The simFlight Network Forums

Tower!3D Pro user tip: Multiple pop-outs!

koohead

I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier but while reading through the wishlist yesterday, I realized that one could (assuming you have enough monitors and screen real estate) pop out multiple ADIRS , DBRITE, or even Strips windows.  For me, having multiple ADIRS windows zoomed in to certain areas that seem to have constant traffic and congestion saves a bunch of time. I have a zoomed in window on my departures runway so I can manage the queue there, and a couple windows in taxi/ramp intersections that often cause me problems.  This also helps me at WSSS where the runway orientation just doesn't work well on widescreen landscape monitors. Now I can have 2+ ADIRS windows zoomed in sufficiently where I can easily monitor and manage ground traffic.  Thx!

Assuming your system can handle it - it's definitely nice to have.

Keep in mind, though, that anytime you move focus off the main display to the ADIRS or another window the game clock slows down.  I haven't tested this on my new PC, but on my old laptop a minute of actual clock time was at best 56 seconds of game time. With focus on the ADIRS for an entire minute I've seen the game clock only advance 30-40 seconds.    

whaddya know. the game clock is slow... it's about 3 seconds off if I changed focus to one of the pop out ADIRS windows for 1 minute (I had 5 for this test).  so not seeing the drastic time difference you saw but obviously small sample size.  . will have to keep an eye out. thanks for mentioning it. 

I only did it a few times when I started playing, I did not catch the clock issue but that is quite interesting.  What I caught was a performance hit due to how the game is optimized.  My resolution width is 5760 which is fun for having plenty of room to see things but was rough on the FPS.  I think that was in SP2 or around that time frame so maybe things improved a bit with SP3...

I think I had a different GPU then as well.