The simFlight Network Forums

Duplicate entries in [JoyNames]

Dave Morgan

I just recently purchased FSUIPC7 (I was also an avid user in the 4.x days, but I haven't been doing flight sim again until now).  I'm having an odd issue and could use some help.  I'm getting duplicate entries in the [JoyNames] section of the fsuipc.ini file.  To test it, I deleted the ini file and ran MSFS again.  Immediately after that (without doing anything else), this is what my [JoyNames] section looks like:

[JoyNames]
0=Flight Rudder Pedals
0.GUID={18D27450-CA51-11EC-8006-444553540000}
1=3Dconnexion KMJ Emulator
1.GUID={316C21A0-BA0E-11EA-8009-444553540000}
2=LEFT VPC Throttle MT-50CM3
2.GUID={24B62590-D6BE-11EC-8004-444553540000}
3=RIGHT VPC Stick MT-50CM2
3.GUID={EC16CBD0-D6BE-11EC-8008-444553540000}
4=F16 MFD 1
4.GUID={09885E40-CBD4-11EC-8008-444553540000}
A=Flight Rudder Pedals
A.GUID={18D27450-CA51-11EC-8006-444553540000}
B=3Dconnexion KMJ Emulator
B.GUID={316C21A0-BA0E-11EA-8009-444553540000}
C=LEFT VPC Throttle MT-50CM3
C.GUID={24B62590-D6BE-11EC-8004-444553540000}
D=RIGHT VPC Stick MT-50CM2
D.GUID={EC16CBD0-D6BE-11EC-8008-444553540000}
E=F16 MFD 1
E.GUID={09885E40-CBD4-11EC-8008-444553540000}

I'm also having troubles getting AutoAssignLetters=No to cooperate (I set that option but additional copies of each device get added to [JoyNames] with the letters originally chosen by the app), but one thing at a time.  In looking at the console output at startup, it's correctly detecting only one instance of each device.

This is a registered copy that I purchased about one week ago.  I've tried it with various different aircraft including both stock and add-on with the same results.   I've attached the log, joyscan, and ini files.  Let me know if you need anything else.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.JoyScan.csv

6 hours ago, Dave Morgan said:

this is what my [JoyNames] section looks like:

That looks correct to me... you have 5 controllers, and each is shown with its windows assigned joy id and its FSUIPC assigned joy letter. FSUIPC uses the jou letter for your assignments, and uses that section to map the windows assigned id to the joy letter, which prevents issues that can occur if your joy ids change.

6 hours ago, Dave Morgan said:

I'm also having troubles getting AutoAssignLetters=No to cooperate

But why do you want to do this? You should really leave this as-is unless you want to assign your own letters. But if you want to do this. the AutoAssignLetters ini parameter goes under the [JoyNames] section, not under the [General] section. From the User guide (page 20):

The “Joy Letters” facility is now activated by default in FSUIPC7, and so letters will be automatically assigned to your
devices. If you wish to assign the letters manually, you can change the ini parameter
AutoAssignLetters,value, located
in the
[JoyNames]section, to No
and read on. Otherwise you can skip this section.

John

Thanks for the reply John.  I must be missing something, but I'm confused why each controller appears to be listed twice.  For example:

0=Flight Rudder Pedals
A=Flight Rudder Pedals

I'm guessing that the numbered entries will stay around even if I assign my own letters, but it was confusing me for a bit.

And I wanted to assign my own letters just to make it easier to track button assignments (when I used FSUIPC in the past, I had MANY assignments, and having custom letters made it easier to manage things when manually editing the ini file).  And (unlike many people it seems ;-) ) I've actually read both the entire user guide and advanced user guide several times.  Lots of good stuff in those!

So I did try adding AutoAssignLetters=No in the [JoyNames] section but it appeared to be misbehaving (the reason you didn't see that in the ini file I attached is that I intentionally created a new very basic one to keep from muddying the waters on the letters issue I posted).  I'll do a test on that after work today, and if it's still acting odd, I'll do another post with what I find.

Just now, Dave Morgan said:

Thanks for the reply John.  I must be missing something, but I'm confused why each controller appears to be listed twice.  For example:

0=Flight Rudder Pedals
A=Flight Rudder Pedals

As I said, one is for the joy id, and one id for the joy letter. Both are needed to perform the mapping between letter and id.

2 minutes ago, Dave Morgan said:

I'm guessing that the numbered entries will stay around even if I assign my own letters, but it was confusing me for a bit.

Yes, they are needed for the mapping. If you want to assign your own letters, you would change the numbers to letters, and on the next run the entries with the numbers/joy ids would be added back.

4 minutes ago, Dave Morgan said:

So I did try adding AutoAssignLetters=No in the [JoyNames] section but it appeared to be misbehaving (the reason you didn't see that in the ini file I attached is that I intentionally created a new very basic one to keep from muddying the waters on the letters issue I posted).  I'll do a test on that after work today, and if it's still acting odd, I'll do another post with what I find.

To assign your own letters, there is no point setting that ini parameter back to No now. As this currently defaults to yes, you can just change the letters that have been assigned. You can add AutoAssignLetters=No in the [JoyNames] section, which will prevent letters to being assigned to new devices.

If you are changing the letters and already have assignments to those letters, you also need to update your assignments to use those new letters.

18 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Yes, they are needed for the mapping. If you want to assign your own letters, you would change the numbers to letters, and on the next run the entries with the numbers/joy ids would be added back.

I think this explains what I was seeing.  And full disclosure time.  Being the IT guy that I am, I actually have a Bitbucket repo for flight sim stuff from the past.  I just went back and looked at the old fsuipc4.ini file, and sure enough both the number and letter versions were there.  Memory fades after a number of years. 😉 Thanks for the help!