The simFlight Network Forums

PFC Cabinet Digital Throttle Quadrant & Cirrus Mooney Yo

Hi, Pete!

The last year I used the Game Port Version of the PFC Cirrus Mooney Yoke and now I bought the Cabinet Digital Throttle Quadrant with the Seneca Levers.

If I use the Mooney Yoke with the CH Gameport Driver I can program all Yoke Buttons in FSUIPC 3.125. Now if I connect the Yoke at the Throttle Quadrant I can't program the Buttons and the right Button (not the rocker switch) is'nt available.

Also I would like to know if it's possible to use the built-in Throttle of the Yoke too? This is as well not available too.

Best regards,

Martin

The last year I used the Game Port Version of the PFC Cirrus Mooney Yoke and now I bought the Cabinet Digital Throttle Quadrant with the Seneca Levers.

"Cabinet Digital"? Is this a PFC product?

As far as I know, all current PFC digital gear, connected via COM port, is usable AND programmable through my PFC.DLL. Maybe some earlier stuff is only supported through their own drivers, I do not know.

If I use the Mooney Yoke with the CH Gameport Driver I can program all Yoke Buttons in FSUIPC 3.125. Now if I connect the Yoke at the Throttle Quadrant I can't program the Buttons and the right Button (not the rocker switch) is'nt available.

PFC.DLL supports all the switches and buttons that are supported by the current digital control boards inside PFC systems. Furthermore, they are made visible to FSUIPC too, for even more flexibility.

I don't know what equipment you are using, but if it is PFC and current, then everything should work as far as I know. If not you need to contact PFC to see what is going on.

Also I would like to know if it's possible to use the built-in Throttle of the Yoke too?

You have a throttle built into the Yoke? This is not a piece of equipment I am familiar with then, sorry. You need to get support from the makers.

Regards,

Pete

Oh yes. I mean the Digital Throttle Quadrant Console from PFC. I think there is only one. Of course this Console is connected via COM Port, and the Mooney Yoke you can see here http://www.flypfc.com/entertainment%20pooney.html

Now this Yokes are USB, but one year ago they where Gameport connected.

Could it be, that there was something changed at the hardware by PFC without your knowledge?

Regards,

Martin

the Mooney Yoke you can see here http://www.flypfc.com/entertainment%20pooney.html

Ah, I never saw the one with the throttle before.

It does say, just below the picture:

"If used in conjunction with a PFC flight console: These yokes can be specially wired to work with our hardware controller found only in our Flight Consoles and Throttle Quadrant Console."

Has yours been so re-wired? I had a Jetliner yoke which I had to rewire for this.

I think you need to talk to PFC about it.

Regards,

Pete

Oh, that's the reason. What a shame, that I don't read this.

I bought my Yoke from the German Reseller Verkosoft and I think this Yoke is not re-wired. At Verkosoft they told me to send them the Yoke and to change the connection to USB. I don't know what is better, to USB or re-wire for the Throttle Quadrant Console?

To send the Yoke to Germany or even to USA is very expensive for me.

But another one question. Is it possible to change the usage from a Lever of the Throttle Quadrant? I mean to use one lever with an other function as normal. I want to use for example the mixture lever for the reverser.

Unfortunately there is no option at pfc.dll.

Regards,

Martin

I bought my Yoke from the German Reseller Verkosoft and I think this Yoke is not re-wired. At Verkosoft they told me to send them the Yoke and to change the connection to USB. I don't know what is better, to USB or re-wire for the Throttle Quadrant Console?

If you are happy with it as it was, through the Game Port, then why not leave it be? I don't really see any advantage in making it USB unless you have a PC with no Game Port -- even then you can get game port adapters for USB.

The re-wiring for the Throttle Quadrant system was not that hard for me, even with the pedestal-based Jetliner yoke -- the wires had to be fed through the whole stem and resoldered. I would think it not a hard job with your yoke. But why not take advice from PFC themselves? Check their site, send them an email. I think their support is good. Explain your level of competence, electrics and wiring-wise, and see what they advise.

I think they would need to send you a new bit of circuit in any case.

But another one question. Is it possible to change the usage from a Lever of the Throttle Quadrant? I mean to use one lever with an other function as normal. I want to use for example the mixture lever for the reverser.

