The simFlight Network Forums

Best Realistic Flight Simulator for a Tech Enthusiast: Your Recommendations?

Alex Reed

Hey everyone,

I just finished my master's program in a technical field, and I'm looking to download a realistic flight simulator to dive into. I've heard a lot about MSFS and X-Plane, but I'm wondering what you all would recommend if you were choosing your first flight sim with your experience.

I'm really into aviation and tech, so I'm looking for something that offers high realism and a great flying experience. Also, if anyone has recommendations for motion simulators or similar setups, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks for your help!

Hey Alex,

Congrats on finishing your master's! If you're looking for a realistic flight simulator, both MSFS and X-Plane are excellent choices. Personally, I would recommend starting with Microsoft Flight Simulator. It has incredibly detailed graphics and a wide range of aircraft, plus the world scenery is unmatched thanks to Bing Maps integration. It's great for both VFR and IFR flying.

Thanks, RaceAce01! MSFS does look amazing from what I've seen. How about the technical side? Is it demanding on hardware? I've got a decent setup, but I want to make sure it can handle it well.

Yes, MSFS can be quite demanding, especially if you crank up the settings. However, it's well-optimized, and with a good PC, you should be able to get a smooth experience. Just make sure you have a strong GPU and enough RAM. X-Plane is a bit less demanding, but it's also very realistic, especially with its flight physics.

That’s good to know. I'm definitely leaning towards MSFS now. Speaking of realism, I've been using a DOFReality motion platform recently, and it's been a game-changer. Do you have any experience with motion simulators or similar setups?

Yes, DOFReality platforms are fantastic! While I haven't used one myself, I’ve heard great things from friends who have. They say it adds a whole new dimension to the experience, especially in VR. If you're already enjoying it, sticking with DOFReality for MSFS would be a great choice.

I’m really impressed with it so far. I’ll definitely look into using it with MSFS. One last thing—what about add-ons? Any must-have recommendations to enhance the experience?

For MSFS, I'd recommend getting the A32NX mod by FlyByWire for a more realistic Airbus experience. Also, check out scenery add-ons from ORBX and weather mods like REX Weather Force. They can significantly enhance the realism and immersion.