The simFlight Network Forums

Tower3D Pro: gaandlocaltraffic.txt file format tips?

koohead

Apologize for all of the questions but I'm back with more scheduling questions. I'm onto the GA schedule and it seems it is a completely different format than the regular schedule file. So trying to understand what dependencies it has with relation to the airplanes file, terminal file, airports, etc.  in looking at the default file that came with Real Traffic, there doesn't seem to be a "pair" requirement, meaning GA flights seem to just spawn and despawn if you will magically? What restrictions are there for what can or cannot go into the gaandlocaltraffic schedule? 

thanks

5 hours ago, koohead said:

I'm onto the GA schedule and it seems it is a completely different format than the regular schedule file.

Unfortunately, yes.

there doesn't seem to be a "pair" requirement, meaning GA flights seem to just spawn and despawn if you will magically?

I don't understand what you mean by "pair" requirement. Essentially, all flights spawn in a "magical" manner. If there are "Restarters" for GAandLocal flights, I can't tell, but I don't think so.
In my schedules I usually have local flights in the main schedule, although this requires the airlines to be included in the airlines.txt, and for the GAs I make sure that arrivals depart after an appropriate time to keep the apron "clean". However, this does not mean that my approach is the most appropriate one.

What restrictions are there for what can or cannot go into the gaandlocaltraffic schedule?

Theoretically, every flight can be inserted into gaandlocaltraffic.txt, but features such as flight direction after departure, (presumably) restarters, etc. are waived, and of course airlines cannot be assigned to individual terminals this way.

galocaliexl.thumb.jpg.f11c757a743263eca0383ebd7a9b796b.jpg

Thanks, that is helpful.  my question regarding pairs has to do with making sure every arriving flight eventually leaves at some point, thus not occupying a gate indefinitely. But it doesn't seem GA flights behave this way. I wonder if it'll cause a problem if I assign GA gates to park at a terminal other than the GA terminal (via editing the Terminal file).  

Is it possible to have airlines listed in the airlines file within the GA file? and if an airline IATA code is part of the callsign, would that require the airline to exist in the airlines file??

You can assign GA flights to any terminal.

If you want a callsign in the GA file you will need to manually type in the callsign each time

If you add the airline to the main schedule (like I prefer to do) then you just need to add the ICAO to the terminal. GA terminal or otherwise.

Eg if you want Boutique airlines to arrive at the GA terminal, add the flight in the main schedule, and then add BTQ to the GA terminal in the terminal text file.

If it's a new small airline then I usually add it to the airlines text file

38 minutes ago, koohead said:

making sure every arriving flight eventually leaves at some point, thus not occupying a gate indefinitely.

I'm going to be bold and say this is impossible. What you think is a pair and what the game thinks is a pair may not match. Additionally if you are using real life schedules, planes can be scheduled/towed for maintenance and never depart. So, pairing is a noble idea but not worth the time and effort in my opinion.

38 minutes ago, koohead said:

I wonder if it'll cause a problem if I assign GA gates to park at a terminal other than the GA terminal (via editing the Terminal file).  

As @hexzed said, you'll need to take the flights out of the GA schedule file and add them to the main schedule file. Gates are a precious commodity with this game, why would you want GA to park at a regular terminal?

33 minutes ago, koohead said:

Is it possible to have airlines listed in the airlines file within the GA file? and if an airline IATA code is part of the callsign, would that require the airline to exist in the airlines file??

The GA schedule file does not use the airlines file (or airports file for that matter), so you can put whatever you want in there.

Thanks for all the answers. I guess i'm creating problems (and extra work) for myself by wanting to move GA to the now non-existent TErminal 2 at KPHX...just in hopes of using a defunct terminal because I moved the airlines that use to park there over to Terminal 3.  

And interesting that GA schedule does not use airlines or airports files...which I didn't spend a couple hours updating those. LOL. 

Thanks for all the answers. I guess i'm creating problems (and extra work) for myself by wanting to move GA to the now non-existent TErminal 2 at KPHX...just in hopes of using a defunct terminal because I moved the airlines that use to park there over to Terminal 3. 

If you want to use Terminal 2 in the game, I suggest you use it as a private charter terminal.  Then all you have to do is build the private charter flights into you regular Phoenix airline schedules and assign them Terminal 2 in your terminal text file instead of the GA terminal.   I've been using @EliGrim's Schedule Creator and have added numerous private charter airlines into my commercial airline schedules since they were included in the FlightAware data source that I use for making my Schedule Creator schedules.  I've attached the list of the private charter airlines that I've so far added for you to use if you want.  All you have to do is add the list to the end of your airlines text file (they are already formatted therefore it should be a simple copy and paste action), add them to Terminal 2 in your terminal text file, and build them into your kphx_schedule.txt file(s).  You can choose whichever aircraft type you want to use out of your “airplanes.txt” file.  I tested it and it worked.

