The simFlight Network Forums

Honeycomb Throttles and Airbus via FSUIPC problem

Hey there,

a new strange problem occured while using any Airbus since I've got my new Honeycomb Bravo throttles. I've intended to use FSUIPC for the axes and LINDA for buttons. So far, I didn't use any profile in the Honeycomb software, as I wasn't sure if those settings were "global". In any case, I want a certain setting of axes to be loaded automatically with a certain aircraft. And that's what FSUIPC can do very well. Now to the problem:

When using the Aerosoft A330, the throttles don't move at all, even when I use the same FSUIPC profile that works without a problem with all other addon aircraft such as PMDG, TFDI,... It doesn't matter wheather I use "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration" or "Send to FS as a normal exis" - When I move the hardware throttles, nothing happens in the cockpit but the click of the sound of the throttle detents. The FADEC section of the configurator - as described in the manual - isn't there anymore. So, nothing to switch there..

When using the FSL A320, he throttle levers in the either start halfway to full throttle (only half the range that it should be), or they work in the opposite direction. To make it more exact: You have 2 options to set the axes in FSUIPC:

1) Axis assignments => Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration => Assign "Throttle1" and "Throttle2": Then I can influence the direction in "Joystick Calibration" by ticking or unticking the "Rev" tickbar at the corresponding Throttle setting (all the other axes need this setting with my Honeycomb). But this way, the throttle movements in the Airbus effectively start in the middle of the throttle range in the VC and ranges to TO/GA - so only half way of what it should be. No chance to bring it to idle with the Honeycomb throttles.

2) Axis assignments => Send to FS as a normal axis => "Throttle1 Set" and "Throttle2 Set": Then I get the full range from Idle to TO/GA, but in the opposide way (Honeycomb idle causes TO/GA in VC and Honeycomb full power causes Idle power in the VC). In this 2nd option, there is no tickbar to click "Rev". So again, no way to change that.

I just can't find a way to tell the Airbus to recognize the full range or the proper direction of my throttles.

At first, I thought it must be a special FSL problem. But now, that it doesn't work with the Aerosoft Airbus either, I'm not even sure in which forum I should adress this problem: Here at the AS Airbus forum? At Honeycomb? At FSUIPC? Or at FSLabs? ...as it only seems to come up with the combination Honeycomb throttles and any Airbusses.

With the Saitek throttles that I've used before, there was no problem at all, using the same kind of axis assignments.

I should mention that within FSUIPC, at Joystick calibration, all the other axis like Prop Pitch, Mixture,... show a range from -16380 to 16384 for "In" and "Out". Only the throttle axis show a "Out" range from just 0 to 16384, while at the same time, the "In" range is still from -16k to +16k, like all the others. I can't change that by setting min and max. Did I do any stupid mistake while calibrating the joystick axis??

Could you imagine, what is wrong here?

I'm using P3d v4.5

Best regards and thanks in advance.

Dominik

Edited by DeeJay

11 hours ago, DeeJay said:

You have 2 options to set the axes in FSUIPC:

You missed the normal sim axis controls "Axis ThrottleN Set". The ones you are selecting use half of the range for reverse thrust, so the forward thrust uses only 0-16383. The Axis ... Set controls are the ones P3D would use and don't have a reverse range so use -16384 to 16383 for forward thrust.

11 hours ago, DeeJay said:

or they work in the opposite direction.

The direction in which axes work is controlled by the "REV" option in calibration.

For proper support you need to supply some real information. You don't even say what version of FSUIPC you are using. Please supply your FSUIPC INI file so we can at least see your settings. You'll find that in the FSUIPC installation folder.

Also take care to ensure that you are not running any other software specific to the Honeycomb devices, and that you have controllers disabled properly in P3D.

Pete

OK, FSUIPC version is 5.157. I've put my FSUIPC.ini file into the attachment.

