The simFlight Network Forums

POV hat changed from buttons to axis

scottike

I'm in the process of mapping a new controller in FSUIPC7 and initially the POV hat switch directions were registering as buttons 32-39.  Now they no longer register as buttons but show up as an axis.  Is there a way to select which to use?

Thanks,

Scott 

1 minute ago, scottike said:

I'm in the process of mapping a new controller in FSUIPC7 and initially the POV hat switch directions were registering as buttons 32-39.  Now they no longer register as buttons but show up as an axis.  Is there a way to select which to use?

What has changed, if anything?

They should be recognised as buttons. What controller are you using? Have you installed any specific drivers or software for the controller? If so, try uninstalling and let Windows install the default drivers.

Also, please show me your FSUIPC7.log, FSUIPC7.ini and FSUIPC.JoyScan.csv files.

Also, note that the PAN VIEW axis control for the hat no longer works in FSUIPC7/MSFS. To assign a POV hat switch in FSUIPC7, you need to assign to the key control bindings assigned in MSFS.

John

I guess a reboot wasn't the cure.  Using the PoV as buttons only works intermittently.  The device I'm using is a Teensy 3.6 running teensyduino code.  It shows up as a  Serial/Keyboard/Joystick/Mouse in the Windows HID list.  When using the Windows usb game controller panel the POV directions show up reliably.  Moving to FSUIPC the axis changes also show up reliably with each POV change.  They do not trigger reliably as buttons. 

In MSFS the bound events will trigger occasionally if I hold the POV down but it's random and unreliable.  I had wanted to shift the function of each POV position with a compound command using a "shift" button on my yoke (K,0).  I've also tested without using the compound command and it's still unreliable.

I'd switch to using defined axis zones to trigger commands but I think I lose the ability to shift the function of the POV with a compound command.  If there's a straightforward was to do that with lua I'm happy to try it.  I've attached the log files requested.  The controls are still a work in progress so the FSUIPC7.ini file is a bit messy.

Thanks again for the help!    

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.JoyScan.csv FSUIPC7.log

********* FSUIPC7, Version 7.1.0 (9th May 2021) by John Dowson *********

Before I look into this, please update to the latest version of FSUIPC, v7.2.6. Your log file shows you are using an old version, v7.1.0. However, your ini looks recent....
Are they from the same folder?

On 8/20/2021 at 4:13 AM, scottike said:

I've updated it and the problem remains.

But what exactly is your problem? A hatr switch (buttons 32-29) can be assigned as an axis (e.g. to PAN_VIEW, but not in MSFS/FSUIPC7) or as individual buttons.
Your ini shows that you do have some assignments to your hat switch:

6=HK,38,K37,10 ;     hat left glance left     -{Key press: ctl+Left}-
7=HK,32,K83,8     -{Key press: S}-
8=HK,34,K39,10     -{Key press: ctl+Right}-
9=HK,36,K40,10     -{Key press: ctl+Down}-

The log you attached is useless as it doesn't show anything - not even which aircraft you are using.
Could you please explain what your issue actually is. Also, active logging for 'Buttons & Keys' as well as 'Events'. Load an aircraft, activate the hat switch, then close down MSFS/FSUIPC7 and show me the log  and ini files from that session.