Jump to content
The simFlight Network Forums

Tower3D Pro: Need help troubleshooting schedule/terminal files


Recommended Posts

OK, took a crack at modifying some schedule files I found, and when I try to start the game now it gets stuck at 54%. Based on some searches, I'm sure I have a typo somewhere in the files I've edited....but I haven't been able to find it ūüė쬆anyone have some time to take a look? Attached is my output log, schedule file, and terminal file. thx!

output_log.txt kphx_schedule.txt kphx_terminal.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crbascott said:

@kooheadJust doing a quick check and it looks like you have some time formatting issues.  You need to make sure your hours have the leading zero. For example 9:33 should be 09:33.

ah. OK. will change the column format. thx! Is there a post somewhere that outlines the format requirements for the various txt files? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure how you are creating the schedule
I use a spreadsheet, then save as CSV file then rename to TXT file

For optimisation, whilst the departures are correctly latest to earliest, the arrivals should be in the reverse order

This flight appears to be an error, with GLL instead of LHR
GLL,PHX,744,BA,289,19:34,12:00,1,BA
The return flight is correct
PHX,LHR,744,BA,288,12:00,22:03,1,BA

As for the Custom plane :
Custom plane found: B738
I do not use GA, but I suspect the issue is caused by a mismatch
The program appears to be attempting to add GA flights
Terminal_2: GA 
I suspect you need to specify the actual ICAO airlines codes

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have most all of the custom schedules for PHX plus I also use @EliGrim's Schedule Builder and his new Schedule Creator.  I've created master text files for my airplanes, airports, airlines and terminal text files for each airport I have.  The master files include a combination/consolidation of everything from the various custom schedules that I have.  I usually then only have to replace the commercial and GA schedule text files when I change from one custom schedule to another.  I've attached my current PHX master text files if you want to give them a try.  However, my terminal file was fairly accurate until they closed down Terminal 2 and moved ASA, BTQ, QXE, NKS and UAL to the new (renovated) Terminal 3.  I believe that it has more gates than the game's Terminal 3, so I'm hoping I won't lose any flights to "no free terminal" issues (going from a total of 24 available gates between the two terminals to 15 total available gates at Terminal 3).  Not sure which Terminal 3 gates are for which airlines (north terminal or south terminal) so I just put the airlines from Terminal 2 into both the game's Terminal 3 north and south terminals to spread the flights out to help avoid losing flights due to the game's Terminal 3 configuration with potentially limited gates.  Also, in most custom schedules EJA, MNU, JSX, GAJ, SLH, VTE would usually be included in the custom schedule's GA schedules (they are private chartered airlines) so they normally wouldn't need to be specifically listed in Terminal 1 (GA).  However, FlightAware which I use for Schedule Creator includes them in their commercial airline schedules; therefore, it is easier for me to list them in Terminal 1 and then I don't have to rebuild their flights into the Schedule Creator session's GA schedule.  

The ‚ÄúB738‚ÄĚ is in my PHX airplanes master text file or you can copy and paste or enter this into your PHX ‚Äúairplanes.txt‚ÄĚ file:

B738-738-BOEING 737-800                           -NARROW BODY JET

Hope this helps.

PS.  If anyone knows where specific PHX Terminal 3 airlines' gates are located (north or south terminal), I'd appreciate if you could let know. 

kphx_airlines.txt kphx_airplanes.txt kphx_airports.txt kphx_terminal.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ron C said:

If anyone knows where specific PHX Terminal 3 airlines' gates are located (north or south terminal), I'd appreciate if you could let know. 

I use flightera.net to find out the history of specific departures (up to 18 months old, so we are up to September 2019 now)

I use a real world flight, then scroll down to calendar (for example September 2019)
I then open up flights for specific dates, and this includes the gates the aircraft used
In most cases this would be the stand number
For example at EGLL, Terminal 5A Gate A12 would be Stand 512
However there can be exceptions with shared gates and bus gates, but using the Terminal maps can help

It can be a long drawn out process, it has taken me three weeks to complete the first Monday of September 2019 for EGLL
I recorded each flight, each aircraft, terminal arrival, and then matched departing aircraft to flight departure

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks MJKERR for noticing the error with that BA flight.¬† pretty sad considering i've personally taken that flight many many times ūüôā

I can look into the GA flights but pretty sure that's contained in a separate schedule file? I'll try removing those files as well.

