The simFlight Network Forums

Looking for popup trim tab display panels

Sorry if I didn't correctly define the subject title.

I'm trying to create--or if I'm lucky, find and/or be pointed to a preexisting one--a 2D popup panel that displays the trim tab positions. I can easily position the tabs using either LINDA (as button and/or switch positions) or FSUIPC as the same or as an axis control. What I'm wanting is a small panel that will display, either analog or digital, the current positions of the trim tabs. 

I've tried mapping their LVars, but they come up oddly (elevator trim, for example, c1ElevatorTrim) and do not display their value when traced. Using their FSX controls I can input changes to their positions but I don't see any way of viewing their current positions.

All I want to do is fairly simple, at least vis-a-vis the actual panel appearance. A simple small window that shows this:

Aileron: [position in degrees]

Rudder: [position in degrees]

Elevator: [position in degrees]

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I'm not looking for software I need to buy in order to get preset panels, though. 

~Masterius

I am slightly confused you first say that you want the trim tab positions, but then say:

On 11/13/2022 at 11:26 AM, Masterius said:

All I want to do is fairly simple, at least vis-a-vis the actual panel appearance. A simple small window that shows this:

i.e. actual positions in degrees.

For Aileron position, you can use offsets 0x03B0 for left aileron deflection (in radians - easy to convert to degrees) and 0x03B8 for the tight aileron deflection, or 0x2EA8 for average of left/right deflection.  For the aileron trim deflection, you can use offset 0x2EB0 (also in radians).  If you search the offset status document, you will also find the offsets for rudder and elevator deflection, as well as the corresponding trim deflection.

For displaying the values in a pop-up window, maybe take a look at the script provided in this user contribution which you can adapt: 

John

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

I am slightly confused you first say that you want the trim tab positions, but then say:

That is because I didn't make that clear. The intention was that they were trim tab positions, as would be implied by the panel window selection.  So it would appear like this

Trim Tab Positions:

For displaying the values in a pop-up window, maybe take a look at the script provided in this user contribution which you can adapt: 

I'll do just that! And thanks for getting back to me!

~Masterius

15 hours ago, Masterius said:

Whelp, I've played around with this for a bit, but I don't think it'll work, mostly because I'm using P3Dv5, and it doesn't seem to play well with ipc.setowndisplay and ipc.display.

That is strange - I thought those functions were working ok in P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 - it is MSFS that is having issues with message displays.
I'm a bit busy at the moment (new version to prepare for the MSFS SU11 release), but I will take a look at this when time permits (hopefully next week).

John

Ugh. Not sure how I screwed up, but somehow I did. Mostly, I suspect, because I've no idea how to create, only how to dissect, disassemble, then put back piecemeal. For whatever reason--and after a great deal of butchery--I've got something that works, and does just what I wanted. I cannot begin to tell you how appreciative I was--and still am--of your willingness to look into this for me.

I have two questions about some odd behavior, however. I suspect I know what it is, but I thought I'd wing it past you nonetheless. For one, there is a line in the program --ipc.setowndisplay(" HUD Params", 35, 25, 12,12)-- that, instead of displaying the title of "HUD Params" instead displays "SimConnect". If I'm correct, that is because the FS I'm using is P3D and that simply is how P3D interfaces. The second is that one of the undocked windows flickers in time to the refresh rate of the program. I have three monitors, and the leftmost one is where I drag and position undocked panel windows such as radio panels, mini controls, etc. Again, if I'm understanding things correctly (which I assure you is seldom the case) P3D treats undocked windows differently through SimConnect, and so they are likely flickering because the HUD Params program is also working through SimConnect?

At any rate, I now have a spiffy little popup that shows all three trim tab degree positions, which is exactly what I'd wanted. Thanks again for sharing the HUD Params script!

~Masterius

On 11/15/2022 at 7:39 PM, Masterius said:

For one, there is a line in the program --ipc.setowndisplay(" HUD Params", 35, 25, 12,12)-- that, instead of displaying the title of "HUD Params" instead displays "SimConnect". If I'm correct, that is because the FS I'm using is P3D and that simply is how P3D interfaces.

Yes, this is correct - the title is ignored in P3D (as the manual states, although it references P3Dv4 when it should just reference P3D - I will update).

The second is that one of the undocked windows flickers in time to the refresh rate of the program. I have three monitors, and the leftmost one is where I drag and position undocked panel windows such as radio panels, mini controls, etc. Again, if I'm understanding things correctly (which I assure you is seldom the case) P3D treats undocked windows differently through SimConnect, and so they are likely flickering because the HUD Params program is also working through SimConnect?

The same simconnect connection is used by FSUIPC for all operations (apart for monitoring of AI traffic where a separate connection is usually used) and FSUIPC knows nothing about your displays - that is all controlled by the FS. I am not sure why you see this flickering - is it the same regardless of the monitor where you position the window?
If you post/attach your lua script here, I can try it and see if I see the same begavior.

At any rate, I now have a spiffy little popup that shows all three trim tab degree positions, which is exactly what I'd wanted. Thanks again for sharing the HUD Params script!

No problem. Maybe consider creating a post in the User Contributions sub-forum and attach your script there, with an appropriate description, for others to use.

John

2 hours ago, John Dowson said:

If you post/attach your lua script here, I can try it and see if I see the same begavior.

2 hours ago, John Dowson said:

No problem. Maybe consider creating a post in the User Contributions sub-forum and attach your script there, with an appropriate description, for others to use.

Well, I'm not using my butchered bodge job script any longer, as Al (ark1320) very kindly created a trim tab popup script for me in response to my asking for coding assistance. Needless to say, it's a lot better written then mine🤪

Still, it was worth the experience, as I've never played with the parameters/coding like the ones in this script. And one thing I've discovered long ago: I enjoy coding as much as I do flying!

Ok - maybe you or @ark1320could share the script (either here or in User Contributions), or post a link to where available. Maybe useful for others who come across this.

Thanks,

John

I put the scripts called P3D_Flt_Params.lua and MSFS_Flt_Params.lua  in the User Contribution area. Post is called Display P3D and MSFS Aircraft Flight Parameters

Al

• Like 1