There are also numerous other private charter airlines included with other airport's custom schedules; however, most of them don't have an IATA designator since they are usually included in the custom schedule's GA schedule.  However, you can create a designator for it as long as there isn't another airline with that same designator already in the game.  The IATA designators I used for my list were selected by Schedule Creator when I built them into the airport's schedule I was creating.  I assume these are IATA designators that aren’t already being used in T!3DP (however, this would have to confirmed by @EliGrim).  One thing to remember is that when you reinstall Real Traffic your airlines, airports, and airplanes text files will be overwritten and any added data lost, so always be sure to back up (at least) those files for your airports before you reinstall it.

Private Charter Airlines.txt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron C said:

The IATA designators I used for my list were selected by Schedule Creator when I built them into the airport's schedule I was creating.  I assume these are IATA designators that aren’t already being used in T!3DP (however, this would have to confirmed by @EliGrim)

That is correct. The IATA codes in the drop-down list, when adding an airline, are from 1,681 combinations (A-Z, 0-9, #, *, $, +, -) that have not already been used by RT, respectively all airlines known to the Schedule Creator, and your own list. (The same applies to the 17,576 combinations for airports.) The Schedule Creator makes a random preselection, which of course can be changed.

9 hours ago, hexzed said:

As an aside, you can use the ICAO in the IATA space if you want.

I didn't know that (you learn something new every day).  Thanks for the info.  It’s Interesting that you are using military call signs in your airlines file.  Do you mind providing an example of what that looks like (or how you do it)?

6 hours ago, Ron C said:

Do you mind providing an example of what that looks like (or how you do it)?

No problem. There is nothing special about what i do, it's just a matter of using the same format as normal, but adding the details as shown below (6 letters is the largest callsign i have come across so far)

copper.PNG

5 hours ago, hexzed said:

There is nothing special about what i do, it's just a matter of using the same format as normal, but adding the details as shown below (6 letters is the largest callsign i have come across so far)

Thank you (that’s sort of what I figured).  Now I can slip a few of those into my PHX schedules for more realism.  I know the “Copper” call sign is the correct one for that Air Guard unit; however, where are you parking the planes since T!3DP didn’t give us the capability to modify the airfields.txt file?  I’m parking them at the south cargo terminal since it is adjacent to the military apron.  Also, what aircraft are you using?  I’m using the Boeing 707 since I believe that unit still flies KC-135 tankers which are converted 707s.  The 707 isn’t included in the PHX airplanes.txt file so I had to copy and paste the “Boeing 707-300” aircraft from the Real Traffic “Retro” folder’s airplanes.txt file into my PHX airplanes.txt file.  It works but produces (as expected) a white tailed airplane with windows (well I guess one can’t have everything).  Also, the 707 is considered a heavy aircraft for those who apply wake turbulence separation when playing the game.

This wasnt specifically related to PHX, but depending on airport, I put them in the closest terminal to their actual real life location. 

In regards to the text files, I have a master airplane file that contains all the plane types, and a master airline file, and a master airport file. I edit these depending and then copy them to the individual airport. 

In essence all airports contain the same files, so I can use any airline or plane and not have to worry about it not working.

13 hours ago, hexzed said:

In regards to the text files, I have a master airplane file that contains all the plane types, and a master airline file, and a master airport file. I edit these depending and then copy them to the individual airport. 

In essence all airports contain the same files, so I can use any airline or plane and not have to worry about it not working.

I also use master text files, but mine are only airport specific.  I think I like your idea better; so I'm going to spend a little time and make one set of T!3DP-wide master airplanes, airlines and airports text files to use for my 8 airports. 

Do you know if when a new version of Real Traffic (RT) is released if new additions to the three text files are added to the bottom of the previous RT text files’ lists or are they integrated throughout the text files’ lists?   Also, if new text file items are added to RT because of a new airport DLC’s release are those new items only added to that new airport’s text files or are they added to all of the T!3DP DLCs’ text files?  I’m trying to seek a way(s) to keep the master text files updated without having to compare them line by line after each RT release.  Any particular method you use?

1 hour ago, Ron C said:

Also, if new text file items are added to RT because of a new airport DLC’s release are those new items only added to that new airport’s text files or are they added to all of the T!3DP DLCs’ text files?

