The simFlight Network Forums

Real Colors Livery Update Packs

Pedantic G

Would you be interested in the idea of a Real Color Livery Update Pack on a 2 to 3 times a year basis for the current version of Tower! 3D Pro?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in the idea of a Real Color Livery Update Pack on a 2 to 3 times a year basis for the current version of Tower! 3D Pro?

• Yes, what an excellent idea
    • No, you must be crazy!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/31/2021 at 10:59 PM

10 hours ago, Pedantic G said:

So NOT a GA as such in this instancei but GA Garuda Indonesia so that does not work as a GA aircraft, it's a commercial IATA code. 

Nope, that is a GA plane, loaded from the GAandLocalTraffic.txt file. If it was a Garuda Indonesia flight, then it would have been loaded from the schedule.txt file and have the appropriate flight number and callsign.

All the GA planes are white normally, but if there is a texture that matches the plane's type and has the "_ga" extension (i.e. XXXX_ga) then that texture will be applied to the GA plane. I do not recall ever seeing a non-white GA plane by default (i.e. livery included in the RT file's model).

Edit: I could take a screenshot with the same plane requesting to do a "stop and go" if that will convince you that it is, in fact, a GA plane 🙂

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Nope, that is a GA plane, loaded from the GAandLocalTraffic.txt file. If it was a Garuda Indonesia flight, then it would have been loaded from the schedule.txt file and have the appropriate flight number and callsign.

All the GA planes are white normally, but if there is a texture that matches the plane's type and has the "_ga" extension (i.e. XXXX_ga) then that texture will be applied to the GA plane. I do not recall ever seeing a non-white GA plane by default (i.e. livery included in the RT file's model).

Edit: I could take a screenshot with the same plane requesting to do a "stop and go" if that will convince you that it is, in fact, a GA plane 🙂

Daniel, not disputing that its loaded from the GAandLocalTraffic.txt file as I can clearly see your file extract with it in 😉

What I was saying is that IF you use an aircraft type which happens to be part of the Garuda Indonesia fleet (currently 6 types) in the GAandLocalTraffic.txt file and you happen to have that RC Manifest pack in your folders (manifest 19, 24 & 35) then the game seems to automatically overwrite the base files and put this livery on it due to that airline having the _GA as its IATA code. If not it puts the white aircraft in (try taking out all the color packs to see). Just tested this and the first picture on the left is with the color packs and the second one on the right without using a GAandLocalTraffic.txt file as you did.

I have not tested all the other GA types as not had time but think that as you say the bulk if not all would show up with a white livery so to get colors on them the RT main airplanes_pack1 file will need to be updated as part of an RT update by Gabor for them to show up in GA schedules not as part of an RC Pack update

Untitled.thumb.png.a59d6f58d96fafbc0bec487d9e1323f9.png

I would tend to agree, a generic update that affects at least three airports, every three months

I have been getting round this by only purchasing the required airport real colour packs, not the airports
The next issue is that older liveries get over-written, so the variety gets removed
As an example my EGLL installation uses one Air Canada livery from an earlier released airport that is older and more correct for 2018 instead

However if the next version of Tower can quickly replace existing airports then these updates become irrelevant, as multiple liveries has been promised

• Like 1

As an aside, I know this would create a massive spreadsheet and some research time

How about taking all the main commercial aircraft "white planes", and then listing all the operators
There is then a simple tick box YES / NO
The packs can then be created from the NO list

That is what I have for the airports I have purchased, and the real colours
I can then see what aircraft I can use, and which are missing

I have never actually researched it the other way!

37 minutes ago, MJKERR said:

As an aside, I know this would create a massive spreadsheet and some research time

How about taking all the main commercial aircraft "white planes", and then listing all the operators
There is then a simple tick box YES / NO
The packs can then be created from the NO list

That is what I have for the airports I have purchased, and the real colours
I can then see what aircraft I can use, and which are missing

I have never actually researched it the other way!

Theoretically if a plane is included in a real traffic schedule, then there should be an associated livery in real color for that airport. As a result, I’m not sure this approach would provide much benefit. White planes are more of an issue when using custom schedules.

30 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Theoretically if a plane is included in a real traffic schedule, then there should be an associated livery in real color for that airport. As a result, I’m not sure this approach would provide much benefit. White planes are more of an issue when using custom schedules.

Looks like you missed the point
List all the possibilities with the existing "white planes"
Where there is a real colour, then it is YES
Everything else is NO
You can then determine if it is worth planning a real colour to convert NO to YES

I use this same principle for missing liveries in order to fill gaps, by purchasing just those airports

For example
B737-800 in airline A livery would be a NO, introduced 2019
However in Tower 3D it already has B737-700, so shows as a YES (but for an older airport pack)

Another in the XLS spreadsheet is LoganAir
This has gone from NO to YES

1 hour ago, MJKERR said:

An idea but If you want to create a massive spreadsheet covering all the main commercial aircraft and operators in the world and spend weeks doing it and then a huge amount of time keeping it up to date, fill your boots as I am not doing it! 😆

There would be hundreds and hundreds of NO's in the spreadsheet and I am sure Gabor will not release packs with hundreds of updates in them for what ultimately will be a  defunct game at some point in the future (some may say it is now!)

Also keep in mind one of the main control criteria's in this topic is aircraft that predominately associated/operated with released airports in the game. 

4 minutes ago, Pedantic G said:

An idea but If you want to create a massive spreadsheet covering all the main commercial aircraft and operators in the world and spend weeks doing it and then a huge amount of time keeping it up to date, fill your boots as I am not doing it!

Agreed, but be realisitic about the timescale
Start with major orders

I did the same when I recreated the real-time schedules for OMDB and EGLL, each took me a few days
Quite easily done for Airbus, Embraer, Boeing, and a few others
Those gaps can then be easily seen

I could probably work on a basic spreadsheet in December, you can then see what the missing liveries are

45 minutes ago, Pedantic G said:

Logan Air for EGLL for you

Logan Air did not operate in Summer 2018, but two others were missing
I can add the Malaysian A380 now, from another Real Colour airport
Not sure what the other is as my main computer has the spreadsheet that I use, but from memory it is another airline serving Terminal 4 at EGLL where the real colour is missing although the aircraft "white colour" is created

6 hours ago, MJKERR said:

Looks like you missed the point

To be honest, most of the time I miss your points.

List all the possibilities with the existing "white planes"

What is the golden data source that has all the possibilities (including airports other than EGLL)? 

Agreed, but be realisitic about the timescale
Start with major orders

You seem to be the man with the plan. I'm sure Pedantic "you must be crazy" G and 20+ others are looking forward to what you produce. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

All, to keep you all updated I have conversed with Gabor at @nyergesdesignand based on the results of the poll he has decided to move ahead with at least the first RC Update Pack and then review the requirement for interest.

Life is busy for me at present but as soon as time permits I will create a new posting with the updated list of liveries asked for to date, timeframes etc and also the mechanism for getting your further requests to me.

Many thanks

Gary

• Like 3
  • Haha 1