The simFlight Network Forums

How to assign Win+Y to a button

NAX

To be able to change between vPilot and sim, I need to press Win+Y. Tried assigning it as a buttom press, but FSUIPS do not seem to detect the Win button at all.

I cannot find a way to change the WMR shortcut to something else, so I'm kinda stuck and out of ideas.

Any help appriciated

Use of the win key causes issues as it is reserved for use by windows. You cannot currently use this as a modifier for assigning key presses to buttons (or in key assignments).
I surprised you need win+Y for this - according to the Microsoft documentation (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/keyboard-shortcuts-in-windows-dcc61a57-8ff0-cffe-9796-cb9706c75eec), that is:

Windows logo key  + Y

Switch input between Windows Mixed Reality and your desktop.

You should be able to change this in windows, most probably with a registry edit. Try google...
I could possibly allow this as a modifier for button assignments to key presses - I will check this.

John

I've looked into this further and I don't think this is going to be possible...
The problem with the win key shortcuts is that windows interprets them first and if there is a windows assignment then that is performed and the key press used is not passed on to FSUIPC, so it is not possible to assign a button press to this key press combination. However, you can assign to win+? key presses if there is no windows assignment to such a key press - but then, what is the point?

However, it may be possible by assigning to the FSUIPC control Key Press & Release. I've just realized that I haven't updated these yet to use the updated shifts to handle the left/right modifiers for the shift, alt and control keys. I will look into and correct this, hopefully next week, and see if I can add another shift code there to allow the win key to be used as a modifier using that control (as well as the individual press/release controls).

3 hours ago, John Dowson said:

However, it may be possible by assigning to the FSUIPC control Key Press & Release. I've just realized that I haven't updated these yet to use the updated shifts to handle the left/right modifiers for the shift, alt and control keys. I will look into and correct this, hopefully next week, and see if I can add another shift code there to allow the win key to be used as a modifier using that control (as well as the individual press/release controls).

I've updated this now and have also allowed for use of the win key with the FSUIPC-added controls for sending keys. I'll test tomorrow, and if all is ok I will release this at the weekend (Sunday).

John

@NAX I have put together a pre-release if you would like to try it - available from:
            http://www.fsuipc.com/download/Install_FSUIPC735.zip

- copy and paste that link into a new browser tab to download as clicking (probably) it won't work

To send Win+Y, assign your button to Key Press and Release with a parameter of 89+512 (where 89 is the virtual key code for the Y key, and 512 is the shifts code for the Win key).

This will hopefully be the same version I will be releasing on Sunday 29th, although I will update the MF events.txt file again before release.

John

I only get to assign it as Y, but I might type the wrong syntax.

Adding +512 after 89 will not stick when ini is saved, so i only get 89 working.
Reading advanced manuals now to try to sort it out.

EDIT: it's a comma, not a plus...  okidoki

adding the line:

1=PH,28,K89,512,8

When trying the button in FSUIPC it turnes up as rctrl+y.

Cannot get it to work with the 512 command. It acts like the 128 shift-command

16 minutes ago, NAX said:

adding the line:

1=PH,28,K89,512,8

What is this? As I said, you have to assign to the Key Press & Release control, right hand side of the assignments dialog, not send as a keypress on the left. That cannot be used as windows hijacks the key press and it won't register.

I'll let you think about it. Sorry for not getting the part with Key press. I actually tried that first without result, then I went to Buttons and only assigned Y to get the line in the .ini, then adding the <SHIFT> value after K89.

I'll look for your release and read carefully about the added functionality.

Have a nice weekend

1 minute ago, NAX said:

I actually tried that first without result,

Really? You should show me what you tried...I need to see your FSUIPC7.ini and an FSUIPC7.log file with Buttons & Keys logging activated. It should be sending the assigned key press if done properly, as in the screenshot I posted (but using 89+512, as indicated. If that is not working I would like to understand why...

4 minutes ago, NAX said:

I'll look for your release and read carefully about the added functionality.

But there may be no change...you should test this now, before I release, if you want this working...

5 minutes ago, NAX said:

image.png.37135b5827ea16d681e9c11902fb1a58.png

No idea what this is supposed to mean...

50 minutes ago, NAX said:

Bare in mind the Parameter needed to be 89+512, not 82+512.

Of course - I used 82 (R) so that I could test with Win+R that opens the windows 'run' command window -  I did tell you this earlier on:

On 5/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, John Dowson said:

To send Win+Y, assign your button to Key Press and Release with a parameter of 89+512 (where 89 is the virtual key code for the Y key, and 512 is the shifts code for the Win key).

Anyway, glad you finally figured it out.