The simFlight Network Forums

Issue with setting up a shift mode on my VKB joystick

I'm using a VKB Gladiator NXT and VKB's own config software and FSUIPC in P3D V5. I set up a profile in their configurator to use one of the hat down switches as a shift button so the hat switch has double the number of functions available. However, FSUIPC is not finding these virtual buttons when I'm in shift mode and trying to assign them. P3D itself sees them just fine, so I'm assuming doing something wrong in FSUIPC. Any ideas where I should start?

1 hour ago, airbadger said:

I set up a profile in their configurator to use one of the hat down switches as a shift button so the hat switch has double the number of functions available.

Not sure I fully understand this...why would the hat switch have double the number of functions, especially as you are already holding down one of the hat switches, so how can you trigger the others?
Or do you mean that you are using a button (hat switch or otherwise) as a type of 'shift' key, and holding this down when you press another button triggers some sort of virtual button instead of the original button?

We usually don't recommend using other config software if assigning in FSUIPC. FSUIPC reads your device directly at a low level and probably won't see these 'virtual buttons'. To achieve something similar in FSUIPC, you can use the Compound Button functionality,  which allows you to specify actions for one button which are dependent on the state of another button (or switch). See the Advanced User guide for details (P22 in the FSUIPC6 manual).

29 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Or do you mean that you are using a button (hat switch or otherwise) as a type of 'shift' key, and holding this down when you press another button triggers some sort of virtual button instead of the original button?

Yes, but it's a shift set up so I that I don't have to hold it down. I will look at the compound button functionality. Strange that it's not low level enough for FSUIPC to read it, since the config app loads the profile directly into the joystick so you don't even need the app if you moved the joystick to another PC. 

1 hour ago, airbadger said:

Yes, but it's a shift set up so I that I don't have to hold it down. I will look at the compound button functionality.

Then use a flag for the compound condition, and set/clear the flag on your 'shift' button. This is also explained in the same section of the Advanced User guide.