The simFlight Network Forums

Joystick on Client

Hi,

On the Server there is the FS2004.

On the Client i have installed the PM-MCDU.

I want to write to the MCDU-Scratchpad using the FSUIPC Keyboard Interface with Joystick Buttons.

my Question:

Is it better to install the Joystick on the Server,and let FSUIPC send

the Button-Events to the Client-

-or-

is it better to install the Joystick on the Client(where the MCDU is installed).

I think,when i install the Joystick on the Client,the Button Event will be sent to the Server FIRST,and then BACK to the Client.

One way too much -compared to an Joystick,which is installed on the Server and only needs to send ONE WAY(from Server to CLIENT).

Am I right?

What should i do - what is the better way for (Network)-Performance?

Please give advice to me.

Best regards,

Thomas

Is it better to install the Joystick on the Server,and let FSUIPC send

the Button-Events to the Client-

-or-

is it better to install the Joystick on the Client(where the MCDU is installed).

Assuming you are talking about using FSUIPC controls to do this, then obviously it is more efficient in terms of Network use, and also to reduce the latency in the response, to connect to the Server.

The only way it would be more efficient on the Client would be if the MCDU itself could accept your inputs, but I don't think it has button programming facilities. Some joystick drivers offer keypress capabilities from buttons, so that's another possibility.

I think,when i install the Joystick on the Client,the Button Event will be sent to the Server FIRST,and then BACK to the Client.

One way too much -compared to an Joystick,which is installed on the Server and only needs to send ONE WAY(from Server to CLIENT).

Correct.

Regards,

Pete

Assuming you are talking about using FSUIPC controls to do this, then obviously it is more efficient in terms of Network use, and also to reduce the latency in the response, to connect to the Server.

Thanks for the advice.

I´ll take measures.

regards,

Thomas

is it also possible to connect a Joystick on the CLIENT and FSUIPC recognizes the Joystik-AXIS (under FSUIPC\Joysticks) ,so that i can map/assign/calibrate them ?

No, not at present. Only buttons and switches. For flight control axes it isn't a good idea because of the latency (delays involved), but I suppose it could be useful for other axis assignments, like flap setting perhaps. But it isn't a facility high on my list. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete

is it also possible to connect a Joystick on the CLIENT and FSUIPC recognizes the Joystik-AXIS (under FSUIPC\Joysticks) ,so that i can map/assign/calibrate them ?

No, not axes at present. Only buttons and switches. For flight control axes it isn't a good idea because of the latency (delays involved), but I suppose it could be useful for other axis assignments, like flap setting perhaps. But it isn't a facility high on my list. Sorry.

You could check out FS Communicator http://www.flightsimulator.at/frm_fscom.htm. I think it might be able to do this and more.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I asked, because i use FSComm and the FlyByWire Module already. :)

FSComm supports only the necessariest Axis (Elevator/Aileron/Throttle).

But my Sidestick has more Axis then this 3.

I want to assign the Spoilers/Flaps also.

Robert Fischer said, maybe FSUIPC could assign the remaining Axis.

But it isn't a facility high on my list. Sorry.

if it is on your list,all is good. :D

best regards,

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

you wrote:

No, not axes at present. Only buttons and switches. For flight control axes it isn't a good idea because of the latency (delays involved), but I suppose it could be useful for other axis assignments, like flap setting perhaps. But it isn't a facility high on my list. Sorry.

I don´t know ,if there are also requests from other users,but now i found out,it would be *very* useful for me,to let FSUIPC recognize also the Axis

from the Client-connected Joysticks.

As you said, it would be really useful for the Spoiler/Flap Axis.

So i would like to ask you ,if you could put this Facility a bit higher on your list... :)

Many thanks for your attention.

Kind regards,

Thomas

I don´t know ,if there are also requests from other users,but now i found out,it would be *very* useful for me,to let FSUIPC recognize also the Axis

from the Client-connected Joysticks.

As you said, it would be really useful for the Spoiler/Flap Axis.

So i would like to ask you ,if you could put this Facility a bit higher on your list... :)

Well, I'll certainly put down an extra vote for it! But I think you will see from the next Release of FSUIPC that I have been working very hard for facilities that have been much more in demand so far.

Regards,

Pete