The simFlight Network Forums

Autobrake for PMDG 737 under MSFS

737Andi

On 5/14/2022 at 2:28 AM, 737Andi said:

is there already the possibility to assign Autobrake RTO, OFF, 1,2,3,4 via FSUIPC to a rotary switch?

Not 100% sure as I don't have this aircraft, but I suspect that there will be PMDG custom controls for this, using specific parameters for the Rotor Brake control.
If you are not familiar with PMDG custom controls, see the following FAQ entry:

John

Let me jump in this topic with a similar question:  I'm looking for a solution for Speedbrake (spoilers) activation and use of speedbrakes . Momentarily it seem the speedbrakes can only toggled between full and retracted. Activation works only with mouse, Its cumbersome if you are in a hurry in the final. I would have placed this essentials on my Thrustmuster stick (Trim, Speedbrakes, Flaps, activation of Speedbrakes).

Bernhard

3 hours ago, bravolima said:

Let me jump in this topic with a similar question:  I'm looking for a solution for Speedbrake (spoilers) activation and use of speedbrakes . Momentarily it seem the speedbrakes can only toggled between full and retracted. Activation works only with mouse, Its cumbersome if you are in a hurry in the final.

Did you try logging (events) to see if anything is logged when you activate the speedbrakes in the UI? Also, check to see if there are any lvars available for this.
Also keep an eye on the available MF presets for this aircraft (https://hubhop.mobiflight.com/) - I can't see any at the moment, but this is the community resource where such things are added and made available when found.

Note the preset list (events.txt) installed in your FSUIPC7 folder is most probably out-of-date and will not contain any of the PMFG 737 presets. I have attached the latest one below - use this to replace the one in your FSUIPC7 installation folder.

John

events.txt

maybe that can help  (not tested yet) :

PMDG_B737-7_AUTOBRAKE_INC#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
PMDG_B737-7_AUTOBRAKE_DEC#46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

then if you want to read the actual autobrake setting , use this LVAR  (L:switch_460_73X, number)

ps: you can find more info in the included file : ...\pmdg-aircraft-737\Documentation\PMDG\PMDG_NG3_VC_700.xml

On 5/18/2022 at 12:11 AM, adnanso said:

just tried it, it does work but the knob movement was inverted, the correct labeling would be :

PMDG_B737-7_AUTOBRAKE_DEC#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
PMDG_B737-7_AUTOBRAKE_INC#46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

Thanks for your reply and for testing it out 🙂

I assume I will only be able to increase or decrease the Autobrake rotary this way but it will not be possible to set a specific autobrake value like "2" or "RTO", correct?

Or is there a workaround? Maybe decreasing it by 6 increments each time and then increase it "1" time for RTO, 2 times for "OFF", 3 times for "1" and so on.

1 hour ago, 737Andi said:

I assume I will only be able to increase or decrease the Autobrake rotary this way but it will not be possible to set a specific autobrake value like "2" or "RTO", correct?

Yes. However, there may be other controls that set the value, rather than in or dec. However, if this is a rotary switch that goes through a distinct value set, then it is usual (for UI-oriented controls) to only duplicate this behavior. There may be other controls to set the value (or maybe an lvar), but using those may not trigger the associated UI animation.

Or is there a workaround? Maybe decreasing it by 6 increments each time and then increase it "1" time for RTO, 2 times for "OFF", 3 times for "1" and so on.

You could write a lua script to do this, but you would need something that holds the current state of the switch (maybe an lvar?) to determine how many inc/dec controls need to be sent.

I'm unfortunately not familiar with lua scripts 😞

Is there the possibility to assign several actions to be performed when the rotary is set to one specific position?

E.g. rotary to second position and FSUIPC does the following commands:

6 times....

2 times

PMDG_B737-7_AUTOBRAKE_INC#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

I have heard somewhere that you can do multiple actions by editing the FSUIPC ini file.

Thank you!

Best regards Andi 

Is there the possibility to assign several actions to be performed when the rotary is set to one specific position?

You can have multiple assignments to a button by manual editing the ini file. However, if you do this they will always be applied, regardless of the rotary position.
Is there an lvar that you can use to determine the current rotary position? If so, you could add that to an offset and use that to determine the current rotary position, but O don't think this would work that well as the update of the lvar value will be a lot slower than the the check on this for the assignments.

E.g. rotary to second position and FSUIPC does the following commands:

6 times....

