The simFlight Network Forums

Calculating Angle of Attack (AoA)

Hi

I'm looking to retrieve the current Angle of Attack (AoA) from FS2002.

The SDK docs have the following to say about the AoA value:

"Angle of Attack. This is actually a relative value, giving in %*32767 the difference between the current AofA and the maximum angle of attack for the current aircraft. For a relative measure of AofA calculate 100-(100*#/32767), where # is this number. (Thanks to Sergey Khantsis for this clarification)."

My question is where do I find the maximum AoA for the current aircraft so I can calculate the actual current AoA? I looked at the .air files and the .cfg files but didn't see it listed.

Can someone point me to a table listing the maximum AoA for the different aircraft in FS2002?

Thanks

Guest hsors

Hi

You can directly retrieve actual body angle of attack at location &H2ED0

(it is INCIDENCE_ALPHA) ; of course this is not necessarily wing angle of attack which also depends on wing incidence and wing twist both beeing defined in the aircraft.cfg file

Hope this will help

Hervé

Hi,

You can also calculate angle of attack (without wing angle that is) by using the pitch, TAS and the vertical speed of the aircraft.

TAS=GS+COS(hdg-windhdg)*windspeed

From trigonometry you also know that:

AOA=Plane pitch + (angle of the vertical movement of the aircraft to the horizontal)*

* can be found by doing basic trigonometry:

sin(a)=b / c where "c"=the hypotenusa and "b" = the vertical speed

c=SQRT of TAS^2+vertical speed^2

Now you only need to convert sin(a) back to a using asin and that's it !

I hope this is a little bit clear because I can't put these things in a nice formula here....

ind regards,

Björn

[/i]

Guest Bob Scott

AoA max is found by examination of table 404 in the airfile. Using Aircraft Airfile Manager or AirEd (both good freeware utilities) examine the AoA vs CL curve...the "X" value at the peak is AoA Max, expressed in radians.

Regards

Bob Scott

ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V