The simFlight Network Forums

Keyboard Layout / Keystroke Changes in MSFS

Bruskey

*** Moved from main support forum to FSUIPC7 / MSFS support sub-forum ***

Hello.  I have the latest version of MSFS SU12 (MS Store Version) and FSUIPC 7.3.19 if I allow FSUIPC to start automatically via EXE.xml or if i start FSUIPC manually before MSFS starts my keyboard keys get changed.  Its almost like macros or something take over, if i type the letter "K" as an example, "K" no longer works/appears in MSFS, or outside of MSFS for that matter (editor or browser as an example), same with other keyboard keys or ALT Enter in MSFS to switch between full and window screen, keystrokes within and outside of MSFS take on new meaning.  To resolve i have to restart my computer or even unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back into the USB port brings keyboard keys back to normal.   If I wait to start FSUIPC after MSFS loads to main screen I do not see this behavior.  I uninstalled FSUIPC and reinstalled and also deleted my Keyboard Profile in MSFS and recreated it but i still see same behavior if i allow FSUIPC to start prior to MSFS being up.  Any recommendations or suggestions please? 

Bruce

Edited by John Dowson
Moved to FSUIPC7 support forum

This is very strange...There is no difference in functionality that is dependent upon when FSUIPC7 is started. Did this happen in previous versions of MSFS / FSUIPC? What was your previous FSUIPC7 version?

Are you using any special ini parameters in FSUIPC in FSUIPC for key handling, such as UseKeyboardHookTrapMSFSkeys or LuaTrapKeyEvent?

On 3/29/2023 at 4:25 PM, Bruskey said:

or even unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back into the USB port brings keyboard keys back to normal.

This is also very strange. FSUIPC receives all keyboard input from either MSFS (by default) or windows (when it has the focus or when UseKeyboardHook is set) and does nothing with the keyboard as a device.

Could you show me/attach  your FSUIPC7.ini file please.

On 3/29/2023 at 4:25 PM, Bruskey said:

Any recommendations or suggestions please? 

Not at the moment. This is very perplexing and seems to be particular to your system or installation. I cannot think of anything that could possibly cause this behavior....

John

Hi John thanks for the reply. I reinstalled FSUIPC on a totally different drive and selected only the minimal components necessary during installation. So far this has done the trick, not sure if moving to a different drive made the difference or minimal component install did.  When .20 comes out I will try with all components back installed but on this new drive. For now I'm working.

Thanks Bruce 

No other installation components can cause the issues you describe, and the only other component that actually runs with MSFS is the WASM module. You only need that if using lvars, hvars, presets or calculator code - or if using other add-ons that use the FSUIPC WASM module. The other components are documentation and SDK related (i.e. for developers).

John