2 times

PMDG_B737-7_AUTOBRAKE_INC#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

This seems strange, as if you are decreasing 6 times, and then increasing twice, isn't that the same as decreasing 4 times? BUT. lookig at the calc code for those 2 presets. they are the same....shouldn't the inc one use 46002?

But you can do this by adding your own preset (to the myevents.txt file) that does this, e.g.

PMDG_B737_AUTOBRAKE_MULTIPLE#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

You could then (possibly) add an offset condition , if the current state of the switch is available in an lvar then you can add that to an offset and use that, and then overload the assignment to call the correct number if inc/decs depending on the current position.

But its probably to do this in lua....

John

I always peak in the LINDA cfg options.lua by ScotFlieger
shows ways to do this
(which myself I simplify or have VoiceAttack do the if-state-then for a execution) but this is full proper lua:

-- ## Auto Brake

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_inc ()
    if ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X") < 50 then
        ipc.control(PMDG_EVT, 46007)
    end
    PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_show ()
end

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_dec ()
    if ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X") > 0 then
        ipc.control(PMDG_EVT, 46008)
    end
end

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_cycle ()
    if ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X") < 50 then
        ipc.control(PMDG_EVT, 46007)
    else
        PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_RTO ()
    end
end

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_RTO ()
    if ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X") ~= 0 then
        PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_move (0)
    end
    DspShow ("ABRK", "RTO", "AutoBrk", "RTO")
end

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_OFF ()
    if ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X") ~= 10 then
        PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_move (1)
    end
    DspShow ("ABRK", "off", "AutoBrk", "off")
end

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_1 ()
    if ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X") ~= 20 then
        PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_move (2)
    end
    DspShow ("ABRK", "1", "AutoBrk", "1")
end

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_2 ()
    if ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X") ~= 30 then
        PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_move (3)
    end
    DspShow ("ABRK", "2", "AutoBrk", "2")
end

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_3 ()
    if ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X") ~= 40 then
        PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_move (4)
    end
    DspShow ("ABRK", "3", "AutoBrk", "3")
end

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_MAX ()
    if ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X") ~= 50 then
        PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_move (5)
    end
    DspShow ("ABRK", "MAX", "AutoBrk", "MAX")
end

BTW

PMDG_EVT = 66587

which is the standard MSFS 'rotor brake' where PMDG puts its controls in the parameter of

26 minutes ago, mtjoeng said:

I always peak in the LINDA cfg options.lua by ScotFlieger shows ways to do this
(which myself I simplify or have VoiceAttack do the if-state-then for a execution) but this is full proper lua:

That is interesting, thanks! I keep forgetting Andrew has released his module for the MSFS PMDG 737. But that script/extract is also missing the functions
     PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_move(numberOfpositions)
- as well as the definition of the PMDG_EVT....Can you show those - as well as any other dependent functions. You always have to be careful extracting lua scripts from LINDA as there can be many dependencies, but it is a good reference to check how things work / what is available.

@737AndiYou could try using LINDA if you are not familiar with lua. Or you could add the lvar L:switch_460_73X (which golds the current switch position) to an offset, and then use that as an offset condition for overloaded preset assignments...

34 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

You can have multiple assignments to a button by manual editing the ini file. However, if you do this they will always be applied, regardless of the rotary position.
Is there an lvar that you can use to determine the current rotary position? If so, you could add that to an offset and use that to determine the current rotary position, but O don't think this would work that well as the update of the lvar value will be a lot slower than the the check on this for the assignments.

This seems strange, as if you are decreasing 6 times, and then increasing twice, isn't that the same as decreasing 4 times? BUT. lookig at the calc code for those 2 presets. they are the same....shouldn't the inc one use 46002?

But you can do this by adding your own preset (to the myevents.txt file) that does this, e.g.

PMDG_B737_AUTOBRAKE_MULTIPLE#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

You could then (possibly) add an offset condition , if the current state of the switch is available in an lvar then you can add that to an offset and use that, and then overload the assignment to call the correct number if inc/decs depending on the current position.

But its probably to do this in lua....

John

My idea was to simply ignore the current rotary position by going to decrease as much as possible (6 times should be enough but I could also do 10 times or more). This way I can be sure that the rotary is at RTO each time before I do the defined increase step afterwards.

Would that work?