If it is connected through the game port, then it is assigned in FS's assignments. Just go into FS options-controls-assignments, select the joystick axes, and re-assign it there. It is quite easy.

Regards,

Pete

If it's connected through the game-port I know how to change those options, but I meant if it's connected through the COM Port and handled with the pfc.dll.

Also I noticed, that the 2 Levers for the engines are not synchron. The left one is a bit faster then the right one. So I must move one lever before the other to get constant thrust for both engines.

Maybe this problem is caused through the potentiometers?

Regards,

Martin

If it's connected through the game-port I know how to change those options, but I meant if it's connected through the COM Port and handled with the pfc.dll.

AhI doubt if the Throttle module has any provision for that extra axis. if it has, I don't know about it and it isn't in the 'spec. But, again, aquestion for PFC. Sorry.

Also I noticed, that the 2 Levers for the engines are not synchron. The left one is a bit faster then the right one. So I must move one lever before the other to get constant thrust for both engines.

Maybe this problem is caused through the potentiometers?

You might improve that with better calibration, but, yes, no two pots are the same. But take a look at where the thrust levers are in a real aircraft some time. Unless it's fly-by-wire, they are rarely exactly lined up for the same thrust. You want ease of use, or realism? .

I have provided Throttle Sync in the most recent version, in case it is really important, but then you only need to use one lever .

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete, Martin,

AhI doubt if the Throttle module has any provision for that extra axis. if it has, I don't know about it and it isn't in the 'spec. But, again, aquestion for PFC. Sorry.

doesn't the digital throttle cabinet use the same PFC.dll as the Cirrus2?

If so, couldn't this be achieved by simply going into the throttle quadrants page of PFC.dll and setting up a user defined quadrant?

Regards,

Frank

doesn't the digital throttle cabinet use the same PFC.dll as the Cirrus2?

Yes.

If so, couldn't this be achieved by simply going into the throttle quadrants page of PFC.dll and setting up a user defined quadrant?

If the throttle on this yoke cabinet is detected by the digital circuitry in the digital throttle cabinet then yes, assuming it produced one of the same codes to the PC as one of the 6 standard throttle quadrant levers. But if it did the latter, what happens to the duplicated axis?

If it is recognised but produces a separate unique code, then PFC DLL won't currently recognise it because it is certainly not specified. The axes PFC DLL sees are the 6 on the quadrant, aileron, elevator, rudder, left brake and right brake. These are the ones specified.

My betting is that the extra throttle axis isn't recognised in the current firmware.

But all this is a question for PFC, not I. I can only implement the software, it is they who design and make the hardware and firmware.

Regards,

Pete

Good morning,

If the throttle on this yoke cabinet is detected by the digital circuitry in the digital throttle cabinet then yes, assuming it produced one of the same codes to the PC as one of the 6 standard throttle quadrant levers. But if it did the latter, what happens to the duplicated axis?

there is possibly some misunderstanding here.

I think this question referrs to one of the throttle quadrant levers, not to the additional throttle on the yoke. That's why I thought a user defined quadrant might do it.

To Martin: If I were you I'd leave the yoke at the gameport. There is no additional functionality you can gain from changing to USB or rewiring for the connection to the cabinet. You can then use the additional throttle on the yoke for any axis control that is available in FS's assignments or via the joystick section of FSUIPC.

Regards,

Frank

there is possibly some misunderstanding here.

I think this question referrs to one of the throttle quadrant levers, not to the additional throttle on the yoke. That's why I thought a user defined quadrant might do it.

Ahyes. Sorry. :oops: I did read it as if the context was re-use of the throttle on the yoke.

Of course, any of the 6 levers can be used for almost any axis-type input. With the latest driver there is even a Flaps assignemtn on which you can calibrate 7 intermediate positions (good for the 737 for example). In the next version there will also be provision for a Spoiler/Speed Brake lever with both Arm and Flight detentes.

Thanks for the clarification. I did make the wrong assumption. I'd advise Martin, if he's reading this, to check the PFC User Guide. There's a list of all the things you can assign to the PFC throttle quadrand axes.

Regards,

Pete