The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4: Yoke 'disconnecting' from FSUIPC randomly

Thanks Morten, interesting article,  all my controllers are routed hrough a 7 port powered USB hub to avoid overloading the MB; only the mouse and keyboard dongles are in the board plus a single feed from the hub.  Its worked quite hard since 2011, so probably needs a new one.

32 minutes ago, viking88 said:

would it make any difference if I was to revert the 'AutoAssignLetters' entry to 'No' ?

No, as letters have now been assigned to your controllers - if you changed that back it just wouldn't assign letters to newly detected controllers, it wouldn't make any difference to your current set-up.
If you are not manually assigning letters, best to keep this set to 'Yes'.

John

John is there any way I can 'track' when the yoke becomes disconnected? 

I ask because there was no response from yoke today in either sim or FSUIPC, so I unplugged it from the powered USB2 hub and plugged it into a USB2 slot on front of PC; instantly back in both sim and FSUIPC.

So i plugged it back into the same slot on the powered USB2 hub and again working perfectly.  Then carried out same flight as yesterday when sometime during the flight it dropped out.  It worked perfectly.  Am going to clean all USB slots to make sure its not something silly like a dirty connection.

Thats the advantage of a powered hub under the edge of the desk - you dont have to heave the PC about to get at connections on the back!

Mike

27 minutes ago, viking88 said:

John is there any way I can 'track' when the yoke becomes disconnected? 

You could try the HidScanner utility, available here: 

28 minutes ago, viking88 said:

I ask because there was no response from yoke today in either sim or FSUIPC, so I unplugged it from the powered USB2 hub and plugged it into a USB2 slot on front of PC; instantly back in both sim and FSUIPC.

Then that would confirm it is a problem with your hub.

29 minutes ago, viking88 said:

Thats the advantage of a powered hub under the edge of the desk - you dont have to heave the PC about to get at connections on the back!

I agree and also use powered hubs, but make sure that the hub has enough power for all the attached devices.

The problem was poor connections - cleaned them and ran it for 6 hours with no problem.

I dont know Morten, but you seem to be fixed with the idea there is only one kind of USB hub? 

There are un-powered hubs - which rely on power from the PC and if there is not enough the PC 'Power sheds' causing dropouts; hence the idea of a PCI card, but that still takes power from the PC power supply and motherboard.  Plus all the connections are on the back of the PC so you have to keep heaving it out to get at them.

The type I use (and a lot of others) is an indepentently powered USB Hub and is located very conveniently under the edge of the desk, so connections can be made/moved very easily. It demands very little power from the PC and provides pretty much purely data throgh a single cable to the PC.

This has worked very well for me for about the last 15 years, so I have no intention of throwing money at something I do not think an advance.

Its very kind of you to take time and trouble over this, but could we just leave it now please?

Many thanks and good luck with whatever system you choose,

Take care

Mike

Hi Mike

Good that things has worked out for you now!
However I'm not "fixed with the idea there is only one kind of USB hub". Don't know where you got that impression from..?
I've had both non powered as well as powered USB hubs through the years and my personal experience haven't been good with any of them as they tend to cause instability with devices randomly falling out as in your case until now where you seemed to have worked things out - at least for the time being.
However it is not unusual that providers of USB managed devices advises against USB hubs with their products for the same reason as I have experienced. So in other words, it's not a postulate that I'm eventing here for the occasion! 

That's all from me, and again, I'm glad that it seems to work for you now! 

/Morten