19 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

But that script/extract is also missing the functions
     PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_move(numberOfpositions)

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_show ()
ipc.sleep(200)
local Abtxt
local ABpos = ipc.readLvar('switch_460_73X')

if ABpos == 0 then Abtxt ="rto"
    elseif ABpos == 10 then Abtxt = "off"
    elseif ABpos == 20 then Abtxt = "1"
    elseif ABpos == 30 then Abtxt = "2"
    elseif ABpos == 40 then Abtxt = "3"
    elseif ABpos == 50 then Abtxt = "max"
    end
    DspShow ("ABRK", Abtxt, "AutoBrk", Abtxt)
end

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_move (ABsel)
if ABsel == nil then return end
local ABpos = ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X")/10
    if ABpos > ABsel then
        for i = 1, (ABpos - ABsel), 1 do
            ipc.sleep(150)
            PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_dec ()
        end
    elseif ABpos < ABsel then
        for i = 1, (ABsel - ABpos), 1 do
            ipc.sleep(150)
            PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_inc ()
        end
    end
end

PMDG_EVT =      66587
is simply the standard msfs Rotor Brake control

attached full file (still missing HUD controls, no one knows)

LINDA PMDG actions.lua

19 minutes ago, 737Andi said:

My idea was to simply ignore the current rotary position by going to decrease as much as possible (6 times should be enough but I could also do 10 times or more). This way I can be sure that the rotary is at RTO each time before I do the defined increase step afterwards.

Would that work?

Maybe, why not just try that as a preset, like the one I showed?
But it would be better to use lua and do it properly, although it probably doesn't matter....whatever works for you really!

Thanks @mtjoeng!

John

1 minute ago, mtjoeng said:

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_show ()
ipc.sleep(200)
local Abtxt
local ABpos = ipc.readLvar('switch_460_73X')

if ABpos == 0 then Abtxt ="rto"
    elseif ABpos == 10 then Abtxt = "off"
    elseif ABpos == 20 then Abtxt = "1"
    elseif ABpos == 30 then Abtxt = "2"
    elseif ABpos == 40 then Abtxt = "3"
    elseif ABpos == 50 then Abtxt = "max"
    end
    DspShow ("ABRK", Abtxt, "AutoBrk", Abtxt)
end

function PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_move (ABsel)
if ABsel == nil then return end
local ABpos = ipc.readLvar("L:switch_460_73X")/10
    if ABpos > ABsel then
        for i = 1, (ABpos - ABsel), 1 do
            ipc.sleep(150)
            PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_dec ()
        end
    elseif ABpos < ABsel then
        for i = 1, (ABsel - ABpos), 1 do
            ipc.sleep(150)
            PMDG_MPNL_AUTOBRAKE_inc ()
        end
    end
end

PMDG_EVT =      66587
is simply the standard msfs Rotor Brake control

attached full file (still missing HUD controls, no one knows)

LINDA PMDG actions.lua 189.77 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, thanks for your replies. I'm not that familiar with programming and scripting so I'm very unsure how this will work and what I need to do now.

I have a 6 position hardware rotary knob, where all 6 positions can be individually assigned.

So if I put this lua file in my modules folder, have it automatically loaded via an entry in the FSUIPC.ini under [Auto] section and assign it to each position of my hardware rotary as .lua script it will work?

Sorry. I fear there is a long way for me to go. 

18 minutes ago, 737Andi said:

My idea was to simply ignore the current rotary position by going to decrease as much as possible

That's how i do things :). Of course you can.
Depending on the state of your startup, mine is 'ready 'TAXI'' and has the autobrake in RTO, so my Voice command then when wheels off ground at the "positive rate" callout is, 'Autobrake off', that simply rotates 1 increase Up.

VoiceAttack can also do a 'condition' which "0" is set at my flight start, so RTO would be this 0, Off would be 1, and calculates how many steps off the given condition are needed to get to the new position and make sure to assign the new condition for after.

29 minutes ago, 737Andi said:

So if I put this lua file in my modules folder, have it automatically loaded via an entry in the FSUIPC.ini under [Auto] section and assign it to each position of my hardware rotary as .lua script it will work?

You'd better ask John, I'm a cut and paste programmer 🙂

But basically the easiest format would be I saw somewhere else, indeed put the code in a 'pmdgautobrake.lua' file but then you need to add code that does the PDMG thing, use the <pmdgautobrake> parameter block to hop to the desired action.
When 'pmdgautobrake.lua' is a recognizable macro file, with <pmdgautobrake> as the named macro you should find in the fsuipc dropdown, and then create the parameter list that reads the state first from a LVar (as per the example here), and then executes the necessary stops by control values.

It's not easy, at all, but a lot easier if you know how it works, you start by dissecting sample files (ask John 🙂.

I tried it with these presets..I assigned them to the different switch positions via fs control and Parameter "1".

