The simFlight Network Forums

Makerunways does not work with msfs

Terry Phelps

Okay, then it is definitely a long path name problem, and for some reason the method using \\?\ before the pathname proper isn't working.

The last line before the crash is:

***** Processing MSFS official scenery (Asobo=-1)
    "\\?\D:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2263347563-3261326988-2989552293-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Official\OneStore\fs-devmode\Edition\templates\AssetGroups\SimObjects\airplanes\singleprop-empty\SimObjects\Airplanes\MyCompany_AssetName\"

which, without that \\?\ part, is precisely 260 characters - the old MAX_PATH length. 

Looking at me installation, the next path after that would have been:

"\\?\D:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2263347563-3261326988-2989552293-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Official\OneStore\fs-devmode\Edition\templates\AssetGroups\SimObjects\airplanes\singleprop-empty\SimObjects\Airplanes\MyCompany_AssetName\model\"

which would be the longest name so far, and over the maxiumn path length that the Windows API normally handle.

Oddly, though I also have MSFS installed with its data files on a different drive, my path for this is still via the C:\users folders, which appear to link to my E:\WpSystems folder where the data actually resides, thus:

"\\?\C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-devmode\Edition\templates\AssetGroups\SimObjects\airplanes\singleprop-empty\SimObjects\Airplanes\MyCompany_AssetName\texture\"

So, the longest path I'm getting is 244 (to which will be added the individual BGL file names, if the folder contains any scenery type files).

I don't understand why your MSFS installation has succeeded in placing the data into your D:\WpSystems folder ywt not provided a link in the default :C\Users folder as mine has. What have you done differently, I wonder?

The \\?\ prefix evidently doesn't work to allow the long pathnames (despite the MS documentation stating so). So I'm only left with two suggestions:

1.  Make sure your Win10 is fully up to date. (Win 2004 or 20H2)

2. Try the registry edit. See

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/?utm_content=buffer5b5de&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

You might also ask in MSFS support forums why your installation doesn't work through links in C:\Users. Maybe there's a way of creating the links there. In fact, try this: In explorer go to 

C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Are the folders there? Can you click on them and see the folders and files within?

If so, then the links are still working and there's an error in your UserCfg.opt file.  This is a text file and, running an editor "as administrator" you can edit it. Find it here:

C:\Users\Terry\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

The last line will be the one to change. It probably points to your D:WpSystems folder. Change it to:

InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\Terry\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages"

If this doesn't work I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

Pete

• 4 months later...
On 4/17/2021 at 12:01 AM, Terry Phelps said:

Have been using makerunways for years with P3D and recently with MSFS. Had a system crash so reloaded msfs and makerunways. When I click the make runways exec. it only creats a file called runways but it is empty. I had it working before reload. My msfs is and was on my d drive under the default WpSystem folder. Any assistance would be appreciated. i use the program with msfs and Pilot2 atc. As stated worked fine for a while.

Hi Terry,

Did you ever get this sorted as I am having a similar problem?