The simFlight Network Forums

Tiller axis not sensitive enough. Slope already at maximum

737Andi

Hi,

I would like to increase the sensitivity of my tiller axis for the PMDG 737 NGXu under Prepar3d. The joystick axis is correctly configured under FSUIPC/Windows 10 and the slope is already set to +15 which is maximum. 

Is there any trick I could do to get more sensitivity?

Thanks!

Best regards Andi 

10 hours ago, 737Andi said:

I would like to increase the sensitivity of my tiller axis for the PMDG 737 NGXu under Prepar3d. The joystick axis is correctly configured under FSUIPC/Windows 10 and the slope is already set to +15 which is maximum. 

Is there any trick I could do to get more sensitivity?

For more sensitivity (around the centre) you need a negative slope, not a positive one. Or do yo mean that you would like it to be less sensitive, i.e. the same axis movement to move the tiller less?

Only the slope functionality is available to adjust the sensitivity of an axis. If you require more extreme calibration, you would have to write a lua script to control your axis where you can calibrate as you wish.

John

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

For more sensitivity (around the centre) you need a negative slope, not a positive one. Or do yo mean that you would like it to be less sensitive, i.e. the same axis movement to move the tiller less?

Only the slope functionality is available to adjust the sensitivity of an axis. If you require more extreme calibration, you would have to write a lua script to control your axis where you can calibrate as you wish.

John

Hi John,

sorry..in this case I meant -15 then. But you are right. The slope does not increase the end sensitivity.

How would your proposal with the lua script work? 

Thank you!

Best regards Andi 

1 minute ago, 737Andi said:

How would your proposal with the lua script work? 

You would write the axis value to an FSUIPC offset (send to FSUIPC offset) and use event.offset to get the axis value each time it changed, apply whatever calibration you require to that value, and then send it to the sim. I recently provided a similar lua script to handle the throttle for a specific use case which you could look at and adapt if you want to go down this route. See 

John

Hi John,

thanks for your reply!

I read through the other thread and also tried to understand the lua script, but since I'm no programmer not everything was really clear to me 😞
I suppose my script would be a bit easier since I only want to add a multiplication factor to the axis steering set (tiller axis) value that I can currently achieve with my hardware. If the script would also allow for a slope function this would be cool but I think it makes things more complicated and should not be necessary.

It would be awesome if you could help me a bit here by writing such a lua script.
Or if you find the time to write it for me I would be very thankful! 

Thanks a lot!

Best regards Andi

4 hours ago, 737Andi said:

I suppose my script would be a bit easier since I only want to add a multiplication factor to the axis steering set (tiller axis) value that I can currently achieve with my hardware. I

Yes, should be simpler.

4 hours ago, 737Andi said:

It would be awesome if you could help me a bit here by writing such a lua script.
Or if you find the time to write it for me I would be very thankful! 

I'm not going to write it for you, but if you try I will help. The control number for the STEERING SET control is 66818 - use that control number.
You just need one event.offset call, e.g.
    event.offset(tillerAxisOffset, "SD", "tillerAxisChange")
and your handling function (defined before the event.offset)::
    function tillerAxisChange(offset, value)
        // calibrate your value here
        tillerValueCalibrated = ...
        ipc.control(66818 , tillerValueCalibrated )
     end

But, before you try that, you could try just reducing the axis range by adding null sections to the left and right. Doing this, the axis would send the full range in the centre section (between the null zones), and so a shorter axis section sends the full range, and thus the axis is more sensitive (and the extremes of your axis, the null zines, would have no affect). To do this, use the calibration page and the 'Set' buttons on the tiller axis with your axis control in the left and right positions where you want to set the max/min movement. If you combine this with a slope, you may achieve a sensitivity that works for you without lua.

John 

Great thanks. I will try it out tomorrow. Hopefully the non lua solution works because I have to admit that I do unfortunately not understand about 50% what you have written regarding the lua script 😞

I will report back if it worked. Have a nice evening!

On 2/24/2022 at 11:46 AM, John Dowson said:

But, before you try that, you could try just reducing the axis range by adding null sections to the left and right.

Is that something you do in FSUIPC7, or in the sim? If in FSUIPC7 I don't understand how to do that.

In contrast to the above, I find the Tiller axis too sensitive, even with a slope of 15   -- it is hard to keep a/c on the center line. If on the calibration tab for the Tiller axis I set the axis extremes at - 8192 and +8192, would that further desensitize the Tiller axis?

Thx,

Al

6 hours ago, ark1320 said:

Is that something you do in FSUIPC7, or in the sim? If in FSUIPC7 I don't understand how to do that.

In contrast to the above, I find the Tiller axis too sensitive, even with a slope of 15   -- it is hard to keep a/c on the center line. If on the calibration tab for the Tiller axis I set the axis extremes at - 8192 and +8192, would that further desensitize the Tiller axis?

Yes - you do that in FSUIPC7, and that is also how you do it.

John