Unfortunately it did not work 😞

Any idea what Ive done wrong?

//PMDG737/Autobrake
PMDG_B737_AUTOBRAKE_RTO#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
PMDG_B737_AUTOBRAKE_OFF#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
PMDG_B737_AUTOBRAKE_1#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
PMDG_B737_AUTOBRAKE_2#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
PMDG_B737_AUTOBRAKE_3#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
PMDG_B737_AUTOBRAKE_MAX#46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46001 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) 46002 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

56 minutes ago, 737Andi said:

I tried it with these presets..I assigned them to the different switch positions via fs control and Parameter "1".

Unfortunately it did not work

What is your 'rotary' switch? Part of a button box, otherwise on a joystick?
Use LINDA plug and play for windows devices.
Install LINDA 4.1.4a
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/583434-linda-414a-msfs-2020-compatible-4-mar-2022/
it will install linda.exe in your FSuipc folder

Download and copy the folders of Beta PMDG 737 for MSFS v0.3 (17 May 2022) so these PMDG definitions are added to the LINDA subfolders
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/618937-beta-pmdg-737-for-msfs-v03-17-may-2022/

Run LINDA after FSuipc is loaded, check joysticks LINDA found at first run, check if install is OK, go to your 'rotary' device, if you rotate, the interface will point to the action spots for Up and Down, now define the action in this case AUTOBRAKE, by clicking the interface action spot of the rotary, scroll PDMG module function, scroll down choose Autobrake, choose from the list of option Autobrake i.c. Increase, Autobrake Decrease etc, if you have spare buttons these can be dedicated selections (1 2 3 Max)
This is the easiest.

15 hours ago, 737Andi said:

No. If the lua is auto-running, why assign a button to start it? You cannot assign a button to a function in a lua script.
To use the lua, you need to add some event.button calls which would call the appropriate lua function when one of your rotary buttons was detected.
I have put together a script for you to try this - download to your FSUIPC7 installation folder and change the following variables to match your hardware:

--
-- Change the following to match your joysyick and button numbers
--
local myJoynum = 0 
local myRtoButton = 0
local myOffButton = 0
local my1Button = 0
local my2Button = 0
local my3Button = 0
local myMaxButton = 0

The script should be auto-started, preferably from a PMDG profile section: PMDGAutoBrake.lua

(NB. script not tested as I don't have this aircraft!]

11 hours ago, 737Andi said:

Unfortunately it did not work 😞

What happened? Did you look at the log or try logging *Buttons & Keys + Events) to see what is happening? There is no point just saying 'it doesn't work'...
Also, if writing your own presets, you should test the calculator code first using the Add-ons->WASM->Execute Calculator Code menu option, to check that it has the desired affect.

Otherwise you could follow the advice of @mtjoeng and install LINDA...

Edited by John Dowson
typo in script corrected

6 hours ago, John Dowson said:

--
-- Change the following to match your joysyick and button numbers
--
local myJoynum = 0 
local myRtoButton = 0
local myOffButton = 0
local my1Button = 0
local my2Button = 0
local my3Button = 0
local myMaxButton = 0

I think a 0-state read is missing in the latest LINDA file at the moment, only inc dec work (I notified on the forum)

7 hours ago, John Dowson said:

No. If the lua is auto-running, why assign a button to start it? You cannot assign a button to a function in a lua script.
To use the lua, you need to add some event.button calls which would call the appropriate lua function when one of your rotary buttons was detected.
I have put together a script for you to try this - download to your FSUIPC7 installation folder and change the following variables to match your hardware:

The script should be auto-started, preferably from a PMDG profile section: PMDGAutoBrake.lua

(NB. script not tested as I don't have this aircraft!]

What happened? Did you look at the log or try logging *Buttons & Keys + Events) to see what is happening? There is no point just saying 'it doesn't work'...
Also, if writing your own presets, you should test the calculator code first using the Add-ons->WASM->Execute Calculator Code menu option, to check that it has the desired affect.

Otherwise you could follow the advice of @mtjoeng and install LINDA...

Hello John, I tried with the PMDGAutoBrake.lua you provided, can't seem to make it to work. This is what I'm doing. Copy the .lua to FSUIPC install folder, edit it by replacing myJoynum with A (which is the letter shown when I press the button I wish to assign in fsuipc with running sim), replace myRtoButton with 30, myOffButton with 31, etc. Then look for the PMDGAutoBrake.lua from Select for FS Control ticked and find it in "control sent when button pressed" section. But the rotary switch I use is not responding to that. What am I doing wrong here? Thx.