The simFlight Network Forums

Suppress MultiLine window issue

Hi John / Pete,

Running v6.1.2 in P3D v5.2. I use Radar Contact on a separate PC/display so have no need to see the window for RC on the sim PC. I have selected Suppress Multiline in FS's Window so in theory should not see the RC window. But I do when it's first launched.

I have these settings in the ini file:-

ShowMultilineWindow=Yes
SuppressSingleline=No
SuppressMultilineFS=Yes

Can you spot anything wrong with those options that would cause the RC window to be displayed?

19 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Running v6.1.2 in P3D v5.2. I use Radar Contact on a separate PC/display so have no need to see the window for RC on the sim PC. I have selected Suppress Multiline in FS's Window so in theory should not see the RC window. But I do when it's first launched.

You can just suppress text in the P3D UI.

Unlike in FSX and P3D1-3 the displays are standard SimConnect Windows.  I don't know whether the old options for FSUIPC-instigated displays were linked up in FSUIPC5/6. If not I suppose they could be, but the whole code was simplified to use the SimConnect facilities.

Pete

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Doing that would also suppress the Active Sky stuff wouldn't it? I want to keep that as it's useful to know when the wx is being updated.

It suppresses messages but (unfortunately for me) not menus.

As a WideFS user why not use the facilities to have all the displays in a client window in any case? The Lua file provided (AllTexts.lua) even provides an extracted ActiveSky report suited to your planned flight (provided you get AS to auto-load your P3D plan).

Back onto the FSUIPC question, though, what were you using with P3D4? Did the option work then? I can have a look at the code, but not till tomorrow.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I use ShowText on a WideFS PC for Radar Contact. Have done for years. No extra space on that monitor for another lua script window I'm afraid.

This seems to be a long-standing issue. I had the same in v4 but just lived with it. It's not a major issue but it just seems that if I select the option not to show a multiline SimConnect window for RC it should work.

5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I use ShowText on a WideFS PC for Radar Contact. Have done for years. No extra space on that monitor for another lua script window I'm afraid

But the one overall window in AllTexts accommodates all possible displays -- SimConnect ones (which include the RC one), the ActiveSky plan weather derived by FSUIPC, and an optional selected file like a log. The window is divided into two, one part from SimConnect Texts, the rest for SimConnect Displays, Menus, ActiveSky, or the scrolling text window. You just use a button or key to toggle through the latter but with an outstanding SimConnect Menu taking precedence automatically.

11 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

This seems to be a long-standing issue. I had the same in v4 but just lived with it.

You should really have mentioned it back then. I've really stopped FSUIPC work and development, and John is in a support-only mode for a little while, and is anyway otherwise mostly busy with MSFS these days.

But, as I said, I'll take a look tomorrow. If it is still documented as working then it should -- or the documentation updated of course. I suspect the facility is only used by RC which is retired too, like me! 😉

Pete

Pete, don't spent much time on this. It's soon sorted but it would be nice if it didn't appear at all. Shouldn't SuppressMultilineFS=Yes  prevent the RC window from showing? The options in FSUIPC don't make any reference to SimConnect and like most, I'm not an expert on how these things are controlled.

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The options in FSUIPC don't make any reference to SimConnect

There is no hacking into 64-bit P3D code used in FSUIPC5 or 6. All displays facilities are implemented using the SimConnect facilities instead. Previously, in the 32-bit world, they were implemented by hacks into the underlying functions and data structures within FS9, FSX, and P3D1-3 respectively.

Pete

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have these settings in the ini file:-

ShowMultilineWindow=Yes
SuppressSingleline=No
SuppressMultilineFS=Yes

Can you spot anything wrong with those options that would cause the RC window to be displayed?

Hi Ray,

Having looked up the User guide for these options I note that:

The feature for multiline displays may already
automatically be enabled when P3D is first loaded, but it can be turned on and off (to use only ShowText for example)
in that front option screen. There are two further options there:
 One, which is removed if the multi-line FS window is enabled, and which when checked stops multi-line messages
going to P3D’s default message window. Use this if you want to use ShowText to display the multi-line text, such
as on another screen or even another PC via WideFS.
 The other option which can be used to suppress the single-line messages routed through FSUIPC. FSUIPC cannot
prevent messages displayed by programs using SimConnect directly.

It seems to me, from this description, that the Window you want to suppress needs "ShowMultilineWindow=No", not "Yes". Quite honestly I doubt that there's any separate option for a "Multiline Window" as opposed to a "MultlineFS" window any more, but before I pore through the code could you try RC with the Show option changed to No. I'm not sure what other Windows you might be worried about.

I don't actually have any ready-made programs which use any of these facilities, so rather than make one I'd first like to use you as my test bed, please! 😉

Pete