The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS-problem (Frames)

Hi,

I use two PC on Windows-10. Further I use FS9 and ProjectMagenta on each PC.

My problem:

WideFS seems to run nearly perfectly. But after aproximitly two hours the FS9-frames begin to sink (50 down to 10-30).

If I close wideFS, the frames grow up to 50 again. After starting WideFS new/again, the frames are still at 50. But after two hours, the frames begin to sink again.

I hope, that anyone has an idea and can help me.

I am new in this Forum. My Name is Thomas (Hamburg, Germany).

Thank you!

By "closing WideFS" do you mean terminating the WideClient application on the Client, or disabling WideFS in the FSUIPC options dialogue?

Is Project Magenta running on two Client PCs, or partly on the Client and partly on the Server? I e. do you mean 3 PCs or 2?

Normally a slow down over time is due to memory running short forcing Windows to move things more and more onto page tables on disc. If the Networking is doing this it probably means there's something wrong with your Network settings or drivers, or even, possibly, with the Networking hardware. I once had a similar thing happening and it was due to a failing Networking chip or circuitry on the motherboard, and purchasing a separate Network card fixed it.

You talk about 50 fps, but what is the FPS for WideClient (shown optionally in its title bar, and also logged when it closes -- in fact logged by WideServer too)? It shouldn't be much more than 30. Really, for best and most consistent performance and smooth operation you should limit FS's own frame rate to around 30.

When the frame rate on FS deteriorates, what happens to the frame rate on the Client? Does it stay at 30 or so whilst the FS rate descreases from 50 to 30, or does is decrease proportionately?

One thing which can improve performance is choosing UDP instead of TCP protocol. This has less red-tape error checking, and won't do retries in the event of bad packets. If that fixes it completely then you'll know something is wrong with the Network and it is retrying too often, causing a build-up. The only disadvantage with UDP is that it doesn't guarantee delivery, nor does it guarantee that packets arrive in the order sent. If performance and reliability on the Network is good, this shouldn't really matter, but if there is any problem it can make PM's actions go wrong because certain things needed in sequence don't operate in that sequence.

That said, I have been using PM on an 8 Client Network with UDP (and Broadcasts enabled for even more efficiency) for years with no problems then -- nor since, after changing over to Prosim737. (Note that the Broadcasting option simply makes the Server send the same data out once, with all Clients getting all the data whether they requested it or not. This is instead of only sending the data requested by each client, individually. So it wouldn't be of any advantage on a single client setup).

Pete