The simFlight Network Forums

Tower3D!: Specifying runway exit?

koohead

Actually @MJKERR does have a valid point, as you would think that S7 is pointing away from the centre of all of the terminals.

However, I was trying to keep the explanation as simple as possible. In reality the game does not use the concept of "left" or "right" of the runway, it uses the dot product of the non-normalised taxiway exit vector and the normalised normal, on the side closest to the centre of all of the terminals, of the runway vector to determine if the taxiway is pointing in the correct direction. Using non-normalised and normalised vectors in a dot product to determine angle is mathematically incorrect, and could be what is causing this anomaly.

Or it could simply be that S7 does exit the runway before N7. They are 2 separate Taxiways and therefore can join the taxiway at separate points, even if this is not visually noticeable. So when the program gets to the "just take the next available exit" part, then S7 is selected first.

@WildCard I am confused. Are you implying that @MJKERR has arrivals exit on S7 to park on the opposite side of the runway? In my mind, the turns to be made at the end of the runway would be very disruptive to other arriving pilots. I can't imagine MJKERR doing that.
Towards the cargo area and T4 I don't see a problem and it would be explained by the right and left concept, regardless of how the game translates it mathematically.
But sure, since I don't own EGLL and thus don't know how it actually plays, my posts remain rather theoretical.

I also don't want to rule out the possibility that MJKERR uses S7 to bypass the runway in a somewhat strange way and it may even be done in real life. If he does so and it works, then the left or right concept would not be applicable to EGLL of course but for me doing that doesn't make sense, at least not the way the map on ADIRS looks in gameplay videos.

@EliGrim I'm assuming that he has them exiting at S7 to head to Cargo/T4, due to him complaining about the taxi routes around T4 in an earlier post. The reason why left/right doesn't make sense here is that the direction is determined by where the centre of all of the terminals in the whole airport is, not the centre of the terminals the plane could go to. So in this case the game would pick exiting to the "right" of Runway 27L and look for a S7 taxiway that exits in that direction.
Personally, I think it's failing to find the S7 taxiway to the right, then looks for the first taxiway in either direction and, even if S7 & N7 exit at exactly the same point, it just happens that it checks S7 before N7 and determines it can use S7. I'll never know for certain, I have no desire to delve into this any deeper in order to find out as it provides no benefit to me to debug code that I'm not using. 🙂

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MJKERR said:

I would need to check, but I do not have this listed as valid commands

Most likely you won't, as I based the command on Eli's post and my own memory. i.e. I didn't check it for accuracy.

The actual commands are 

#airplane1; VACATE RUNWAY LEFT ONTO TAXIWAY ;#taxiway1
#airplane1; VACATE RUNWAY RIGHT ONTO TAXIWAY ;#taxiway1

and should already be in your tower3d.rec file

Ok, I'm done with this conversation.

@MJKERR The first 3 examples you provided for OMDB are working as I described.

The 4th example is a fake. Don't fake log files.

On 8/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, MJKERR said:

COMMAND: FDB436 RUNWAY 30L CLEARED TO LAND
05:19:38 * FDB436 => ADD HISTORY: FDB436: RUNWAY 30L CLEARED TO LAND FDB436
COMMAND: FDB436 VACATE RUNWAY RIGHT ONTO TAXIWAY M8
05:19:38 * FDB436 => ADD HISTORY: FDB632: EXIT AT TAXIWAY M8 FDB436
COMMAND: FDB436 TAXI TO TERMINAL
05:25:54 * FDB436 => ADD HISTORY: FDB436: TAXI TO TERMINAL FDB436
05:26:25 alt: 0 takeoff: False/False/-2 OWNER_TOWER t: T2_7 r: 30L * FDB632 => escape cross: K9

A real example:

COMMAND: FDB683 RUNWAY 30L CLEARED TO LAND 
05:05:40 * FDB683 => ADD HISTORY: FDB683: RUNWAY 30L CLEARED TO LAND FDB683
COMMAND: FDB683 VACATE RUNWAY RIGHT ONTO TAXIWAY M8
05:05:51 * FDB683 => ADD HISTORY: FDB683: VACATE RUNWAY RIGHT ONTO TAXIWAY M8 FDB683
05:08:29 alt: 0 takeoff: False/False/-2 OWNER_TOWER r: 30L * FDB683 => escape cross: M8

Your examples at EGLL are also working as I described

Over the many years (25 I think?) that I have been a member of this forum, that is the best post I have ever read! (And some have been close to priceless, but this one wins the cigar/goldfish/biscuit *delete as applicable)

Moral of this tale?  Do not ever try to bullsh!t an expert.  Not ever! Never. I said "Never!"  Got it?

I'm now going to have a beer and will raise a toast to @WildCard& @MJKERR

Cheers fellas! You've made my day! One of you in one way and the other one in another!  

All the best,

Wayne