Thanks for including your master files Ron...I tried to use your airplanes file but hung at the same point. My schedule must be calling 738 or 739 wrong?? the 3rd column of the schedule file should just be the 3 char plane designation as found in the 2nd column of the airplane file correct?? 

As far as how I created this schedule, I took a custom schedule from ATControl-Joe and tried to match up the airlines and plane types with what was in the RC manifest files (so that I would not have any white planes).  I didn't change any times or airports or any of that. I believe his download contained an airplane.txt files as well, so that was what mine was (didn't make any edits). I did make edits to the terminal file, trying to move all GA flights to the now non-existent Terminal 2 and moving all Cargo flights to the South Cargo terminal.  Other than that...didn't make any changes.

 

I guess I'll start over and make one set of changes at a time and see where things blow up ūüôā

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJKERR said:

For optimisation, whilst the departures are correctly latest to earliest, the arrivals should be in the reverse order

Exactly what type of optimization does one get by doing this? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJKERR said:

I use flightera.net to find out the history of specific departures (up to 18 months old, so we are up to September 2019 now)

Thank you for your response and suggestion/info; however, @EliGrim just fulfilled my request in @koohead's other KPHX Thread.  However, I'll keep it in mind in case I need it for a future airport (never hurts to have extra knowledge).

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, koohead said:

 I did make edits to the terminal file, trying to move all GA flights to the now non-existent Terminal 2 and moving all Cargo flights to the South Cargo terminal. 

Unfortunately, the error messages in the log file can be cryptic. The issue has nothing to do with the B738, but is actually due to the terminal edits you made. It's ok to move cargo airlines to one terminal, but the game engine and/or airport is expecting an entry for Terminal_west_cargo and Terminal_east_cargo in your kphx_terminal.txt file.

Instead of deleting these entries and assuming you don't want anything to use these "terminals" I would suggest adding the following to your terminal file: 

Terminal_west_cargo: XXX
Terminal_east_cargo: XXX

In addition to the above issue, you are going to be dropping a few flights because of an invalid airport code (MSD). I believe the airport code you actually want to use is SJD. Unfortunately, Joe had a tendency for bugs and his GA schedules were not realistic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Unfortunately, the error messages in the log file can be cryptic. The issue has nothing to do with the B738, but is actually due to the terminal edits you made. It's ok to move cargo airlines to one terminal, but the game engine and/or airport is expecting an entry for Terminal_west_cargo and Terminal_east_cargo in your kphx_terminal.txt file.

Instead of deleting these entries and assuming you don't want anything to use these "terminals" I would suggest adding the following to your terminal file: 

Terminal_west_cargo: XXX
Terminal_east_cargo: XXX

In addition to the above issue, you are going to be dropping a few flights because of an invalid airport code (MSD). I believe the airport code you actually want to use is SJD. Unfortunately, Joe had a tendency for bugs and his GA schedules were not realistic. 

Thank you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Instead of deleting these entries and assuming you don't want anything to use these "terminals" I would suggest adding the following to your terminal file: 

Terminal_west_cargo: XXX
Terminal_east_cargo: XXX

Interesting, earlier today I modified my PHX terminal file by removing all the airlines from Terminal 2 (however I did leave the "Terminal_2:" in the file) but I didn't use any place holders ("XXX") and the PHX session started just fine.  However, I do think using a place holder is probably a good idea so I'm going to put one in for Terminal 2 and for any future modifications I might make.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron C said:

Interesting, earlier today I modified my PHX terminal file by removing all the airlines from Terminal 2 (however I did leave the "Terminal_2:" in the file) but I didn't use any place holders ("XXX") and the PHX session started just fine.  However, I do think using a place holder is probably a good idea so I'm going to put one in for Terminal 2 and for any future modifications I might make.

If I’m not mistaken, leaving an entry blank could result in any airline using that terminal. Hence the use of XXX.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, crbascott said:

If I’m not mistaken, leaving an entry blank could result in any airline using that terminal. Hence the use of XXX.

You are not mistaken.

