The simFlight Network Forums

Microsoft Security problem

jaje

Hi Peter

Having probs with Microsoft Security Essentials. Just installed P3D v3, after running FSX for years, and downloaded the latest FSUIPC modules. As soon as I try to expand the zip, MSE deletes the files and posts "Trojan: Win32/Varpes.M!cl".

As a result, my installation on P3D hasn't happened, and my FSX no longer has access to FSUIPC.

Any suggestions gratefully received

John

FSUIPC is fine. MSE is getting a false positive. You'll need to report it to MS -- I'm sure there must be a mechanism for that. . Meanwhile there must surely be a way of making an exception in that package..

Are you using the 4.957 Installer BTW? There's no other supported version for P3D at present.

Pete

Thanks for the info Pete. I can't find any way to report a false positive to MSE, but managed to instal 4.957 by turning off MSE and everything is fine. I just wonder if it uses pattern recognition to make the identification - I do notice that there are a few typos in the documentation with random full stops in the word chain for example. I'll keep trying to get in touch with MSE and report the false positive

John

7 minutes ago, jaje said:

I do notice that there are a few typos in the documentation with random full stops in the word chain for example.

What MSE documentation, or FSUIPC?

Virus checkers aren't looking at text but program fragments. They have a library binary code sections which they compare to.  They'd be well out of luck with FSUIPC because it is compressed and scrambled and only becomes code when it is finally loaded into FS's memory. Random matches could easily occur but be totally meaningless.

Pete