on the strip that all of the flights are being given the same squawk code (3313), which means nothing since we don't do anything with those codes, but shows there's some sort of an issue where it's not giving each flight a unique code.

So looking for some ideas on what may be going on from anyone who may have built their own schedule or may have had similar issues with missing aircraft from the schedule.

When complete, the file will have 345 arrivals and 393 departures for the day I built.  The full 7-day schedule will follow once we work out the bugs with the original file.  

-Jonathan

as said to me so many times  :), can you upload the output_log

Two things to look for w/o output_log.

Are the airlines actaully assigned to a terminal,

and the old problem that if you load a schedule for a day, there may not be enough open gates to accept incoming planes.. which we can easily see in the output_log.

Okay, so looking at the output_log file, you are correct in that it is failing on ASH, AWI, RPA, SKW, and some UAL flights stating "No Free Terminal".  

For KIAD, I have all of the above (except UAL) assigned to terminal A2.  Terminal A1 is reserved at IAD for UCA.  UAL is also assigned to terminal C and terminal D (midfield terminals C and D at IAD are exclusive for UAL).   

I've attached the output_log and the terminal file if you want to see if there's something else going on.

output_log.txt kiad_terminal.txt

51 minutes ago, GoalieMedic said:

Okay, so looking at the output_log file, you are correct in that it is failing on ASH, AWI, RPA, SKW, and some UAL flights stating "No Free Terminal".  

For KIAD, I have all of the above (except UAL) assigned to terminal A2.  Terminal A1 is reserved at IAD for UCA.  UAL is also assigned to terminal C and terminal D (midfield terminals C and D at IAD are exclusive for UAL).   

I've attached the output_log and the terminal file if you want to see if there's something else going on.

output_log.txt 1.47 MB · 0 downloads kiad_terminal.txt 326 B · 0 downloads

You have way to many airlines with many planes serving Terminal A2. My advise is to move some of the regional United airlines (ASH,SKW exc.) to terminals C & D, instead of only having UAL serving those terminals. It might not be completely as it is in reality, but it will help you, not having so many planes dropped because of "no free terminal". I have attached the original terminal file for IAD, from when the airport was released. Here you can see, how the regional airlines are more spread out. 

kiad_terminal.txt

@GoalieMedic “No free terminal” indicates there are no gates available for those arrivals. Assuming your terminal assignments are realistic and you want them to remain realistic, the only way to combat this issue is to create and play with schedule snippets - chunks of 1 to 3 hour blocks from your original schedule.

Unfortunately FT chose to load 8-10 hours of flights to appeal to hardcore all night gamers. As a result, by loading that many flights the gates for airports with any traffic at all are fully loaded at startup. This causes arrivals to wait in a virtual hold pattern until gates open up.

If more than 12 hours for one day are used, the Schedule Creator should automatically create snippets with up to 4 hours. Have you tested if the snippets also lead to overcrowded terminals? This is not so much a help for you as for me. I may have to further reduce the maximum length of the snippets for the Schedule Creator.