Jump to content
The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC v7.2.0 beta support: Adding Lvars to Offsets


John Dowson
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello John,

Thanks a lot for this update. I have tested it, and lvars from the profile ini file were well mapped to offsets for read and write (and conditions 👍)  


Meanwhile I have hit the 64 char limit for the ipc.execCalcCode, would it be possible to extend it to 128 or maybe even 256?

Cheers,

Nenad

P.S. Here's list of hvars for DA40 TDI (different fron DA40-NG).

DA40 TDI.hvar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nenad Bogojevic said:

Thanks a lot for this update. I have tested it, and lvars from the profile ini file were well mapped to offsets for read and write (and conditions 👍)  

Thanks for the update - good to know!

1 minute ago, Nenad Bogojevic said:

Meanwhile I have hit the 64 char limit for the ipc.execCalcCode, would it be possible to extend it to 128 or maybe even 256?

Maybe, I'm not sure yet, its something I need to look into. I'll take a look in the day or two to see if this is an easy change or not.
If it looks to be something that could be tricky and/or risky, I may have to leave this limit. However, I could add an additional FSUIPC control for executing calculator code, which could except up to 256 characters (I was planning to add this anyway).

Thanks for the additional hvar file!

Cheers,

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nenad Bogojevic said:

Meanwhile I have hit the 64 char limit for the ipc.execCalcCode, would it be possible to extend it to 128 or maybe even 256?

Have you actually tested with a calc code string > 64 characters? The limit I have currently set for this is 256 characters (and this can be increased relatively easily, but would require an update of the WASM module to handle), so maybe I was mistaken with the lua limit.

I will check this - tomorrow though....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried to install, getting message that FSUIPC is already running. I rebooted and don't see it running anywhere but I am still getting that pop-up when trying to install. What am I missing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Have you actually tested with a calc code string > 64 characters? The limit I have currently set for this is 256 characters (and this can be increased relatively easily, but would require an update of the WASM module to handle), so maybe I was mistaken with the lua limit.

Just tested and it works with more than 64 char expressions - up to 255. Over that FSUIPC crashes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Nenad Bogojevic said:

Just tested and it works with more than 64 char expressions - up to 255. Over that FSUIPC crashes.

Ok, good to know it works, but it shouldn't crash when the limit is exceeded - I'll fix that and log a message when the limit is exceeded.
Do you think 256 chars (well, 255 + a terminator) is enough? I could easily extend further (up to 8k, the max size held in a Client Data Area).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Helibrewer said:

Tried to install, getting message that FSUIPC is already running. I rebooted and don't see it running anywhere but I am still getting that pop-up when trying to install. What am I missing?

Are you sure its not running? The installer performs a simple check to find the process FSUIPC7.exe, and if found will display a message and abort.
I can't see how this check can fail - and it hasn't changed or been an issue since release....Sis you check in the windows Task manager?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Are you sure its not running? The installer performs a simple check to find the process FSUIPC7.exe, and if found will display a message and abort.
I can't see how this check can fail - and it hasn't changed or been an issue since release....Sis you check in the windows Task manager?

Never figured it out, rebooted, used the uninstaller and it couldn't delete the exe either. I was able to rename the exe, reboot, then I could delete it. I have no idea what was loading FSUIPC at boot but it didn't show in task manager that I could see. 7.2 is now installed so I can start figuring out this lvar offset stuff now....thanks!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Helibrewer said:

Never figured it out, rebooted, used the uninstaller and it couldn't delete the exe either. I was able to rename the exe, reboot, then I could delete it. I have no idea what was loading FSUIPC at boot but it didn't show in task manager that I could see. 7.2 is now installed so I can start figuring out this lvar offset stuff now

Ok, very strange, but glad its now working.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Nenad Bogojevic Looks like a problem with the build of the last version I posted. Here's one I tested - max characters allowed is 255 (or 256 with terminating \0):FSUIPC7.exe
Also contains a minor update to change the value parameter when creating an lvar from a dword to a double. There's also a corresponding  update to the WASM for this, but the latest published one will still work Ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Here's one I tested - max characters allowed is 255 (or 256 with terminating \0)

 No crash anymore and so far no problems with new exe file - error shown in the log when expression too long 👍

Quote
    17187  [ERROR]Error setting Client Data Calculator Code: code contains 256 characters, max allowed is 255

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RCFlyer said:

I have tried to download beta v7.2.0, but, the link doesn't work for me.  Is there another link/place I can get the download?

The link should be fine, but quite a few people have reported the links on SimMarket not woeking for some reason. Try a righ-click and select 'Save as...'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, asessa said:

Did i do right this ?

[LvarOffsets.A320FBW]
0=A32NX_BRAKES_HOT=SB

No! Where is the offset (location), i.e. the place to store the value? Please see the provided documentation: 

Quote

Once you have created the section, you can add the lvars to the offsets you require by adding lines of the following
format to this section:
    <
index>=<lvar name>=<size><offset>

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

No! Where is the offset (location), i.e. the place to store the value? Please see the provided documentation: 

 

Ah ok, I understand now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm gonna ask this just to see if I did everything right or not.

