The simFlight Network Forums

Tower3D!: Specifying runway exit?

koohead

8 hours ago, MJKERR said:

Equally, if you are using Windows 10 create some shortcut commands in Notepad which you can easily swap to
You can then copy/paste which will save you time

I don't want to hijack this thread, but this is exactly what I made Clipboarder for.

• Like 1

You can use "Exit at Taxiway XX" any time after you have cleared the plane to land until it finishes its landing rollout (i.e. when you get the 10 pts).

The plane will not exit the runway before it finishes its rollout, even if you told it to exit at an earlier taxiway and it said "Yes, I'll exit there".

There is a bug in the game where the plane does not take into account the length of the displaced threshold. So it checks from the start of the runway, using its rollout distance, to determine if it can exit at the given taxiway before telling you that it can. The problem with Dubai is that it has displaced thresholds between 4000 and 5100 feet, so it will say that it can exit at a taxiway up to 5100 feet before it really can. However, It still will not exit until it has finished its landing rollout.

Addendum - Yes I know that the real Dubai Airport does not have displaced thresholds between 4000 and 5100 feet. However, the game uses 'fake' displaced thresholds of these sizes to make the plane land further down the runway.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, WildCard said:

The plane will not exit the runway before it finishes its rollout, even if you told it to exit at an earlier taxiway and it said "Yes, I'll exit there".

I think that's what my problem has been...I must have been specifying a taxiway too early in the rollout. thanks

7 minutes ago, MJKERR said:

Callsign XXX, runway XXX, clear to land, exit at taxiway XXX

Is that a realistic command? I rarely hear anything like this while the plane is still in the air other than maybe LAHSO instructions.

Although, I can understand wanting this in the game because of the screwy way planes land.

I found using the take next available option typically gets the plane off earlier than it would normally if I need them to try but not always on the ideal place. This way it may work out more realistically as each landing is unique and anything can happen so pilots missing a turn as mentioned is not unheard of. 

36 minutes ago, Ripskin said:

I found using the take next available option typically gets the plane off earlier than it would normally

Each plane has a built in landing distance. It will not exit prior to its defined landing distance, so as @WildCardstated above an exit command will not get a plane off the runway any earlier than "normal".

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, crbascott said:

Is that a realistic command?

I've never heard that, so I assume it's not. Usually, the pilots have the computer on board calculating the landing distance and telling them where to exit, so they might know better than the ATC what they can't and can do.

(In the video I posted, the A350 did exactly that - either not knowing that runway 33R was an option to exit onto or calculating that the 1,900 meters [6,234 ft] landing distance were just beyond the turn for 33R, because otherwise it would have configured the braking action to do exactly that, I'm sure. You can see the explanation starting at 0:48.)

1 hour ago, crbascott said:

Each plane has a built in landing distance. It will not exit prior to its defined landing distance, so as @WildCardstated above an exit command will not get a plane off the runway any earlier than "normal".

As called out the game uses some factors (correctly or not is not in debate) to determine which route to send a plane along automatically.  So if you do nothing the plane will at some point get off the runway.  That may not be the earliest possible moment the plane "could" get off, or the direction that makes the most sense in relation to their assigned apron. 

My point was by specifying take next available left or right and if they can they will vs specifying a taxiway and having to repeat commands until you get one they think they can make but still may miss due to their roll.  They certainly may not get off any earlier but at least that command makes it possible. 

@Ripskin I guess if a plane would normally exit to the left and you tell it to take the next right and it happens to be closer, then yes I guess you can say the exit command can get the plane off the runway earlier.  

However, let me reemphasize the key point I am trying to make. As I said in the thread I linked below, a "plane will not take an earlier exit than it physically can". A plane must slow down to 45 knots and then eventually to 19 knots as it exits. Issuing an exit command will not make a plane slow down to 45 knots quicker. 

Using the example from way back in 2017, the earliest a 753 would exit at KSAN is B8. No command would get the 753 to exit before then. 

• Upvote 1

@Ripskin As @crbascott said, a plane will not exit before its rollout is complete. The rollout is complete when you are awarded the 10 points and the plane changes its state to "ESCAPE_RUNWAY". When its state has changed to "ESCAPE_RUNWAY" it will then determine which side of the runway the centre of all of the terminals is on and set its runway exit direction towards that point. If it has been told to exit left/right it will use this direction instead. It then tries to find the first exit on that side of the runway that is less than 98 degrees from its direction of travel. If this fails, it will then tries to find the first exit in any direction that is less than 98 degrees from its direction of travel. If this fails, you get a "Map Error" penalty.

@MJKERR What runway is it landing on, what taxiway are you trying to get it to exit at, what taxiway is it exiting at, and what terminal/stand is the plane going to? With that information I could tell you why its not working.

On 8/7/2021 at 12:02 AM, MJKERR said:

I got so fed up of this I stopped using OMDB

Just tested OMDB... worked like a charm!

I'm using VACATE RUNWAY LEFT/RIGHT ONTO TAXIWAY X, usually the moment the arrival comes visible on ADIRS.

Edited by EliGrim

@MJKERR All of those exits are on the side of the runway that is opposite from the centre of all of the terminals at OMDB. So you need to use the command that includes which side to leave the runway from i.e. "VACATE RUNWAY XX RIGHT ONTO TAXIWAY XX"

An example using the info I provided above:
If you use the command "EXIT AT TAXIWAY Mike-5-Bravo"; when the plane's state changes to "ESCAPE_RUNWAY" it determines that the left side of the runway is closest to the centre of all of the terminals as it has not been told to exit left/right it will use this direction (i.e. left). It then tries to find a taxiway named 'M5B' exiting on the left side of the runway that is less than 98 degrees from its direction of travel. As there is no M5B on the left side of the runway, this fails. It then tries to find the first exit in any direction that is less than 98 degrees from its direction of travel. This can be on the right if the first taxiway only exits to the right, if it exits to the left and right from the same point, it will use the left exit.

• Like 1