The simFlight Network Forums

WideClient

I have just downloaded the latest WideClient/FSUIPC, and registered both, together with the latest project magenta updates. On my server computor and activating WideClient.exe I get the message "WideClient Error- failed to star client". Both LAN icons on the two task bars show that the network is operating. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Barry

On my server computor and activating WideClient.exe I get the message "WideClient Error- failed to star client".

You must not try running WideClient on the Server! WideClient runs on the Client PC. The Server has "WideServer.DLL" installed into FS.

Both WideClient and WideServer produce Log files (called WideClient.Log and WideServer.Log respectively) in their folders. When anything goes wrong all the detrails will be in there. You need to check the Logs -- show them here if you have problems you don't understand.

Please also check the WideFS documentation. There's a lot in there.

Regards,

Pete

Pete wrote:-

>You must not try running WideClient on the Server! WideClient runs on the Client PC. The Server has "WideServer.DLL" installed into FS. <

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for the quick answer.

On my server machine in the modules sub-directory of FS2002 I have FSUIPC .dll, .ini and log files. Also are included WideServer .dll, .ini and log files.

On my client machine which has the project magenta CDU/PFD/MCP directories I have a FSData directory in which I have the WideClient .exe, .ini,and txt files.

I've just tried again only to get the smae message on the client machine. and looking in the WideClient log syas "3015 Error on Client gethostby name (Error 11001) Host not found. I will check the network settings even though the task bar Icons shows the LAN is working.

Regards,

Barry

I've just tried again only to get the smae message on the client machine.

Ah, so you ARE running WideClient on the client PC, not the Server as you implied originally? That's good.

and looking in the WideClient log syas "3015 Error on Client gethostby name (Error 11001) Host not found. I will check the network settings even though the task bar Icons shows the LAN is working.

It is a Windows error message. As far as I know it simply means that you haven't given the correct name for the Server. Why don't you just show me both the WideClient Log file and the WideClient INI file? I'm sure it will be obvious, but you are feeding me information in such small tidbits that I cannot tell you anything useful yet.

Regards,

Pete

Peter wrote:-

>Why don't you just show me both the WideClient Log file and the WideClient INI file? I'm sure it will be obvious, but you are feeding me information in such small tidbits that I cannot tell you anything useful yet. <

As requested Peter,

********* WideClient.DLL Log [version 6.101] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 24/11/03, Time 13:04:56.187: Client name is PC30

625 Attempting to connect now

671 Trying TCP/IP host "PC40" ...

671Okay, IP Address = 198.168.0.2

1750 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

1828 Ready to try connection again

1828 Attempting to connect now

10671 New Client Application: "cdu" (Id=832)

11328 New Client Application: "PFD" (Id=660)

13421 New Client Application: "MCP" (Id=708)

; PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details

; =====================================================

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=32000,32000,112,27

Visible=Yes

UseTCPIP=Yes

ServerName=PC40

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

Run1=C:\cdu\cdu.EXE

Run2=C:\MCP\MCP.exe

Run3=C:\PFD\PFD.EXE

; ===============================================

Hope this is of some use - all help to this computer illiterate greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Barry

671 Trying TCP/IP host "PC40" ...

671Okay, IP Address = 198.168.0.2

1750 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

Okay. This "connection refused" error is a message from Windows. All the Windows documentation says about this is: "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

I really don't know enough about Networks to know what could do this, but my first guess would be some sort of firewall, either, for example, the one built into Windows XP, or maybe some add-on protection you have running, like Zonealarm.

Hopefully someone else here may have an answer, or you could try Katy Pluta over in the FS2004 Forum. She's helped me on innumerable occasions in the Network area.

Regards,

Pete