So, I'm trying to asign the LVAR resposible for toggling the beacon light in the Aerosoft CRJ 550/700. I know the LVAR name is ASCRJ_EXTL_BEACON.

image.png.55a34cf190fee09b8c044a3bb43803bc.png

Looking at the offset from the manual, I find the correct value. And I add the line to the FSUIPC7.ini
image.png.9f356549928ff5e8ba616d34381e9012.png

Is this correct? If so, what would be the next step? Do I bind the joystick button through FSUIPC7?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RickFSN said:

Looking at the offset from the manual, I find the correct value. And I add the line to the FSUIPC7.ini
image.png.9f356549928ff5e8ba616d34381e9012.png

Is this correct? If so, what would be the next step? Do I bind the joystick button through FSUIPC7?

It is not a good idea to try to use an offset which is already being handled by FSUIPC. Whatever value to put there or receive will be overwritten. Use one of the User Offsets (66C0-66FF).

Then assign your switch to an Offset Byte Set or Offset Byte ToggleBits control with your chosen offset and an appropriate parameter. For On I assume you'd Set 1, for Off probably Set 0, or for a toggle button ToggleBits with parameter 1.

Pete

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I don't understand is how the plane will know that the LVAR ASCRJ_EXTL_BEACON has been toggled. I'm trying to wrap my head around the entire LVAR situation as it is completely new to me. And so far, the Aerosoft CRJ has been the only plane to use them because of dev decision. 

I have already asked for help on the aerosoft forums, but I've just been ignored or told to spend more money on Spad.Next. Fortunately, I had FSUIPC from a while ago, but it is proving difficult for me to bind my Virpil Control Panel and Logitech Throttle Quadrant to interact with the plane systems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, RickFSN said:

What I don't understand is how the plane will know that the LVAR ASCRJ_EXTL_BEACON has been toggled.

L:Vars ("Local Variables" as I think of them) are mostly the plane's own internal controls or status indicators. Not all of them will change switches etc -- some are more really outputs -- status indicators or memories. You have to try them to see how they operate.

Pete

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RickFSN said:

Looking at the offset from the manual, I find the correct value. And I add the line to the FSUIPC7.ini
image.png.9f356549928ff5e8ba616d34381e9012.png

Is this correct? If so, what would be the next step? Do I bind the joystick button through FSUIPC7?

As well as not using a free offset, as Pete has said, you shouldn't have a space between the size identifier and the offset (although it might work, I'm not sure).

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Then assign your switch to an Offset Byte Set or Offset Byte ToggleBits control with your chosen offset and an appropriate parameter. For On I assume you'd Set 1, for Off probably Set 0, or for a toggle button ToggleBits with parameter 1.

As you have defined the size of the offset to be SW (Signed word), when you read or write/assign. you should use the Offset Word Set/Setbits/Togglebits/etc controls for assigning, and ipc.readSW if reading in lua. i.t. ALWAYS match the controls/functions that you are using to write/read to the actual size you have defined for the offset to hold the lvar.

Alternatively, and better, if that lvar just holds a 0/1 to designate on/off, store it in an unsigned byte offset, using the UB size designator, then assign to Offset Byte Set or Offset Byte ToggleBits assuggested by Pete (and using a free user offset, e.g. A000).

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi John,

I discovered an issue with ipc.execCalcCode. As long as parameter sent is exactly the same, subsequent calls are not re-evaluated. As soon as there is a different expression, between those calls it works. The easiest way to spot it is toggle buttons - if there is expression behind only the first toggle works. 

In following example only the first toggle is executed. There can be any amount of time between two calls - it can be on different events for example - it always toggles just once.

-- This toggles marker mute
ipc.execCalcCode("(A:MARKER BEACON TEST MUTE, Bool) ! (>K:MARKER_BEACON_TEST_MUTE)")
-- Some time later
-- This should toggle marker mute to original state, but it doesn't
ipc.execCalcCode("(A:MARKER BEACON TEST MUTE, Bool) ! (>K:MARKER_BEACON_TEST_MUTE)")

 This code, however, toggles correctly:

-- This toggles marker mute
ipc.execCalcCode("(A:MARKER BEACON TEST MUTE, Bool) ! (>K:MARKER_BEACON_TEST_MUTE)")
-- Some time later
-- Dummy expression, always evaluates to 1 without side effects
ipc.execCalcCode("1")
-- This now toggle marker mute to original state
ipc.execCalcCode("(A:MARKER BEACON TEST MUTE, Bool) ! (>K:MARKER_BEACON_TEST_MUTE)")

If there is execution of any other different gauge expression between calls with same parameter, those work are executed.

Cheers,

Nenad.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.