On 6/6/2021 at 9:51 AM, Pete Dowson said:

You missed the normal sim axis controls "Axis ThrottleN Set". The ones you are selecting use half of the range for reverse thrust, so the forward thrust uses only 0-16383. The Axis ... Set controls are the ones P3D would use and don't have a reverse range so use -16384 to 16383 for forward thrust.

Well, if you mean the number of the throttle by the "N", then this is exactly what I've tried, as discribed in case 2). But as soon as I go for "Axis ThrottleN Set", I get -16k to +16k, BUT no effective way to tick the "Rev" button. I can do that in the Joystick calibration axis. But if I get that right, this tickbar refers to the "Direct option". Thus, having chosen the "Axis ThrottleN Set" option, I can't calibrate the axis via FSUIPC, as this seems to refer to the "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration" option. So, I either have range 0 to 16k with a controllable Rev option, or a -16 to +16 range without a choice to "Rev".

Of course, the corresponding axis in the P3d v4 default controls menu are all disabled.

Meanwhile I could solve the problem with the FSL Airbus with its own inbuilt calibration system, that can reverse the axis itself and obviously also define idle to max depending on what is sent to it by a joystick axis.

However, at the Aerosoft A330, it still doesn't work. Very strange, that the throttle axis there are controllable by the 1 (!) Thrustmaster axis, but not by either 1 or 2 of the  Honeycomb ones.

I've installed the Honeycomb software, but I've left any setting or profile untouched so far, as I didn't want any other player in the axis game than FSUIPC.

All other aircraft that run on the default FSUIPC profile, are working fine with exactly the same axis assignments.

Dominik

FSUIPC5.ini

14 hours ago, DeeJay said:

Well, if you mean the number of the throttle by the "N", then this is exactly what I've tried, as discribed in case 2). But as soon as I go for "Axis ThrottleN Set", I get -16k to +16k, BUT no effective way to tick the "Rev" button. I can do that in the Joystick calibration axis.

Yes, the option to REVerse the axis is certainly part of the calibration you need to do. If you read that section of the User Guide you will find easy step-by-step instructions for proper calibration.

14 hours ago, DeeJay said:

But if I get that right, this tickbar refers to the "Direct option". Thus, having chosen the "Axis ThrottleN Set" option, I can't calibrate the axis via FSUIPC, as this seems to refer to the "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration" option

This is because the INI you attached shows that there are no (ZERO) assignments to AXIS_THROTTLE controls. ALL of your assignments are "Direct to Calibration" except the STEERING _SET and RUDDER_SET assignments on most of the profiles. You have NOT changed your assignments to the AXIS_ ones listed for FS controls at all!

Pete

4 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

This is because the INI you attached shows that there are no (ZERO) assignments to AXIS_THROTTLE controls. ALL of your assignments are "Direct to Calibration" except the STEERING _SET and RUDDER_SET assignments on most of the profiles. You have NOT changed your assignments to the AXIS_ ones listed for FS controls at all!

Yes, at the moment I've copied the INI file, I had already changed the Axis for FS controls back to the Direct option, because I couldn't make it work.

I'm gonna try and find the part of the User Guide and report back, if I could solve it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Dominik

3 hours ago, DeeJay said:

Yes, at the moment I've copied the INI file, I had already changed the Axis for FS controls back to the Direct option, because I couldn't make it work.

Sorry, then. without the relevant settings I can't help. The only possibly explanation of the "Direct" label in the Calibration is that the assignment was still direct, not the AXIS ones to FS as suggested. I suspect you had a different profile active to the one you did those assignments for.

3 hours ago, DeeJay said:

I'm gonna try and find the part of the User Guide and report back, if I could solve it.

Just change your assignments to FS controls "Axis ... Set" as suggested. I'm sure this will solve it. There really is no puzzle here. 

And please do understand that there's really little point in asking for help without supplying the relevant information, so please, next time, do only supply files which relate to the report you are making. Okay?

Pete