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks everyone for the help. once I fixed the terminal file everything loaded without issue.  I'll have to play around with the airports and see what I can do to fix all the issues. I suppose I can add to the airport file, or just change the schedule. Another project for another day...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crbascott said:

If I’m not mistaken, leaving an entry blank could result in any airline using that terminal. Hence the use of XXX.

 

2 hours ago, EliGrim said:

You are not mistaken.

Makes sense, I guess.  I'm not a programmer whiz kid, but I didn't know an airplane in this game could on its own just decide to taxi to or spawn at a terminal that it wasn't assigned to in the terminal file (if that is what you are saying).  However, I accept your expertise that it can happen.  Anyway, I had already put a place holding "XXX" for my Terminal 2 before your posts.  Thank you guys for providing the info and insight (you learn something new every day). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ron C said:

I didn't know an airplane in this game could on its own just decide to taxi to or spawn at a terminal that it wasn't assigned to in the terminal file (if that is what you are saying)

If you have a terminal with no assigned airlines and one or more airlines that are not assigned to a terminal, they will use the free terminal if there is a suitable gate for the size of the aircraft. It is more unlikely that the terminal will be used if all airlines in the schedule are assigned to other terminals. I can't say if they then will spawn at this "free" terminal, this didn't happen during my tests back then, but it can happen under certain circumstances that airlines will taxi to this terminal. To be on the safe side, it is therefore advisable to use an unused code for the terminal that is not supposed to be served.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EliGrim said:

If you have a terminal with no assigned airlines and one or more airlines that are not assigned to a terminal, they will use the free terminal if there is a suitable gate for the size of the aircraft

That was what I expected with the following at EGLL, but instead the aircraft did not appear

KLC / WA - KLM City hopper, E90 aircraft
I had not included KLC at Terminal 4
Terminal GA had no airlines assigned
I expected these flights to appear then accidently arrive at Terminal GA

Equally, I was not aware the program was taking into account the aircraft size
Although I have found three stands at EGLL Terminal 3 that as yet have never had A380 at them

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EliGrim said:

f you have a terminal with no assigned airlines and one or more airlines that are not assigned to a terminal, they will use the free terminal if there is a suitable gate for the size of the aircraft. It is more unlikely that the terminal will be used if all airlines in the schedule are assigned to other terminals. I can't say if they then will spawn at this "free" terminal, this didn't happen during my tests back then, but it can happen under certain circumstances that airlines will taxi to this terminal. To be on the safe side, it is therefore advisable to use an unused code for the terminal that is not supposed to be served.

Thank you for the explanation.  I now understand and it also now makes more sense to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • koohead changed the title to Tower3D Pro: Need help troubleshooting schedule/terminal files
On 4/19/2021 at 2:31 PM, MJKERR said:

 I was not aware the program was taking into account the aircraft size
Although I have found three stands at EGLL Terminal 3 that as yet have never had A380 at them

I decided to test this further today
I had assumed stands could accept any aircraft
There appear to be two configurations :
Any
Not Heavy

Oddly this includes the B757, as it is classed as Heavy

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MJKERR said:

There appear to be two configurations :

There’s actually three. Gates have a parameter called termlimit and there are three values that allow the following planes to park:

0 - props
1 - anything but heavy
2 - all, including heavy.

But, unfortunately, this parameter is not visible to us so there’s really nothing we can do with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, crbascott said:

There’s actually three. Gates have a parameter called termlimit
0 - props

Does not seem to apply at EGLL
I tested with B752, B77W and A388
Then with A318, and this would use any stand
Tested with DH4 and this too would use any stand

Updated my schedule spreadsheet with a Heavy column, and this explains why one of the Cathay Pacific flights was always waiting for a Free Terminal

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MJKERR said:

Does not seem to apply at EGLL

There‚Äôs more to life than just EGLL.¬†ūüėĬ†If you run a test¬†at KPHL using¬†Terminal D you‚Äôll find 2 gates that only props can park at and two gates where only an¬†A388¬†can park.

4 hours ago, MJKERR said:

Tested with DH4 and this too would use any stand

A DH4 can park anywhere. The termlimit parameter specifies the max plan size allowed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crbascott said:

There’s more to life than just EGLL.

For Tower 3D I do not have KPHL
I have EDDM, OMDB and EGLL
I now only use EGLL awaiting next version of Tower

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.