The simFlight Network Forums

Rudder/Brakes problems

I hoped to solve this myself but it seems beyond me.  I can't decide if the problem is my CH Rudder pedals/toe brakes wearing out, but the coincidence of two pots going bad on the same day?  I am using FSUIPC4 for everything with the controllers off in FSX.

I am running FSX Steam.  I can set the rudder axis but when I try to calibrate it I only get the extreme figures (-16384 or 16383)  or zero.  The result is as you'd expect the rudder flies from full left to full right or maybe centres.    A few days ago this was not happening and the rudder worked perfectly.  But then when I tried to assign the toe brakes they interfered with the rudder.

Now I have the situation where the right brake is okay - assigned and calibrated.  Even got a nice pause before the brake came on.  The left brake is like the rudder - all or nothing.

I am using an Alabeo Aztec but changing aircraft gives the same rudder performance (DC3 and Baron 58).

I attach a log file.

Thanks in advance.

FSUIPC4.1.log

2 hours ago, rojo2021 said:

I notice it mentions versions of Windows up to 8.  Can I proceed as suggested in W10?

Yes, it should be the same. It only mentions windows up to 8 as that post was written in 2014, before windows 10 was released.

I should update it....

Yes, I will!  And the words 'don't mess with the registry unless you know what you're doing' is always there, so.. as I'm no expert...

Can I just check here.  I've used Pete's HidScanner and my controllers appear there as follows:

Vid  068e  (4 folders)  there seem to be 2 for the CH yoke (I no longer have) and 2 for the CH pedals.

Vid  06a3  (4folders) one confirms this is the Saitek quadrant (which is working well) and replaced the throttle, prop and mixture on the CH yoke.

Vid 294b  (1 folder)  My new Honeycomb yoke also working well.

Logic (!) seems to suggest that the folders to delete are the four Vid 068e referring to the CH products.  The yoke I no longer use and the pedals that I hope will get a new correct registry entry.   That right?

Sorry to be a pain.

Roger

2 minutes ago, rojo2021 said:

Logic (!) seems to suggest that the folders to delete are the four Vid 068e referring to the CH products.  The yoke I no longer use and the pedals that I hope will get a new correct registry entry.   That right?

Yes - you could restrict to just remove the rudder by using the Pid (Product Id) as well, but if you no longer have the yoke there is no problem removing that as well (i.e. just using the Vid to remove all products from that vendor). Make sure that the pedals are disconnected when you edit the registry, and best to reboot afterwards before reconnecting.

4 minutes ago, rojo2021 said:

Sorry to be a pain.

Not at all!

Hi John,

I went through that and sorry to report that I still have similar problems.   (The register has updated entries)   The rudder was flipping as before full left/right or sometimes centred.   At one point the right brake operated the rudder perfectly!   

I have tried to go back to basics and remove the rudder/toe brakes from FSUIPC in both axes and calibrations.

Strangely I still get the 'differential brake' message with the left pedal which I can lose when I press slightly on the toe control.  But now nothing else.  Obviously I can fly but without a rudder it's not perfect!

It does look/feel like a problem with the hardware.  Is there anything that I can do in FSUIPC that might confirm that?

Roger

4 hours ago, rojo2021 said:

Here are the files.  I notice lots of 'Right brake' entries.  These were when I pressed the left pedal.

Here are the Axis assignments you have for the Profile for the Alabeo Aztec:

[Axes.Alabeo Aztec]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=AX,256,D,4,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Throttle }-
1=AY,256,D,5,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: PropPitch }-
2=AZ,256,D,6,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Mixture }-
3=AU,256,D,5,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: PropPitch }-
4=AV,256,D,6,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Mixture }-
5=BX,256,D,8,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: RightBrake }-
6=CX,256,D,1,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Aileron }-
7=CY,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-
8=CP,0,F,66416,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: PAN_VIEW }-

You will see that you only have a Right Brake assignments, none for the left brake.  No wonder you get the "Differential brakes" message.  And is axis X on your CH Pro Pedals really your right brake? Seems most unusual. I notice you have no rudder assignments. I would expect X to be left toe brake rather than right.

Your generic assignments, those for non Profiled aircraft, are these for the same pedals:

3=BX,256,D,7,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: LeftBrake }-
4=BY,256,D,8,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: RightBrake }-
5=BZ,256,D,3,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Rudder }-

i.e axis X assigned to Left brake, not Right. And Right brake and Rudder assignments too, which seems a more useful set. You also have two different axes assigned to the Mixture control. Mistake?

Maybe you just need to redo your assignments in this profile, and make sure you complete them, and the correct way around?

Looking further, I see you have another Aztec profile:

[Profile.Aztec]
1=AH_Piper_Aztec
2=Alabeo PA23 Aztec F 250 WHITE
3=Beech Baron 58 Paint1

with these Axis assignments:

[Axes.Aztec]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=AX,256,D,4,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Throttle }-
1=AY,256,D,5,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: PropPitch }-
2=AZ,256,D,6,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Mixture }-
3=AU,256,D,5,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: PropPitch }-
4=AV,256,D,6,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Mixture }-
5=BX,256,D,7,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: LeftBrake }-
6=BZ,256,D,3,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Rudder }-
7=CX,256,D,1,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Aileron }-
8=CY,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-

This is different in that you have the Left brake assigned to axis X, but no Right brake, and also two mixtures, but at least it includes a Rudder.

Pete

Morning Pete,

I did reply to you yesterday morning but it doesn't seem to have gone to you so here goes again.

First thanks for looking at the files and setting out everything so clearly.  It is a bit of a mess.  Above all though it seemed/felt there was  something to do with the pedals themselves and since yesterday I have done some digging there and my suspicions have been confirmed at least partially.  I have sent for some more pots - one is definitely not working so I'll change all three.

However regarding the axis assignments I will need to sort this out even when the pedals are repaired.

It's obvious that I will need to un-assign some things.  Can I do this by removing the line in the .ini file?  Or is it more complicated than that?   In FSUIPC there is the option to reset all axis assignments.  I did try that (I can easily do them again) but it didn't seem to remove all the axis assignments.  Is the .ini file rewritten each time the FS is closed down? 

I'm going off to a dark room with the manuals but I can't recall seeing anything to help me but I will look again.

Thanks again.

Roger  

2 minutes ago, rojo2021 said:

It's obvious that I will need to un-assign some things.  Can I do this by removing the line in the .ini file?

Yes, thats the easiest way. Best to do this without FSUIPC running.

3 minutes ago, rojo2021 said:

In FSUIPC there is the option to reset all axis assignments.  I did try that (I can easily do them again) but it didn't seem to remove all the axis assignments. 

That will only remove axis assignments for the currently loaded aircraft, so will only affect one profile (the one currently loaded).

3 minutes ago, rojo2021 said:

Is the .ini file rewritten each time the FS is closed down? 

Yes, but the axis/button assignments are not updated then - they are updated when you close the FSUIPC window (click 'Ok').

1 hour ago, rojo2021 said:

It's obvious that I will need to un-assign some things.  Can I do this by removing the line in the .ini file?

That's one way.  Or just uncheck the assignment in the Axis assignments tab. If you assign another control in the same line (there are 4) then it will replace the previous one in any case. Unticking it instead allows you to change from "Direct to ..." mode to "Send to FS" mode, where you can access the Axis ... Set controls.

Pete