The simFlight Network Forums

Trim wheel reversed

Ron Attwood

Odd one this. I use the Saitek trim wheel. Always have, always will. From FXS onwards FSUIPC has always recognises it. Indeed it does now for MSFS.

However.

For the Just Flight Arrows and their Hawk, the wheel is reversed. Nose up is now nose down. (Keep reading) This is ONLY JF models. EVERYTHING else works properly.

I've been on to Just Flight and got nowhere, although Mark was as helpful as he could be.

The options I have is to check the 'Reverse Axis' box in FSUIPC and change back for ANY other aircraft. (PITA) Make a profile for Arrows based on etc. and one for Hawks based on something else *sigh*

Or

Horror of horror, use MSFS to assign ONLY the trimwheel. Which is what I'm doing at the moment.

Still here? 🙂

The question is, is there something different that Just Flight are doing that prevents them from seeing FSUIPC control. They say they use the trimwheel but use MSFS to assign it.

This is just on the off chance you have Arrows etc and have come across this.

Cheers, Ron

Hi Ron,

15 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

The options I have is to check the 'Reverse Axis' box in FSUIPC and change back for ANY other aircraft. (PITA) Make a profile for Arrows based on etc. and one for Hawks based on something else *sigh*

Why don't you just create a profile-specific calibration for the Arrow and reverse it there? You don't need to use profiles for anything else if you don't want to.
But there is no issue with creating profiles. In fact, its a good idea to use profiles for most MSFS aircraft, especially add-ons, as there are many controls that can only be accessed via lvars or hvars, and as these are profile specific it is always better to use these in a profile.

I do have the JF Arrow but have not noticed this issue. I have assigned to the Bravo trim wheel, which uses buttons, so I have assigned to the trim offset for both fast/slow increments and decrements. I don't assign to the elevator trim axis so haven't noticed this issue.

If interested, I shared my Bravo assignments (including trim wheel) in this post: 

Cheers,

John

On 12/4/2021 at 2:34 PM, John Dowson said:

I have assigned to the Bravo trim wheel, which uses buttons,

I forgot to mention I use the Saitek Trim Wheel which uses an axis. That may well be the issue. Beats me. I'll put it down to another SDK restriction or some such. Thanks for answering though.

Cheers, Ron

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I forgot to mention I use the Saitek Trim Wheel which uses an axis. That may well be the issue. Beats me. I'll put it down to another SDK restriction or some such.

But using an axis is fine. Just reverse it in a profile specific calibration for the JF Arrow. Why don't you just try that?

John

It's not a worry per se, more of a 'this is very odd' The strange thing about the Saitek wheel is, it's not automatically recognised by Windows. You have to rotate the wheel to get a USB 'bing bong' 🙂 There's a gremlin in there somewhere and I'm not qualified to find it.

John, don't fuss yourself about it. I fondly believed you'd say 'Ah yes, we know about this'.

You're not a God after all. 🙄

1 minute ago, Ron Attwood said:

it's not automatically recognised by Windows. You have to rotate the wheel to get a USB 'bing bong' 🙂 There's a gremlin in there somewhere and I'm not qualified to find it.

Strange - maybe check the power management settings on your USB hubs...

I will check to see if I get the same behavior, just out of interest. I don't think it can be related to your actual trim wheel, more to do with the JF Arrow I would think...

John