The simFlight Network Forums

Hi Pete, having trouble getting wideFS connected

HI Pete.  I have registered FSUIPC and wide FS for Prepar3d V4 on my main computer and wide FS (registered) on my client.  All network traffic unblocked.

wideFS client seems to open fine but remains in "waiting for connection" when I run prepar3d.  

I've read the manual, seems pretty straight forward but I must be missing something.  Any suggestions where to begin?

Thanks Jason

9 minutes ago, Jasonstory44 said:

I have registered FSUIPC and wide FS for Prepar3d V4 on my main computer and wide FS (registered) on my client.

The client doesn't have a registration. Only the server. You can have as many client PCs as you want.

10 minutes ago, Jasonstory44 said:

wideFS client seems to open fine but remains in "waiting for connection" when I run prepar3d.  

And what does the Server say? There are always two ends to a network connection.

Show me the WideServer.LOG from the Modules folder in P3D, and the WideClient.LOG file from the folder on the Client in which you placed WideClient.

The most usual problem is that you have the two PCs in a different Windows workgroup. if that is the case then one cannot receive broadcasts from the other, so if you are running WideClient with default settings it will not see the Server. You can either rename the workgroup in one PC to match the other, or simply provide the IP address and protocol in the Wideclient.INI file. All this is explained in the first few paragraphs of the "configure your network" section of the WideFS user guide (page 4).

3 minutes ago, Jasonstory44 said:

, I am going to ask something probably stupid here...but do I install wideFS on both the server and client machines?

Oh dear, you ARE mixed up, aren't you!  Why is that?

WideFS consists of a SERVER which is part of FSUIPC. FSUIPC only runs inside the sim. The other part is the CLIENT, which runs on one or more clients. The SERVER serves the CLIENTs, by feeding it data and acting on stuff it sends back. That's the whole idea of networks, to exchange or share information between two or more machines.

I really cannot believe you have read any of the WideFS User Guide.  On page 3 there are sections clearly marked "On the Flight Simulator PC [FAX or later]" and "On each client PC".

Please do make use of the documentation provided! That is what it is for.

Pete

11 minutes ago, Jasonstory44 said:

and I installed widefs on the client as thats how I understood the directions to read.  Is that correct?

As documented clearly, the ONLY thing going on the client is wideclient.exe. There's no "install" as such, just copy one file into a folder of your choice!

9 minutes ago, Jasonstory44 said:

and I only have 2 computers on the same home workgroup.

Well, the Client is not receiving broadcasts from the Server, so something is wrong there. Try following the directions to add parameters to the Wideclient.INI file.

Pete