The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle jumps in FSX

Hi,

I had a working environment for a long time and my USB hub died. Anyhow all works again but I am not getting my TPM throttle to work.

The problem is it is jumping on the last few mm.

All the way out, I see a calibration value of -16384, all the way in it is 16383. The problem is, moving it just a bit out, it will not go to 16382, 16381 etc, it is directly jumping to 0 and then increments by 1 until it is moved all the way out...So basically I am either missing all the positive values or there is some sort of reverser set. 

This makes it impossible to fly as the RPM is juming a lot.

I don't know what is wrong, tried for hours now.

Any idea?

Thank you,

SJ

1 hour ago, Parachutesj said:

All the way out, I see a calibration value of -16384, all the way in it is 16383. The problem is, moving it just a bit out, it will not go to 16382, 16381 etc, it is directly jumping to 0 and then increments by 1 until it is moved all the way out...So basically I am either missing all the positive values or there is some sort of reverser set. 

Are you using FSUIPC? You don't say.

If so, are you assigning in FSUIPC -- and if so, what to? (the name of the assignment target).

And did you try calibrating with 0 or a little above as your minimum? That would be an easy solution -- though it wouldn't explain the problem.

Generally this sort of strange one-sided input value is down to some poor registry entries, possibly made by an installer. But I've never heard of one which has -16384 as the only negative, then the normal positive range. They are usually positive only when wrongly registered.

-16384 is also what you get with a disconnected joystick (or rather the disconnection of the device inside of it). So maybe your device is going wrong? Did you check it with Windows calibration?

What is this "TPM" by the way? Is that the GoFlight device with Cessna type pull-push controls for the three single engine prop plane controls? Is so, isn't it using a GoFlight driver?

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for getting back.

Yes I am using FSUIPC. The Saitek TPM (Throttle, Prop, Mixture) controller. It is basically a replacement for the throttle quadrant. 
The strange thing is, it has 3 levers: mixture works, the other two not.

Under Axis assignment, -> send directly to FSUIPC Calibration, choose Throttle and then set the endpoints under Joystick calibration.

But you are right, if I set a value as above 0 (-61) it works. it did not work with 0 before what I had tried.

Thank you very much for reminding me and pointing that out!

Cheers,
SJ

1 hour ago, Parachutesj said:

Yes I am using FSUIPC. The Saitek TPM (Throttle, Prop, Mixture) controller. It is basically a replacement for the throttle quadrant. 
The strange thing is, it has 3 levers: mixture works, the other two not.

Ah, Saitek. Their installers seem very prone to getting the Registry descriptions for their devices wrong. Please see the FAQ subforum. The thread "Some saitek axes only provide partial movement" may well be very relevant.

Pete

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. The Saitek TPM (Throttle, Prop, Mixture) controller worked fine. I just installed FSX Steam edition on a new PC. The radios and other devices did not work so I went to Saitek and installed the latest drivers. Once I installed the latest drivers, then the Saitek TPM throttle jumps the last bit. SO I can go from 0 - 11700 rpm without issue then it jumps to full power. there is no way to control power between 1500 and 2000 rpm. I have tired different planes, re calibrating the device. Nothing works. Help would be appreciated.  

It works fine on Xplane (under different user account). I had hoped to use FSX for the learning lessons. 

On 2/15/2018 at 12:35 PM, IconPilot said:

I have the same problem. The Saitek TPM (Throttle, Prop, Mixture) controller worked fine. I just installed FSX Steam edition on a new PC. The radios and other devices did not work so I went to Saitek and installed the latest drivers. Once I installed the latest drivers, then the Saitek TPM throttle jumps the last bit. SO I can go from 0 - 11700 rpm without issue then it jumps to full power. there is no way to control power between 1500 and 2000 rpm. I have tired different planes, re calibrating the device. Nothing works. Help would be appreciated.  

Are you using FSUIPC? If so, just for calibration, or for assignment too? There's really not enough information in your post. All I can gather is that you are running FSX-SE.

Pete