The simFlight Network Forums

FS2004 View control

To all,

In a multimonitor setup with one PC, I would like to turn the sideviews on and (temporarily) off with a FSUIPC command. This may be useful when doing approaches in precipitation, which tends to reduce the framerates so much that it becomes impossible to do the final landing.

Is such thing possible in FS2004 and/or from FSUIPC ?

To Pete Dowson in particular,

If I remember correctly, you're running a comparable setup with a Parhelia card. What framerates do you get under these circumstances ?

Regards,

J.

In a multimonitor setup with one PC, I would like to turn the sideviews on and (temporarily) off with a FSUIPC command.

Is such thing possible in FS2004 and/or from FSUIPC ?

If there's an FS keystroke or command which does this, then it can be done through FSUIPC. I'm not aware of one specifically -- the ']' key normally closes additional windows, but you need to select them first, which tends always to be a mouse operation I think. Maybe there's another way, hopefully others may have ideas here.

Switching them back on is even more difficult I think -- once the Windows are closed there seems to be only one way to open them again -- via the Menu.

If these are only side views, have you considered using the monitors in "stretched" window mode, with just the one widescreen window at a wide-angle zoom setting, like 0.50 or 0.31? I think that works better and the frame rates suffer far less.

If I remember correctly, you're running a comparable setup with a Parhelia card. What framerates do you get under these circumstances ?

The Parhelia is being used in the way I just suggested -- three monitors providing one very wide window. The frame rates were limited until the most recent Parhelia drivers, but now I am amazed at them! I was restricting the screen resolution to 2400 x 600 x 32 and limiting the FS frame rate to 20 (the latter is so that my other WideFS PCs running Project Magenta run smoothly at similar rates). But now, still limiting the FS frame rate to 20, I can go right up to 3840 x 1024 x 32 resolution! Phenomenal!

If I wanted more that 20 fps (which I am not fussed about -- I am one of those who thinks you only need higher rates gfor fighter or helo flying, not airliners or normal GA aircraft) then I would keep the lower resolution (2400 x 600 x 32) and relax the FS limiter to 30 or so.

The reason I went for the Parhelia rather than any other multimonitor solution is that it supports 3 monitors as one screen. I think only 2 monitors are a mistake (no centre, or a centre on the gap), and with two or more video cards you can't make the screen one window, which as far as I can see is the main solution to the performance and setup problems.

Regards,

Pete

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...