It varies, but usually only for the latest airport. This makes sense, because as long as the RT schedules of the old airports do not change, there is no reason to touch the text files of these airports. The Real Traffic package is extended and not RT plus (potential) custom schedules.

1 hour ago, Ron C said:

I’m trying to seek a way(s) to keep the master text files updated without having to compare them line by line after each RT release.  Any particular method you use?

There are many (even free) text editors and other software that can compare files and highlight differences. Apart from that, as far as I observed, Nyergesdesign adds new lines at the end and does not hide them between other lines. So it shouldn't be that hard to identify the new entries.

As Eligrim says Gabor will normally add the new files at the end of the text file. 

I dont actually compare with the new RT, I have made my own airline list by exporting from a website such as avcodes, then cross referencing with Gary's spreadsheet.

I also make all my own schedules so I know if an airline is not in my file yet.

The other way I check especially for new airports is run the schedule from midnight, then from midday, then check the output log by searching for unknown. This will bring up any airport or airline codes the game cannot find.

@Ron C Perhaps a final note or more of a personal thought.
I prefer to have only the airlines, airports and aircraft in the files that are needed for the current schedule. Whether the game builds a database internally when loading the airport/schedule or scans the files constantly, the game becomes more performant the fewer records need to be processed. Whether this will be noticeable in the framerate, for example, I don't know. Most likely, you won't even gain a fraction of a frame per second.
Nevertheless, my personal experience with the airlines file has shown that the fewer entries in the file, the better the speech recognition works, especially with callsigns like UZBEK or SICHUAN, which the speech recognition likes to have difficulties with, at least for me. Whether other players have had or are having the same experience, I can't say, though.

2 hours ago, EliGrim said:

I prefer to have only the airlines, airports and aircraft in the files that are needed for the current schedule.

Thank you for sharing your thought and info.  I'm now rethinking my single only master text files idea vs my current in place airport DLC specific master text files, especially since I still have my old(er) system (I wish FeelThere would hurry-up and let us know what the minimum and recommended system requirements are going to be for the new Tower XX).   I had forgotten about the fact that extra unneeded files could impede my system's performance (it really does need all the help it can get).  Also, one last question:  do you know if the game will still load up all the way if there are duplicate entries in any of the airport (being loaded) DLC's three text files? 

10 hours ago, EliGrim said:

I prefer to have only the airlines, airports and aircraft in the files that are needed for the current schedule. Whether the game builds a database internally when loading the airport/schedule or scans the files constantly, the game becomes more performant the fewer records need to be processed. Whether this will be noticeable in the framerate, for example, I don't know. Most likely, you won't even gain a fraction of a frame per second.
Nevertheless, my personal experience with the airlines file has shown that the fewer entries in the file, the better the speech recognition works, especially with callsigns like UZBEK or SICHUAN, which the speech recognition likes to have difficulties with, at least for me

The only difference in framerate I have noticed is once you select an aircraft
With EGLL it reduces by about half
On my test files (which are usually just one aircraft type, one airline and one terminal) I have not noticed any difference (ODMB and EGLL)

I also agree with reduced / minimum files
The most noticeable is the
airlines.txt
file
For each airport I have amended it for the airlines that are included only
I have also amended some of the callsigns to assist / optimise the speech
An obvious one is
QANTAS -> KWANTAS

I also revised the
airplanes.txt
file
I placed all the aircraft in a more sequential order, whilst again removing any that were not required
However again I have not noticed any difference
It does make it easier to find aircraft though

2 hours ago, MJKERR said:

However again I have not noticed any difference

Even though it often doesn't look like it (on my end) the game technically sits at 60 fps on my PC. With the tools at my disposal, I can't measure any difference either.
It's good to have a second experience report, but only someone with knowledge of the source code can probably clarify it conclusively.
My conclusion is based on longer loading times, the more content the addressed files have, which means for me that at least at one point the files are scanned completely. Of course, we are not talking about tens of seconds here. These are minimal differences, but they are reproducible, on my PC.
The same applies to better speech recognition with reduced airlines. This is especially noticeable once I'm in the game for more than 30 or 40 minutes. Again, I can only speak for myself and the hardware and software I use, but it is reproducible as well.
Whether my conclusion is the right one, though, must be confirmed or refuted by someone with more knowledge than I have.

Changing the callsigns to improve speech recognition has been a working and useful method for a long time now. Personally, however, I would advise against doing it when sharing a custom schedule. When I was still posting schedules here on the forum, I quickly learned that the well-intentioned changes I made, although they worked for me, did not work for a large percentage of other players.

Thanks again for your report. It's interesting to know that your experience differs from mine.