The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS *partly* not connecting

Hi Pete,

I am sorry to bother you but I have a problem with FSUIPC/WideFS wich I am unable to fix.

Until last spring I had a proper configuration with FS2002 on PC 1 and FSMeteo and other stuff on my 2nd PC (with Win98SE on both PCs).

Then I installed WinXP prof. on PC 1 and since then I was unable get a connection to the PC2 (still Win98 SE) via WideFS although my network is working properly in general. I changed network protocol and tried everything according to manual, but all efforts remained unsuccessful so I simply gave up.

Recently with current version of FSUIPC and WideFS (3.08/6.11 - all registered) I tried it again after having installed FS2004 in addition to FS2002.

I was happy and surprised to see all working properly again!! I take this as a proof, that there at least is no network problem.

Next I copied all needed FSUIPC-/WideFS files from FS2004 modules folder into FS2002 modules folder and started FS2002 full of expectation. But only to face the cruel fact it still refuses to work! What happens instead is that on loading Wideserver displays "Unable to serve - see log". But unlike the FS2004 installation no logfile is created (folder is not write-protected). In addition soon after FS2002 is running I get the information "This version of WideFS requires FSUIPC.... or later...". Mind you even with the identical installation and registration key this error (?) occurs.

Just for confirmation purposes I created a 'clean' installation of FS2002 on the same partition and copied again all FSUIPC-/WideFS files into modules folder and -it works fine!!!!

So there must be a problem with my 'regular' FS2002 installation but I have absolutely no idea. I presume that there might be an addon which is interfering. I admit I have a lot of stuff installed that is why I still use this one mainly instead of FS2004. To name the one or the other I have Dreamfleet B734, PMDG B737 NG, Eurowings Professional, Justflight Dash8 and a lot of sceneries.

Maybe you can help before I am forced 'to give up again'...:-)

I hope I managed to describe my problem(s) properly, please excuse my very limited english!

Best regards

Ulli

http://www.edll.de

Next I copied all needed FSUIPC-/WideFS files from FS2004 modules folder into FS2002 modules folder and started FS2002 full of expectation. But only to face the cruel fact it still refuses to work! What happens instead is that on loading Wideserver displays "Unable to serve - see log". But unlike the FS2004 installation no logfile is created (folder is not write-protected). In addition soon after FS2002 is running I get the information "This version of WideFS requires FSUIPC.... or later...". Mind you even with the identical installation and registration key this error (?) occurs.

I've never heard of a problem where WideServer doesn't produce at least the start of a log. But is sounds like one of two things. Either there are multiple copies of one of the DLLs in the troublesome installation (possibly renamed?), or the FSUIPC.KEY file isn't correct in that particular Modules folder. The FSUIPC.LOG file would tell me about the latter, but try copying your FS2004 KEY file over (again?).

Just for confirmation purposes I created a 'clean' installation of FS2002 on the same partition and copied again all FSUIPC-/WideFS files into modules folder and -it works fine!!!!

All the stuff both FSUIPC and WideFS deals with is in the Modules folder, so I suggest a good first step is to compare the "clean" modules folder with the suspect one. There must be some difference there causing the problem.

When you find the differences, try eliminating them one by one till you've found the culprit, then get back to me. Don't delete anything, just move it into a temporary folder (I use a sub-folder in the Modules folder called "Saved" or "Others"). And don't rename anything, that makes it more confusing and it may still load if it looks like a DLL.

Regards,

Pete

....so I suggest a good first step is to compare the "clean" modules folder with the suspect one. There must be some difference there causing the problem.

Hi Pete,

I have compared all files over and over and could not found any difference. That makes sense because I had copied the identical files from one modules folder to the other (deleting previous installations).

But the g-o-o-d (but still confusing) n-e-w-s is, that I all is working fine now also with wideserver log being produced. I can't exactly tell you why but after having posted my problem I tried again with the very latest update (OCT 29) of FSUIPC/WideFS. After having copied fsuipc.dll and wideserver.dll all is runnnig now as if there had never been any problem.... :roll:

Thank you for your help and your precious work.

Best regards

Ulli